Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 11:44 AM

270 posts, read 967,992 times

Advertisements

I have an IRA CD which is maturing in approximately 30 days. I have decided to transfer this IRA CD from one bank to another bank in which I have an IRA account already setup. I submitted my paperwork to the bank that will be receiving the funds ("winning bank") and they have verified all of my paperwork is in order and have sent over all of the paperwork to the "losing bank." The "winning bank" is a large institution with a very standard process. The "losing bank" is a much smaller financial institution, but nevertheless, a US FDIC insured bank (real bank).
Last week, the "losing bank" calls me (on the phone) directly and states, "We are denying your request to close your account." No reason given other than they don't want to do it.
I respond, "You need to respond in writing, this is not appropriate over the phone."
Bank rep, "I'll talk to my manager and see what I can do."
End of conversation.

I call the "winning bank" and tell them what just happened, that the "losing bank" called me directly to inform me that my request was denied. The "winning bank" explains to me that the "losing bank" has to respond to both myself and the "winning bank" in writing, they cannot notify me of a denial without 1) legitimate reason and 2) a written letter.

I don't get it. What was the point of the phone call from the 'losing bank'? Was the "losing bank" hoping that I would say, "Oh, that's ok, I didn't really mean it when I filled out all of the paperwork to move my money."

I have a feeling that the 'losing bank' is playing games and will neither send a letter with a legitimate reason as to why they have denied my request and will renew my IRA CD for another 5 years.
My "winning bank" has assured me they cannot legally do this, but I'm not sure what my recourse is if they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 11:48 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I had a situation like that one time and I got it resolved within a few hours.
I called the bank every 1/2 hour asking them if the letter of denial had been written and faxed yet and I kept calling every 1/2 hour until they decided I was such a big pain in the rear they decided to release the funds without the early termination fee usually associated with early withdrawal.

Anything further you do with this bank I would put in writing and send it certified, return receipt so they have to sign for it and you have a paper trail.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,537 times
If the losing bank has a branch that you can go to, go in and request that your IRA account be closed. Have them issue you a check for the full amount (with no tax withholding). You then have 60 days to redeposit that money in the winning bank IRA account. Otherwise, taxes and penalties, if applicable, will apply. I would deposit the losing bank check and rewrite a new check to the winning bank just so you have record of it.

You don't necessarily have to do a trustee-to-trustee transfer.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
If the losing bank has a branch that you can go to, go in and request that your IRA account be closed. Have them issue you a check for the full amount (with no tax withholding). You then have 60 days to redeposit that money in the winning bank IRA account. Otherwise, taxes and penalties, if applicable, will apply. I would deposit the losing bank check and rewrite a new check to the winning bank just so you have record of it.

NO Don't Do that...

The losing back will withhold 25% in taxes from it, you then need to make up the 25% from other sources when you deposit in the "Winning" bank. Next year (2015) when you file your taxes the 25% will be returned to you as a refund.

If the losing back does not come thru with its reason. Just go to the Branch office, and camp out in the managers office till they fix it.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post

Thanks for the tip, but proximity is the real reason I'm leaving this bank. I moved 800 miles away from the closest branch and they won't let me make any changes to my account unless I appear in person.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
If the losing back does not come thru with its reason. Just go to the Branch office, and camp out in the managers office till they fix it.
I'm 800 miles away from the closest branch office.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
NO Don't Do that...

The losing back will withhold 25% in taxes from it, you then need to make up the 25% from other sources when you deposit in the "Winning" bank. Next year (2015) when you file your taxes the 25% will be returned to you as a refund.

That is so not true. You can waive out of tax withholding on IRAs.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnyong View Post
Thanks for the tip, but proximity is the real reason I'm leaving this bank. I moved 800 miles away from the closest branch and they won't let me make any changes to my account unless I appear in person.
The majority of my banking is done with a bank that has no branches within 800 miles of me. Never even been to one of their branches.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The majority of my banking is done with a bank that has no branches within 800 miles of me. Never even been to one of their branches.
That's great! How would you handle my situation (below)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srnyong View Post
I have an IRA CD which is maturing in approximately 30 days. I have decided to transfer this IRA CD from one bank to another bank in which I have an IRA account already setup. I submitted my paperwork to the bank that will be receiving the funds ("winning bank") and they have verified all of my paperwork is in order and have sent over all of the paperwork to the "losing bank." The "winning bank" is a large institution with a very standard process. The "losing bank" is a much smaller financial institution, but nevertheless, a US FDIC insured bank (real bank).
Last week, the "losing bank" calls me (on the phone) directly and states, "We are denying your request to close your account." No reason given other than they don't want to do it.
I respond, "You need to respond in writing, this is not appropriate over the phone."
Bank rep, "I'll talk to my manager and see what I can do."
End of conversation.

I call the "winning bank" and tell them what just happened, that the "losing bank" called me directly to inform me that my request was denied. The "winning bank" explains to me that the "losing bank" has to respond to both myself and the "winning bank" in writing, they cannot notify me of a denial without 1) legitimate reason and 2) a written letter.

I don't get it. What was the point of the phone call from the 'losing bank'? Was the "losing bank" hoping that I would say, "Oh, that's ok, I didn't really mean it when I filled out all of the paperwork to move my money."

I have a feeling that the 'losing bank' is playing games and will neither send a letter with a legitimate reason as to why they have denied my request and will renew my IRA CD for another 5 years.
My "winning bank" has assured me they cannot legally do this, but I'm not sure what my recourse is if they do.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:12 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Have you gotten the reason for the hold up in writing?

Guessing you haven't.

Send a certified letter with what you want done with the CD. Once they receive the letter, give them a couple days. Then, call them, and ask to speak to someone in charge, until you get the answer you want.

If they still want to stonewall; remind them you've given them clear instructions which assuming you don't get something in writing from them works and you will hold them responsible if something you have instructed against happens.

It's your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance