U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2007, 12:27 PM

704 posts, read 1,241,042 times
Thumbs up More direct steps to improve FICO score?

I paid off all of my credit cards in November, as well as 1 of my 2 car loans. When would I see my FICO improve? How long does it take? Also- now that they are paid off, I dont plan on using them anymore (the cards- I still need to use the car). I know not to close them, but is there anything negative about leaving them unused? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 12:34 PM

44,320 posts, read 54,771,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
I paid off all of my credit cards in November, as well as 1 of my 2 car loans. When would I see my FICO improve? How long does it take? Also- now that they are paid off, I dont plan on using them anymore (the cards- I still need to use the car). I know not to close them, but is there anything negative about leaving them unused? Thanks!
Not an expert, so hopefully some of our financial wiz's here will chime in. BUT, while you do want to close some of those accounts, plan on keeping 2 or 3 that you do use and pay off IMMEDIATELY every so often. This wil definitely help your score. Not having a card or not using a card you have WILL hurt you.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:02 PM

185 posts, read 413,449 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about length of time for FICO to show improvement , but from what I understand about credit cards, it is a good thing to keep them open and unused. When a credit check is done I think it's actually to your benefit.

1) Not only did you have credit payments to make , you paid it off !
2) Your credit line is open and not being used shows you need not live off credit! (which must drive the creditors insane)

Thats why they say if possible, never close your oldest account.

Wait till you see all the offers that roll in for better rates etc. you might opt to take advantage of those and like Loves stated..... pay off right away.
(Disclaimer: I'm not the financial wiz Loves was hoping for)
Where is SUSIE ORMAND when ya need her?

Old 12-02-2007, 01:26 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,275 posts, read 4,538,642 times
Personally I think the whole credit/fico system is such a scacm. The best credit is no credit

Anyway, you can see your credit inch up month to month. You can watch it using one of the monitoring services like myfico (there are others i happen to use that one). Probably one of the best things to prevent it from going down is prevent inquiries. If someone must look at your credit say your financing a car, or something, give them a recent print out *before* hand and once you are comfortable with the terms they give you, let them pull it.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:27 PM

1,395 posts, read 3,783,973 times
From everything I have learned about a credit account if you close the account you will lose all of those "1's" or positive payment/history marks. This in effect will decrease your credit or fico score.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:43 PM

704 posts, read 1,241,042 times
Yes, I heard also not to close my accounts. I am wondering though how quickly I will see the benefit of paying off all of my accounts. The most negative mark on my report was my high balances.
I plan on buying in June, so I am counting on my score improving to the 700's before then.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, I heard also not to close my accounts. I am wondering though how quickly I will see the benefit of paying off all of my accounts. The most negative mark on my report was my high balances.
I plan on buying in June, so I am counting on my score improving to the 700's before then.
I do think you can do it by June. I had a similar situation some years back and was impressed with what I could do in 8-12 months

Old 12-02-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Also, just another tip...between now and June do not take out ANY credit anywhere. That means store cards like Kohl's, Sears, Rooms to Go, etc... Every time you do this you hurt your credit score even though it seems like a harmless thing to do.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:04 PM

42,846 posts, read 53,316,990 times
Quote:
Improving Your FICO Credit Score - Tips from myFICO.com

Old 12-02-2007, 04:17 PM

56,251 posts, read 28,057,614 times
Quote:
Depending on the number of cards you have, its not necessarily bad to close some.. (its so hard to decide to close or not to).

Just if you do close a few.. close the newest ones opened because the oldest ones have a pay history attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance