Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:10 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,996,996 times

Advertisements

I like Quicken. Tried spreadsheets, but without a (then) easy way of imputing all the transaction, Manually entering them is something I would never do.

Just Check i have over 17,000 transaction in Quicken, Most of the transaction AutoUpdate from the banks/credit cards/etc. Quicken remember what category they go into. So ~90% will show up in the correct category right from the downloads, (5% I need to correct on 1st use of that vendor to correctly align it to my category , 5% need to be updated because the default it took, from the history is not where i wanted to allocate that expense )

Makes for easy reporting of where my money is being spent, and doing managing the Stocks/Mutual Fund Value, The deluxe version is good for stock pricing, wish it had better Stock/MF charting/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 02:27 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I was a fan of Mint when Clark Howard discussed it on his show a few years back. Initially it was good, free, but it keeps having communication errors with banks and credit card companies.

Before that I used Quicken, but I stopped using them when they refused to provide any support after paying for the software.

So what do you use to track your finances?
Have used Quicken since the Dark Ages.

You do know that Intuit, the makers of Quicken and TurboTax, owns Mint?

Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
My Brain, mostly.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:16 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Have used Quicken since the Dark Ages.

You do know that Intuit, the makers of Quicken and TurboTax, owns Mint?
I am aware they own Mint.

Thanks for the replies. A couple of new ones to try.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:34 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,884,541 times
I've been using quicken, finally figured out to open a new file for each calendar year so i could sort my expenses into categories for tax deductibles. Once in a while I do a household budget printout to get an idea of how much I spend per month, but I don't have the patience to make quicken do all it can do in the area of categorization.

BUT now my software is demanding an update and the laptop it is loaded on has a power jack issue and I can'[t access it at all, so I'm going to try Mint this year. I opened an account earlier in the year but it automatically uploaded 45 days of data from my bank, which messed up my calendar year plan. So i deleted it all. Now that we have passed feb 15, I tried to redo it, but it still added transactions from 2013 that I cannot figure out how to delete or hide, so I'll just ignore them. However, If I can't import from Mint, I might not be interested in using it.....

My BF is also ditching quicken for Mint, by purest coincidence.

Excel is a good idea, and I probably have the skill, but my two main financial institutions download data in different formats, so that is a pain.

Last edited by Stagemomma; 02-21-2014 at 05:13 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 04:36 PM

316 posts, read 877,105 times
Mint (RO data, very nice portal, but Intuit has all of one's financial data).

Sigfig (for Investments)

Google docs (for net worth spreadsheet).

Turbo Tax (Web version)
----

Still searching for that elusive money management software. Still use my old copy of MS Money, but manual downloads are painful and the software is now clunky. Used Quicken prior to that for ~10 years and don't want to go back.

Tried iBank for the Mac recently, but automatic downloads have hiccups. The Mac app store also has Moneydance and Cashculator among popular personal finance software.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:44 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,373 times
Like many people here, I use a bunch of excel spreadsheets. They've grown in a disorganized fashion like a rambling house with random additions over the years, and maybe someday I'll streamline them down and condense them into a new, single efficient workbook.

But probably not.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:10 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagemomma View Post
but now my software is demanding an update and the laptop it is loaded on has a power jack issue and i can'[t access it at all, so i'm going to try mint this year. I opened an account earlier in the year but it automatically uploaded 45 days of data from my bank, which messed up my calendar year plan. So i deleted it all. Now that we have passed feb 15, i can re do all that. (when i get around to it)
:d

Software you use to track your finances-round-tuit.jpg

Last edited by Gandalara; 02-21-2014 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: Smilies aren't working!!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:13 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Every one I've tried has been glitchy or doesn't take one or more of my accounts.

Years ago Wells Fargo had something that worked really good for me, then they dumped it.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:00 PM

486 posts, read 832,091 times
I use yodlee (yodlee used to be the backend for mint but now it's intuit ) to look at my accounts and keep track of transaction. For investments and budgeting I use excel.

I need to find something to keep track of my budget more "fine" since my SO and I spend way too much money on food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance