Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times

Advertisements

I am starting a new job in a new state soon. I always get a huge refund when I file my federal taxes. I want to fill out my w4 so I break even or even owe a bit.

I plan to speak to a tax professional but do I need my first pay stub before I see them? Or will they be able to help me filling out my initial w4 on my first day at work?

Any other tips to get close to breaking even? I can't really use too much from last years return since it's a new job in a new state with a new income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:07 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,295,816 times
Here's a tip for you:

let's say you got 8k in refunds last year! Divide by 26 (if you get paid once every two weeks) = $307
then increase your W4 one at a time (or two at a time) until your paycheck is increased by about 307 bucks every two weeks.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:35 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
I would suggest you do the following, given that you can change your W-4, as needed, anytime during the year.
Fill out your first W-4 using the instructions on the form. You can read/print a W-4 from this IRS webpage. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

After a month or two of paychecks, go to the IRS's on-line Withholding Calculator at
IRS Withholding Calculator

Enter your information and it will tell you, almost to the penny, what you might need to change to "break even". Also you should run the Calculator at anytime during the year if there are changes in your pay, etc; or just to confirm if you are on track to break even.

BTW, for those who like to get big refunds, you can play with the Calculator to see what W-4 choices you need to make to generate a specific refund amount.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Answer this question--will you save the $43/paycheck you might get from changing your withholding or is it just going to go toward entertainment or whatever? If you are disciplined enough to take that extra money and put it toward your retirement or emergency fund, by all means change your withholding. If not, the forced savings account might be a good idea. The $.85 you might earn on interest on those funds over the course of the year really isn't worth it....

Old 01-20-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Answer this question--will you save the $43/paycheck you might get from changing your withholding or is it just going to go toward entertainment or whatever? If you are disciplined enough to take that extra money and put it toward your retirement or emergency fund, by all means change your withholding. If not, the forced savings account might be a good idea. The $.85 you might earn on interest on those funds over the course of the year really isn't worth it....
I am not concerned about my ability to save money. I just want what I earn, when I earn it.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:39 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,379 times
Mr_Geek, when you speak with your tax professional, bring your 2012 income tax return with you. The tax professional will use that to help him prepare your 2013 income tax return. At the same time he will use both income tax returns to help you fill out your W-4.

You are always able to change a W-4 throughout the year. The more dependents you claim, the less tax will be taken out of your paycheck. So, if you are married, count your wife as a dependent. If you have children, count each of them as a dependent. If you care for your parents and can claim them on your income tax return, count them. If you own a house, count it. If you don't have any spouse/children/house or parents, then just claim yourself and that should work.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Mr_Geek, when you speak with your tax professional, bring your 2012 income tax return with you. The tax professional will use that to help him prepare your 2013 income tax return. At the same time he will use both income tax returns to help you fill out your W-4.

You are always able to change a W-4 throughout the year. The more dependents you claim, the less tax will be taken out of your paycheck. So, if you are married, count your wife as a dependent. If you have children, count each of them as a dependent. If you care for your parents and can claim them on your income tax return, count them. If you own a house, count it. If you don't have any spouse/children/house or parents, then just claim yourself and that should work.
Just curious how last years will help fill out my w4 since I have a different job and salary now?

Old 01-20-2014, 05:00 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,685,379 times
It gives the tax preparer your income history, your tax liability last year, and how much you over-paid. There is a little part in the Federal tax law that tells you how much you can owe at the end of the year without paying a penalty, and part of the calculation is last year's tax liability.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,295,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Just curious how last years will help fill out my w4 since I have a different job and salary now?
ummm....or....you can just do what i suggested above. it's simple, and you don't need a 'tax professional'!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 PM

582 posts, read 778,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
What difference does it make. If you don't know what to handle money, you'll blow it either way. Doesn't make any difference if you blow is $43 at a time or $1118 in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance