Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 08:07 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post

And don't forget OUT OF THAT money he earned from 15 to 25 the OP said he bought a house and a car. So he's asking us to believe he did all that and retired by 30?
The OP did say his house cost less than what most posters have paid for their car, so I'm guessing he must have paid around 20-30K. Since his house did not cost too much, maintaining that house must be much cheaper than other areas. No rent, house paid off, low COL city, probably he factored in getting an inheritance, is not looking to relocate, he probably can pull it off. It's just not a 'good' life that most people want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:00 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Yes!!

Whatelse are you living for? To be frugal and penny pinching?

The smart people work to make lots of money and invest so they can enjoy life and buy what makes them happy and have a relaxing stress-free retirement.
I'm a little too curious for that. I want to know why the 80" tv makes me happy. Why does expensive brand name stuff appeal to me? Why do I want a house 3x bugger than what I need?

These are questions I've pondered since I was a kid. Supposedly, owning these things will keep us working hard all out lives. But what happens when you don't want stuff?

I love living the minimal lifestyle. My house isn't filled with too much stuff. My closets have only what I actually wear. The living areas aren't over crowded with expensive furniture. My house isn't so big that it takes me a full day to clean. I don't need to take out a huge loan if I want to remodel a little. If something breaks I can easily afford to fix it. Etc.

It feels sanitary, organized and refreshing.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I, for one, am not angry. I've even said what he's doing shows motivation -- to a certain extent. IF he saved all his chores and birthday money from childhood -- and worked and saved his money from 16-26, or even 16 to 30. That's 10 years or more of living on practically no money to save it. That does take a certain amount of persistence, I'll say that.

Now, usually from 16 to 20 a person isn't making THAT much, BUT living at home and saving every dime -- clearly the OP could save money even if only making 15K, 20K or even 25K or 30K. I don't think the OP ever said how much he's made at ANY given time in his life.

So did he EVER make 30K, 40K -- and pack very cent away until 26 and THEN retire? OP, what is the MOST you've every made? I ask because even saving 10K a year from age 15 (and hardly any 15 year old can do that) to 25 -- won't likely get you enough money to have passive income earning 20K.

And don't forget OUT OF THAT money he earned from 15 to 25 the OP said he bought a house and a car. So he's asking us to believe he did all that and retired by 30?

OP, if you're not on government assistance why not give more details about how you've achieved so much. Help us understand. Some of the 'anger' may be coming from a lack of information or understanding about how you've done it.

And to be fair to some of the posters. Yes, some may be angry that someone who is able-bodied (if the OP is) would rather live off the government than work.
I'd rather not get into specifics. It opens up another huge topic and gets us away from how $20k can or cannot make for a good living.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:25 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
I'll just say that I do not think one can go this route and plan to have a family. Which, I am sure the OP has no interest in having. So, it is a lifestyle that is possible, just not desired by most.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I'll just say that I do not think one can go this route and plan to have a family. Which, I am sure the OP has no interest in having. So, it is a lifestyle that is possible, just not desired by most.
I think a family is possible. $20k + wife's income = ~$45k-$55k + free childcare (me).

I know of many people who have a family income of $50k or much less ($30k). And that's with two or three kids.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Exactly!! Living the good life means making good decisions, not penny pinching living frugal. All that budget stuff is all marketing.
To me the good life is controlling your time. Time for yourself and the time you give to others (family). The more of that which is taken away the less good your life becomes.

We are all told from a young age - work hard, make good grades, work hard at college for 4-12 yrs, work hard in the job job market -- then you can live the good life with a job you love. All of that takes 20-25 years and 80% wont even get a job they kinda like. One mistake I feel that I made was going to college - waste of time and money (like Will Hunting said, I could've learned it all at the library). I definitely wont pressure my kids to go unless they are just very passionate about something.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
No. You didn't blow it on travel. That’s what you want to do and how you want to live. So that's not my definition of 'blowing' the money. 'Cause I’m right there with you. I enjoyed my $4,500 trip to Israel, my $2,500 trip to AZ and CA in the SAME year. (and want to go back) And you can't do that on 20K a year.
I can do this too. Lets say I need $7k for a few trips. I live on $9k - I have ~10k left over for whatever spending. If I don't want to tap this money so much, I could always pick up a part time job for 2-3 months before my trip. Saving every penny should net me ~2500.

This puts me in Israel in my 20s - memories most will never have or only get when they are 65+ and retired.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:51 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
i can't believe so much time and discussion went into something so hypothetical at this point.

everyone of us had plans,hopes and dreams we saw ourselves doing.

most of us all have the same ending, real life changed those plans for us.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy&EntitledLeroy View Post
OP, I agree with this poster. Why don't you tell us how you accumulated so much at an early age and managed to guarantee yourself $20,000 a year tied to inflation?
Forums are rather public places and I like to keep the details of my financials private. There is also the issue of not rewarding others with what I worked hard to accomplish.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i can't believe so much time and discussion went into something so hypothetical at this point.

everyone of us had plans,hopes and dreams we saw ourselves doing.

most of us all have the same ending, real life changed those plans for us.
I can't believe so much time DOESN'T go into discussing a topic like this.

I believe we all need to evaluate our work:goals ratio once in a while.

Obviously, for someone like me, my goals made work something that needed to be scraped off my plate.

A lot of discussion and time goes into making dreams (no job) reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance