Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

Hello,

This is something my mother is facing right now. Her credit score is already rotten. Although she's made some bad decisions, it's also because her husband, who passed away in 2006, had even worse credit, and used her name on his loans, and her son signed her name on checks multiple times without her permission, effectively stealing from her (and many of those checks bounced!). Now she's facing another huge bill from Verizon (there have been many). The data plans on my brother's (who she signed a wireless internet contract for) and sister's phone (a Blackberry) and unlimited text messages are main culprits. Well, my brother (21) is in the psych ward after attempting to commit suicide in front of her, and my sister (16) is on probation after stabbing a girl in self-defense. Interestingly, she does not have a cell phone, although I've always encouraged her to get one.

So now she doesn't want to pay the phone bill, and just go with cheap, pre-paid phones. I think that's smart. The problem is by doing that, she would back out of the contract she signed with Verizon, further damaging her credit score. However, as I said, her credit score is already extremely low. She has far more important things to spend the money on than cell phones, especially lavish data plans. What should she do? My sister, of course, will have a fit, but I don't think that's a pressing issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:51 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Hello,

This is something my mother is facing right now. Her credit score is already rotten. Although she's made some bad decisions, it's also because her husband, who passed away in 2006, had even worse credit, and used her name on his loans, and her son signed her name on checks multiple times without her permission, effectively stealing from her (and many of those checks bounced!). Now she's facing another huge bill from Verizon (there have been many). The data plans on my brother's (who she signed a wireless internet contract for) and sister's phone (a Blackberry) and unlimited text messages are main culprits. Well, my brother (21) is in the psych ward after attempting to commit suicide in front of her, and my sister (16) is on probation after stabbing a girl in self-defense. Interestingly, she does not have a cell phone, although I've always encouraged her to get one.

So now she doesn't want to pay the phone bill, and just go with cheap, pre-paid phones. I think that's smart. The problem is by doing that, she would back out of the contract she signed with Verizon, further damaging her credit score. However, as I said, her credit score is already extremely low. She has far more important things to spend the money on than cell phones, especially lavish data plans. What should she do? My sister, of course, will have a fit, but I don't think that's a pressing issue.
Cancelling a cell phone contract won't damage her credit. Not paying the bill is what will damage her credit. Prepaid is a good way to go, IF she doesn't use it very much, otherwise prepaid can get pretty expensive.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:10 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Cancelling a cell phone contract won't damage her credit. Not paying the bill is what will damage her credit. Prepaid is a good way to go, IF she doesn't use it very much, otherwise prepaid can get pretty expensive.
She wouldn't, and neither would I. Can't say the same thing of my sister, who is practically addicted to her phone. However, she has a job, and she would pay the phone herself. She actually wanted me to sign her up for a contract at AT&T, but I'm refusing to until we find out what's going to happen to her. She's facing some pretty serious charges.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:20 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Yes, but ... if she cancels the contract early, she'll get a (usually hefty) cancellation fee slapped onto her bill. So that bill she already can't pay will get even bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance