Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2018, 12:11 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Want to bet someone with an 11k income is on Medicaid health insurance on tax payer dough?
From my perspective, it would appear the vast majority of working Americans will have 'retirements' on SS and Medicaid.

Among my neighbors I know people who worked until they were disabled and got SSDI. Then as they crept older they have been transitioning over to SS in the $800/month range. Fortunately these are all home-owners who have no debt, so at $800/month they are fine.

But that is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 02:46 PM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
the median ss check is over the limit for medicaid

Old 08-05-2018, 03:07 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the median ss check is over the limit for medicaid
But if their checks are only $800, that's below the median, so they probably are getting Medicaid.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:07 PM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
yes they can get it

Old 08-05-2018, 04:39 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,053,260 times
I know this is a hard to understand concept at CD but here goes:

There ARE other choices besides the extremes of being a 'wage slave/keeping up with the Joneses' and stripping away 99% of expenses to live super small.

I love what I do and where I live and the people I associate with and that requires a certain level of achievement and effort.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:19 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

There ARE other choices besides the extremes of being a 'wage slave/keeping up with the Joneses' and stripping away 99% of expenses to live super small.

I love what I do and where I live and the people I associate with and that requires a certain level of achievement and effort.
I completely agree with you. It's just that a lot of people can't get it into their heads that someone with a paid off house can actually live pretty well on a low income. If they have the skills and time to do their own home and car repairs, grow their own garden, etc., they can live quite well on a low income.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

I agree as well.

My wife is always the voice in my life saying do we need to spend so much for 'that'? Being frugal is her thing. That does not mean that we give up the things we want, nor that we must live 'small'.

We have a huge home, located exactly where we always wanted our retirement home to be. We live among a wonderful community.

My gripes are focused on how my body is failing me, and how much I hate growing older.

Old 08-05-2018, 05:54 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I completely agree with you. It's just that a lot of people can't get it into their heads that someone with a paid off house can actually live pretty well on a low income. If they have the skills and time to do their own home and car repairs, grow their own garden, etc., they can live quite well on a low income.
I don't think anyone has disputed that someone with a paid off house can get by on less money than someone who has to pay for housing, although of course the exact amount will vary by location because in some areas of the country, even on a paid off house, taxes could eat up well over half of 20K.

But a lot of people are also saying that existing isn't "living the good life." They want to be able to do fun and interesting things, go out to eat, travel, have hobbies that might cost money, buy higher quality food, esp. if they live someplace where even if they can grow some food, the growing season is just a small portion of the year. They want to be able to afford health care when they need it. And even someone who is handy is still going to have to pay for a new roof at some point, or a new water heater or refrigerator or all of the other expenses that come along with home ownership over time.

Not to mention that not everyone has the skills and interest in doing home and car repairs, or even growing their own food, and there's nothing wrong with that - doing those things are not inherent to the concept of "living the good life" in any way, although they can certainly fit into someone's personal definition of the way they want to live their life.

And of course the point that elhelmete was making, that many of us have chosen professions and careers because we derive satisfaction from them, and enjoy the work we do, not just the money it brings. I realize not everyone does, but it's just as incorrect to say that the only way to "live the good life" is to not work as it would be to say that only people going out and earning a living are living the good life.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't think anyone has disputed that someone with a paid off house can get by on less money than someone who has to pay for housing, although of course the exact amount will vary by location because in some areas of the country, even on a paid off house, taxes could eat up well over half of 20K.
$10k a year on property taxes! I did that when I was working, sold it when I retired. Who wants to pay that kind of stuff as a retiree?

Quote:
... But a lot of people are also saying that existing isn't "living the good life." They want to be able to do fun and interesting things, go out to eat, travel, have hobbies that might cost money, buy higher quality food, esp. if they live someplace where even if they can grow some food, the growing season is just a small portion of the year.
I live in Maine and we are still able to grow most of our household food.

I think we all have different ideas of what "living the good life" is all about.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:16 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
$10k a year on property taxes! I did that when I was working, sold it when I retired. Who wants to pay that kind of stuff as a retiree?

I live in Maine and we are still able to grow most of our household food.

I think we all have different ideas of what "living the good life" is all about.

Well, yes, we all have different ideas, including whether it's worth paying 10K in property taxes to stay in what that person considers a desirable location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance