Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
That's how they catch people. The guy who told you about this, told a number of people. Someday he's going to tick someone off, and that someone will report him. And -- although there is a statute of limitation on IRS auditing of returns, if there is malfeasance, they can go back far longer.
I have faith that this person will be caught eventually, but if I reported them it would be out of pure spite and a desire for bad things to happen to them and to me that is at odds with my own spiritual beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
From the IRS Whistleblower site:

"The IRS Whistleblower Office pays money to people who blow the whistle on persons who fail to pay the tax that they owe. If the IRS uses information provided by the whistleblower, it can award the whistleblower up to 30 percent of the additional tax, penalty and other amounts it collects."
See above, plus the sum owed is not large enough to qualify for a reward. Even if I did report them and received a reward I would feel like I couldn't keep the money and would give it to charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 05:45 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,933 times
Most of my stories are friends in college debt.

The best (worst) case is my dear friend who went 150K in debt to be a primary school math teacher.

My other friend is a rep at verizon and is 200K in debt. She has her masters and undergrad from private uni's.

It makes me cringe, I can't imagine the burden. They don't seem too worried though....

Also, pretty much anything my mother has done since her divorce. The woman couldn't hold on to $20 to save her life.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:36 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post

It makes me cringe, I can't imagine the burden. They don't seem too worried though....
That's probably how they got themselves in that mess in the first place. Not worrying usually means that person usually doesn't plan ahead either. Hence the decision to get that much debt for so little return.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM

420 posts, read 768,326 times
I work closely with the IRS, and I don't believe the whistle blower web page really works unless you have substantial proof.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:31 AM

706 posts, read 1,309,026 times
Generally the worst investing advice I have heard in the past 10 years has come from Jim Cramer.

Generally if he is telling you to buy, things are at the top.

If he is panicking, it is time to buy.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:46 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
Investors could better save themselves from making investment mistakes if those financial product information/contracts were easier to understand. I don't know if the goal of these companies ARE to confuse the investor but they could write those packets in clearer and much easier to understand "ENGLISH" if they wanted their investors to make better informed decisions. I have taken economics and finance in school and even I don't understand what they are talking about half the time. I don't like to deal with things I don't understand. They also bury the costs of maintaining your account in the tiny print (which is smaller than the SMALL print).

Old 04-02-2014, 08:48 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
Default Jim Cramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Generally the worst investing advice I have heard in the past 10 years has come from Jim Cramer.

Generally if he is telling you to buy, things are at the top.

If he is panicking, it is time to buy.
You have a good system to read him! He screams too much.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
A buddy selling his house made 100k. He was in financial trouble with two car payments, CC bills etc. And couldn't afford the house so he was selling. Took the money from the house sale and turned around plunked 50 k of the 100k on a 90k motorhome. Got in 120k debt hole. Fast forward 8 years later he is completely debt free and starting to build a nest egg.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Most of my stories are friends in college debt.

lmw36--

See, I'm inundated with those stories because I went on to law school after graduating. Here, $150,000 of student debt is mainstream - and I've heard anecdotally people going as high as a quarter million. If they don't seem too worried, it's because they've resigned themselves to it... that student debt is going to be around so long that they will start to think it's a pet.

(As for me, I went to a state school for college on a partial scholarship and paid cash... and saved for four years in college... and then earned a scholarship to law school and blew my savings on rent and bills for three years of school... my position is far better than most. But they don't know that...)

Old 04-03-2014, 10:54 AM

706 posts, read 1,309,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
A buddy selling his house made 100k. He was in financial trouble with two car payments, CC bills etc. And couldn't afford the house so he was selling. Took the money from the house sale and turned around plunked 50 k of the 100k on a 90k motorhome. Got in 120k debt hole. Fast forward 8 years later he is completely debt free and starting to build a nest egg.

But he had to live in a "motor home"....life is too short for that nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance