Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2014, 03:12 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times

Advertisements

the part you don't get is a cola adjustment is not the same as your personal cost of living . like the last hew years. if you were not in debt or refinanced your cost of just about anything is up alot but the cpi based cola adjustments were not.

20k is nothing over 70 years.

take a look at what happened to those who retired in 1965 or 1966 and were met with not only 20 years of bad markets but then in a matter of a few short years got whacked with double diget inflation. they were paying 2x what they were for everything by the time inflation came down.cola adjustments were so far behind that most of that group ran out of money well before they ran out of time.

in my opinion you are severly underfunded but that is something we can't argue as time will be the judge of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 03:15 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i can assure you i will not be back to work unless i want to. my plan is as bullet proof as i could get it. at least when i retire i am leaving the gate pretty well prepared .

not working is all about the success of your safe withdrawal rate and income stream..

the less you need to pull to live and the greater your nest egg the more bullet proof the plan.

mr haskell has nooooooo nest egg to speak off . the income stream he does have has little margin for inflation and unexpected expenses and emergencies. throw in not a typical retirement time frame of 30-35 years but as much as 70 years of the unkown and it is not a successful looking situation.

it is really based more on hope than sound financial planning and hope is not a strategy.

i hope it works for him but like i said if i could bet the outcome i think i would be right.
You are hoping your plan works out. You cannot predict the future any better than I can. You are rather stuck on those boxes.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:18 AM

you don't try to rule out uncertainty , rather you plan for it.

the op is ruling it out thinking he has every expense covered and what else could possibly happen with little slack in his plan for more capital unless he works..

in fact he has not 30k in savings to last him 70 years but only 20k.

it is all about the odds. nothing is 100% but those are pretty crappy odds,

since i am a new yorker i can build a house to sandy construction standards and rest assured that at least i will be okay with the worst to date and then some.

but if i built my house to minimum 1960 standards there is a good chance i can be destroyed all to easily.

that is what planning is about.

it is about withstanding at least the worst combinations we have seen to date.

i think eddie should throw his plan into firecalc and see how his plan would have worked to date. if he failed the combinations of inflation,interest rates, market returns and market sequences in the past he has not allowed for uncertainty vs what he hopes to spend .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-13-2014 at 03:27 AM..

Old 01-13-2014, 03:26 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:

take a look at what happened to those who retired in 1965 or 1966 and were met with not only 20 years of bad markets but then in a matter of a few short years got whacked with double diget inflation. they were paying 2x what they were for everything by the time inflation came down.cola adjustments were so far behind that most of that group ran out of money well before they ran out of time.
Would I have ran out of money? $7k x 2 = $14k.

Wouldn't reducing what I buy help to isolate me somewhat? Lets say I grow my own food, add solar panels as they become a more viable option, replace driving with biking, etc. Also, if the current structure of healthcare continues, as my income goes down, insurance costs also go down. Tax rate goes down, too.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:28 AM

Quote:

it is all about the odds. nothing is 100% but those are pretty crappy odds,

since i am a new yorker i can build a house to sandy construction standards and rest assured that at least i will be okay with the worst to date and then some.

but if i built my house to minimum 1960 standards there is a good chance i can be destroyed all to easily.

that is what planning is about.

it is about withstanding at least the worst combinations we have seen to date.
Home insurance?

Old 01-13-2014, 03:29 AM

lets just say you hit the lottary .. how is that for all your lets say's.

you can think all you want about what you could do and would do. when the taste of battle comes your views,reactions and thoughts will be very different.

but enough of this what if scenerios. you won't know a thing until you are living it.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post

Who's talking about doing things half-ass?

Surely, they are thinking of Lumpy Rutherford!

Old 01-13-2014, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Home insurance?
ha ha ha . you should spend some time with sandy victims and see what that covered.

home insurance in retirement planning is called annuities.

annuities are used in combination with ones own portfolio to provide "insurance " of income stability through rough times.

as far as budget cuts ,just like corporations ,you reach a point there is nothing to cut and next step is a card board box under the bridge.

cost cutting only works until you hit bottom. that is why companies are judged on both profits and revenue. profits can come from cost cutting but can easily hit bottom.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Surely, they are thinking of Lumpy Rutherford!
oooh ward you were just to rough on the beaver last night. ha ha ha

nice dress mrs cleaver.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
lets just say you hit the lottary .. how is that for all your lets say's.

you can think all you want about what you could do and would do. when the taste of battle comes your views,reactions and thoughts will be very different.

but enough of this what if scenerios. you won't know a think until you are living it.
Well so far I'm a few years in and all smooth sailing...perhaps I can update the thread every 10 years or so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance