Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 06:46 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times

Advertisements

So I got this letter that says "we made a decision to increase your APR because your current APRs is lower than average APRs on similar cards in the market place for consumers with similar credit profile." Then it went on to say "we obtained your FICO score from Experian to make the decision. On March 31, 2015, your FICO score was 818......"

Hmm wondering how this explanation makes sense. Anyways, since I don't have balance on it the current 13.99% won't mean much. Talk about market, I have my VISA credit card at 6.25% APR. So, not sure which similar market they are talking about.

Anyone getting similar resets from AmEx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 06:48 PM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Ours is higher than that and has been for years. Similar FICO score too! Hmmmm....

We never carry a balance, so they can up it to whatever.... doesn't matter to us.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:37 AM

21,872 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Well, if you were to try getting a card now, 14% is around what the APR would be. Maybe it'd be a bit less but I think everything nowadays is over 10%. Nobody really offers credit cards with more reasonable interest rates. Personally, I think it's an odd move to increase the rate. You're likely to end up driving off a customer for basically no reason. I doubt most people with high credit carry much of a balance to begin with.

Old 04-30-2015, 06:44 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, if you were to try getting a card now, 14% is around what the APR would be. Maybe it'd be a bit less but I think everything nowadays is over 10%. Nobody really offers credit cards with more reasonable interest rates. Personally, I think it's an odd move to increase the rate. You're likely to end up driving off a customer for basically no reason. I doubt most people with high credit carry much of a balance to begin with.
You can get rates as low as 6% if you are willing to give up rewards and benefits.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:09 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,246,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Just cause you have a high credit score doesnt mean you are smart with your money. it just means you pay your bills on time. My parents always had a 800+ score and carried a balance...dumb.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:26 AM

256 posts, read 462,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Ours is higher than that and has been for years. Similar FICO score too! Hmmmm....

We never carry a balance, so they can up it to whatever.... doesn't matter to us.
Same here Never carry a balance and still receive sweet cash back every month.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:17 AM

306 posts, read 550,100 times
AMEX has been raising a lot of APRs over the past few months... Like you, I'm not worried about it since I never pay interest on any of my CCs. All of my cards are what I would consider high APR, but the rewards work out in my favor. I have considered getting a 6-7% card that could be used for brief "loans" if needed in a pinch since it would probably be no worse rate than going to the bank to get one, but I just don't think I need it at this time... There are always 0% offers available if I need that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance