Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 08:23 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I also hate people who use the checkout line as their ATM, although that may not be entirely a boomer thing.

Why would you "hate" them? It's no big deal to get cash back. It only annoys me when I've JUST opened my drawer and someone wants $100 cash back. We start out with $200 so that wipes out half my drawer and by the time I go through a few more smaller cash backs I have to get a 'loan' for my drawer. Some people actually ASK if I can do it which is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:19 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I also hate people who use the checkout line as their ATM, although that may not be entirely a boomer thing.
Why? They offer cash back, and it saves me a trip to an ATM. My supermarket has a limit of $50 for cash back. I usually just get a $20 anyway so I have some cash in my pocket. It holds you up, what, two whole seconds longer? Plan your time better.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:06 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
'I

Meet Nancie Eichengreen, 60 years of age. In 2012, after getting laid off from her legal secretary job, she decided to 'reinvent' herself, and went back to school (Yeshiva, an expensive private university) to pursue a master's in social work. She got the degree, but is still jobless and now $200k in debt.

The median salary for a social worker is $42k. I can't even begin to conceive what this woman was thinking.
Not sure how that's any different from anyone else who attends that program, aside from her age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why? They offer cash back, and it saves me a trip to an ATM. My supermarket has a limit of $50 for cash back. I usually just get a $20 anyway so I have some cash in my pocket. It holds you up, what, two whole seconds longer? Plan your time better.
To "hate" people for the things that the OP hates people, guessing he's a pretty small person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Why would you "hate" them? It's no big deal to get cash back. It only annoys me when I've JUST opened my drawer and someone wants $100 cash back. We start out with $200 so that wipes out half my drawer and by the time I go through a few more smaller cash backs I have to get a 'loan' for my drawer. Some people actually ASK if I can do it which is nice.
Honestly that's the fault of the business. What they leave in cash in a drawer is just pitiful. Especially in terms of breaking big bills.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:19 PM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Why? It doesn't add any more wait time for you. My bank charges for ATMs that are not their own, so when I need cash I get it at the supermarket checkout or CVS with no fee. All the extra time it takes is for me to hit "yes" and "$50" when the machine asks me if I want cash back, and for the cashier to hand it to me. What is that, like 20 extra seconds you've waited? Yet you "hate" me for that?

Old 03-16-2014, 03:39 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
In all honesty the absolutely WORST person to be behind of at a checkout is the person that is AMAZED they have to pay at all. They wait and watch as the whole purchase is rung up, and THEN they have to hunt for their wallet, or dig through the suitcase they carry as a purse, and then find the card they want to use.... where was that, let's see I just used it at the place I was at last week.... what was the name of that place? Oh yeah.... then they have to remember their pin number because of that Target thing they changed their code into something they can't remember....

People in general are pretty good, but we've all run into the self righteous completely disorganized entitled moron who pretty much make you want to run screaming at them with a loaf of hard bread.... and those people are in every age.

I once watched a 20something year old woman who DUMPED her whole purse (yes -- the suitcase sized one) out onto the counter to find her atm card. No wallet -- everything just in a bit tangled mess. Makeup, hair things, hair appliances(?), cash and change and various cards of various sorts and dozens of empty envelopes. And pay stubs. I have NEVER understood the empty envelope thing -- been seeing that since I was in banking 15 years ago.

AND after she paid -- THAT'S when she decided it was the perfect time to reassemble and sort out her life. Luckily, the clerk had nerve, and told her to move because she was holding up the line. And that started the screaming fit...

Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
Quote:
Well, many tech journals say it's safer to get cash back at the register than the ATM.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:51 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
Who remembers when people paid with credit cards and the cashier had to call in the phone number then put a piece of carbon paper in a little machine for the person to sign? It used to take forever! And don't forget that the cashier had to manually add in the cost of the item - there were no scanners. Ahh, the good ole days!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:01 PM

50,763 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Who remembers when people paid with credit cards and the cashier had to call in the phone number then put a piece of carbon paper in a little machine for the person to sign? It used to take forever! And don't forget that the cashier had to manually add in the cost of the item - there were no scanners. Ahh, the good ole days!
I remember! And if you used a credit card at a gas station, the attendant had to go behind your car and write your license plate number on the form, too!

Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
32 years ago I worked at a large department store, but we never had to call because we only took our own charge card. We had to have the math ability to write up saleschecks if the power went out, so we wouldn't have to close the store.

And we did. I was there for three years and I was in 4 power outages.

My favorite place to work when the power went out was the candy department. It was busy, and for some reason everybody was happy buying candy when the power went out. Since we had the manual imprinters anyway, we could charge people. The only thing we couldn't do was call in and have credit look up a credit card number for a client that didn't have their card. If the power went out, they had to go to the credit department and pick up a temporary card.

My dear late mother in law -- I really miss that woman! -- used to get cheesed off when the clerks couldn't count her change out properly. You know, like a 7.72 bill, hand over a ten and get counted back 73,74, 75, and 25 makes 8, and 9 and 10. The new registers now say 2.28 back. And the clerk just hands it back.

I'm so used to doing that -- it makes perfect sense to me. You start at 7.72 and then count and add up. Now if I clerked I'd have to had back the change all wrong.

We're SO used to computers, but the reality is, there are many other ways to do things. And some of them are EASIER.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:34 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
She didn't spend it all on education... She likely had a good time with some of the money but didn't realize, you can't discharge student loans on bankruptcy... She tried to con the government and lost...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance