U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 04:17 PM

71 posts, read 152,015 times

Advertisements

>I will be purchasing a used car around June/July.
>Not trying to go over $16K for the total purchase price.
>A car not older than 2011
>My Credit score is about 711.

let's say I find one at $15,000. By July my savings for this car will possibly be up to $10K. Would it be smart to put the full $10k down payment on the car and finance the balance? Is it tough to find loans for $5k or less? Is there such thing as TOO MUCH DOWN PAYMENT?

My main focus is really keeping the monthly payments low so I can afford the rest of my bills for the month...but I'm not trying to put too much money down when i don't have to Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:27 PM

603 posts, read 482,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPooch167 View Post

let's say I find one at $15,000. By July my savings for this car will possibly be up to $10K. Would it be smart to put the full $10k down payment on the car and finance the balance? Is it tough to find loans for $5k or less? Is there such thing as TOO MUCH DOWN PAYMENT?

My main focus is really keeping the monthly payments low so I can afford the rest of my bills for the month...but I'm not trying to put too much money down when i don't have to Any advice?
just pay cash for whatever you find...lots of reliable $6-10k vehicles out there.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:37 PM

71 posts, read 152,015 times
i would probably have to get a much older car for that and I don't want to go through the maintenance for an older car. I'm already driving around in a 2002 car that is on its last leg.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:49 PM

so...you haven't even looked then...by your response, that is the only logical explanation IMO.

don't put money into depreciating assets. don't loan against depreciating assets.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:53 PM

1,211 posts, read 462,117 times
Interest rates are so low that it's almost free money, so why put anything down?

Wouldn't it be nice to keep a few thousand dollars in your pocket for emergencies?

Finance as much as they allow, and if any month gets too tight, raid that wad of cash in your pocket. You'll enjoy that fun zone where you finally owe less on it than you have in savings, followed by getting out of debt with cash in savings too.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Interest rates are so low that it's almost free money, so why put anything down?

Wouldn't it be nice to keep a few thousand dollars in your pocket for emergencies?

Finance as much as they allow, and if any month gets too tight, raid that wad of cash in your pocket. You'll enjoy that fun zone where you finally owe less on it than you have in savings, followed by getting out of debt with cash in savings too.
the OP has a cash flow issue (see the original post)

Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,701,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post

^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
the OP has a cash flow issue (see the original post)

OP, if you were to buy a $16000 car (including tags/license/tax) and put down $10k on a 4 year loan, your payments would be $ 134 at 3.5% interest. For 3 years, the payments would about $176.

If you bought the same car and financed $11k at 3.5% (kept $5k in the bank for an emergency fund), your payments would be: $322 for 3 years ... $246 for 4 years ... $200 for 5 years.

Putting 20% down ($3200) and leaving $6800 in the bank, your payments would be: $375 for 3 years ... $286 for 4 years ... $233 for 5 years.

You're the only one who can decide how much in payments you can afford and for how long a term you want as well as whether or not you feel comfortable in totally depleting your savings to have a lower payment.

There are a lot of scenarios you can try with the numerous on-line loan calculators. This is one that I like because it has so many different ones: Easy Calculation.

I would talk with your bank or credit union to have an idea of how much you're approved for and at what interest rate before you go car hunting. Always get your own financing rather than taking the dealer's, especially on a used car. If you are trading in your be careful that you negotiate the price of the used car first. Then talk the value of your trade. Since you are looking for a late model used car, go to a new car dealer for one. Any 2011 or 2012 you find at a used car dealer is there for a reason, and it's probably not a good one. Get a CarFax as well.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:41 PM

4,833 posts, read 3,007,338 times
Quote:

Buy cash and pay it in full. You don't want payments on a item that is dropping in value as you are still paying for. Lots of great cars out there for 8-10k

Old 02-04-2014, 06:56 PM

77 posts, read 46,433 times
if you are buying used car, save some cash in reserve, who knows what you may run into.
I'd take out max on the low interest loan from penfed credit union. they got 1.99% used auto loan for 12~60 mo.
they got the best auto loan product in the nation (other than 0% promo from car dealer)
drive it for a while to find out if there's any issue. if you feel solid with car, pay off whatever amount you want your balance to be.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM

3,296 posts, read 1,100,566 times
Quote:

Lease a smart car for $88 a month in July and save the difference on top of your $10k. By the time your lease is over you could easily have $15,000+ in savings and just cash buy a car.

Then continue to save $200 a month, give or take, so that in the future you can pay cash for all of your vehicles...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance