Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I also hate people who use the checkout line as their ATM, although that may not be entirely a boomer thing.
This is just silly. You hate people who use a service that supermarkets provide? Do you hate it when someone buys milk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:01 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What I find ironic is this article faults a boomer for not saving and taking on high debt while other threads slam us for hogging all the money keeping it for ourselves.
The only thing that baby boomers did was fail to provide their children with a good education (generally speaking). That's why the same people blame boomers for hogging money and and spending it all away. Lack of education haunts them.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:36 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Better than sitting around on a couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
'I

Meet Nancie Eichengreen, 60 years of age. In 2012, after getting laid off from her legal secretary job, she decided to 'reinvent' herself, and went back to school (Yeshiva, an expensive private university) to pursue a master's in social work. She got the degree, but is still jobless and now $200k in debt.

The median salary for a social worker is $42k. I can't even begin to conceive what this woman was thinking.
Is she asking for the money from somewhere? Is she still living on her own? My gosh, with people living until their 90's and beyond, this woman has a fruitful future of 25 years or more.

Not everyone at 60 has their foot in the grave.

Look at who (celebs) just turned 60: Oprah, Christie Brinkly, Jerry Seinfeld - are they washed up? 60 today is not your 60 of 50 years ago.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:44 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
She didn't spend it all on education... She likely had a good time with some of the money but didn't realize, you can't discharge student loans on bankruptcy... She tried to con the government and lost...
Your evidence is where?

Old 03-17-2014, 06:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
the really sad thing is that her social security will be garnished to pay for the student loans

the real winner here is Yeshiva University faculty & staff.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Is she asking for the money from somewhere?
at this point it seems inevitable that she will be surviving off the taxpayer.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Who remembers when people paid with credit cards and the cashier had to call in the phone number then put a piece of carbon paper in a little machine for the person to sign? It used to take forever! And don't forget that the cashier had to manually add in the cost of the item - there were no scanners. Ahh, the good ole days!
I do, because I was a cashier! And then we had to check the number against the booklet of "bad" numbers that was issued every week to make sure it wasn't in there.

No computer registers, either. At the time, NJ sales tax was 5%, and I could do it in my head instantly once I had the total. And we had to count back change.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:55 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
the really sad thing is that her social security will be garnished to pay for the student loans

the real winner here is Yeshiva University faculty & staff.
Social Security is not supposed to be garnished.

This is why it's important to deal with a good local bank. A large bank often just does what is handed to them, without research. A smaller bank will look into whether or not an account can be garnished.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Social Security is not supposed to be garnished.
"Supposed to be"? You mean morally or legally?

Legally, social security can be garnished to pay for student loans.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
"Supposed to be"? You mean morally or legally?

Legally, social security can be garnished to pay for student loans.
I stand corrected -- federal student loans can be paid by garnishment. I have no idea what I was reading when I checked that this morning.

I said "supposed to be" because I've seen and heard stories about large banks doing all sorts of things they shouldn't be doing via garnishments and levies. For some reason the legalities never seem to enter into it, when you hear lots of people talk about having their accounts overdrawn by thousands of dollars that they will never be able to come up with to pay judgments, when banks ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT.

And yet they seem to do it all the time.

Or as in the case of a friend of ours -- a very large bank closed a bunch of his jointly held accounts (with rights of survivorship accounts) and gave the money to the parents of his late partner. Totaling half a million.

That was a heck of a lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance