Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,989 times

Advertisements

As more and more States are moving towards a higher minimum wage, it will be easier to make a living on close to minimum wage if you don't have kids, take the bus, live close to work and spend wisely.

I would suggest to people who make a low income to live in a place like Spokane where there is a good economy and the cost of living is still low but the wages are higher due to a higher minimum wage. The minimum wage is also high in Oregon. If you move out of Seattle or Portland there are lots of jobs and a low cost of living.

Other posters talked about living in places like New Jersey and not being able to survive on minimum wage because of high housing costs. If you make a low income why live in New Jersey, move to the sunbelt where you can rent a nice apartment for $600 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 07:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
As more and more States are moving towards a higher minimum wage, it will be easier to make a living on close to minimum wage if you don't have kids, take the bus, live close to work and spend wisely.

I would suggest to people who make a low income to live in a place like Spokane where there is a good economy and the cost of living is still low but the wages are higher due to a higher minimum wage. The minimum wage is also high in Oregon. If you move out of Seattle or Portland there are lots of jobs and a low cost of living.

Other posters talked about living in places like New Jersey and not being able to survive on minimum wage because of high housing costs. If you make a low income why live in New Jersey, move to the sunbelt where you can rent a nice apartment for $600 a month.
I agree--move to a place where life is more affordable. I know many people that have moved out of NJ specifically because of the high property taxes there--they are just unreal there. Catch being you need to have the money to move...

You don't even need to move to the sunbelt--just get out of a major metro area into a more rural area pretty much anywhere in the country and you are looking at housing costs under $500/month in a nicer place in a safe neighborhood.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:14 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post

Not only is their min wage the highest, they also get all of their tips. There is none of that horse puckey about getting a lower wage if you work for tips. You get the min wage AND your tips.

However, you are talking about friends who live in eastern WA. Put those friends over in Seattle, and they would have a very different lifestyle; one that is in no way comfortable at all.

I find it amusing that one side wanted to up the min wage because they "deserved it", and all it did was benefit the other side, not themselves.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I definitely think someone bringing in $2500/month could live well. Imagine if they did what was already mentioned and rented a room...or share an apartment with a co-worker or friend. This could put them at $500/month. If their car is already paid off, they have it REALLY easy. I imagine they could save/invest over $1000/month.

After a few years of doing this, they would have $25k - enough for a big down payment on small home.
This was not one person making $2500/month, it was two people. Big difference there...

Old 01-01-2014, 11:43 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
This was not one person making $2500/month, it was two people. Big difference there...
I think the difference isn't too big.

The only thing that drastically goes up is the food bill. Two people buying things in bulk should be able to eat on $600/month - nothing fancy but they would get a healthy amount of calories.

They could still share an apartment with someone or another couple.

I presume both have the option of working some overtime too.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:44 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
To many presumptions

Old 01-01-2014, 12:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
If they decided to move from Spokane to Seattle they would be struggling and living in a really small, beat up studio in a bad area. Even in Spokane, if they should they decide to have kids they will be on public assistance. Hopefully they can improve their situation soon, because those jobs are not going to provide much of a retirement income, and are subject to layoffs in fluctuations in the economy. It's not a sustainable career.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:30 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:

The only thing that drastically goes up is the food bill. Two people buying things in bulk should be able to eat on $600/month - nothing fancy but they would get a healthy amount of calories.

It's not the costs going up but 2 people sharing in those costs vs one. One person paying $600 in rent vs 2 people paying $300 makes a huge difference in a budget...

Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,808 times
I grew up in Spokane. Better yet, I spent my teens-20's waiting tables in Spokane.

Yes in WA ... it is minimum wage + tips! Now $9.32/hr + tips??? Sign me up?

Waitress at Dennys in Spokane makes $9.32 + tips
1br apartment in Spokane avg $600
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Waitress at Dennys in Houston makes $2.13+ tips
1br apartment in Houston avg $1165
Average Rent In Houston, Houston Rent Trends and Rental Comps

And yet a Grand Slam costs $4.00 at both locations.

People scream that the costs of goods will increase, if we increase the minimum wage. What am I missing here?

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2014 at 07:24 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 09:27 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:

And medical insurance. I spend more on medical insurance than groceries each month, and I don't spend $300/month on groceries. Transportation, even if it's just a second bus pass for $100/month if you even live somewhere where a bus pass works. Clothing/misc expenses double. Those aren't necessarily huge if you're thrifting, but they're more than zero, at least in long term.

And "bad area" in Seattle is kind of a joke. The bad areas of Seattle are no worse than Spokane as a whole. Spokane is one of the most violent, crime ridden cities in the country. It isn't Detroit, but it's by far the worst city in Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance