Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Well, the EFC used to calculate federal grant aid implicitly considers it the parent's responsibility until the child receives independent status.

It is grotesquely unfair for parents to earn enough to disqualify their kids from grants but then refuse to chip in. This would amount to the kid losing assistance due to money that he/she does not have any access to. Is this not repugnant to you - the federal government holding a kid hostage in an effort to coerce their parents to pay up? Because that is exactly what EFC is!!!

If you don't think parents should have that responsibility, then you should be willing to pay more taxes so the government can give out more Pell grants.
Life isn't always fair.
People need to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:56 PM

10,732 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Well, the EFC used to calculate federal grant aid implicitly considers it the parent's responsibility until the child receives independent status.

It is grotesquely unfair for parents to earn enough to disqualify their kids from grants but then refuse to chip in. This would amount to the kid losing assistance due to money that he/she does not have any access to. Is this not repugnant to you - the federal government holding a kid hostage in an effort to coerce their parents to pay up? Because that is exactly what EFC is!!!

If you don't think parents should have that responsibility, then you should be willing to pay more taxes so the government can give out more Pell grants.
The entitlement mentality is strong with this one.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:22 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Life isn't always fair.
People need to deal with it.
This argument is so sweeping that you could use it to justify almost any policy you wanted.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The entitlement mentality is strong with this one.
It's the government that thinks that way! Those are the laws on the books - how else can they be interpreted? You know as well as I do that there isn't enough scholarship money to go around...

Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,296,718 times
$208k 401k
$20k 529

Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 AM

10,732 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
It's the government that thinks that way! Those are the laws on the books - how else can they be interpreted? You know as well as I do that there isn't enough scholarship money to go around...
I understood your position to be that parents and/or the government should be responsible for paying for higher ed. Is that correct, or have I mis-characterized your position?

Old 03-18-2014, 01:35 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
And what about the chil...excuse me....adult?? They can take on the responsibility for paying for their education as well. Why is it solely the parents and/or taxpayers responsibility (via grants/scholarship) to educate an 18-24 year old adult?

Kinda reminds me of this case

Rachel Canning, 'spoiled' New Jersey teen, goes home to parents - NY Daily News

Like i said, I'm not against a parent giving their kid a hand in achieving higher education if they have the means, but let the kid at least have a little skin in the game.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-18-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 04:47 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,385 times
Agreed. And hopefully you raise the kind of kid who does not want his/her parents to bear this kind of burden. It's a significant part of the reason why I joined the military right out of high school, even though my folks would have been able to manage it. Self-sufficiency is a great thing, and a way to show appreciation to one's parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
And what about the chil...excuse me....adult?? They can take on the responsibility for paying for their education as well. Why is it solely the parents and/or taxpayers responsibility (via grants/scholarship) to educate an 18-24 year old adult?

Like i said, I'm not against a parent giving their kid a hand in achieving higher education if they have the means, but let the kid at least have a little skin in the game.

Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I understood your position to be that parents and/or the government should be responsible for paying for higher ed. Is that correct, or have I mis-characterized your position?
There are only 3 things that could mean something other than their plain interpretation:

1. Expected
2. Family
3. Contribution

Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Having to work too many hours can definitely take a toll on grades and make it take longer to get through school. I graduated in 3 years, not because I am any sort of super-genius, but because of both scholarships and parental help, I didn't have to work at all, and took classes full-time during summer. And even got into grad school, and had a half-fellowship the first couple years.

If I had to work during undergrad, I would either have taken much longer or would have had poor grades and not gotten into a good grad program, or even both. If I had student loans, I would either be forced to tutor undergrads for ripoff fees, or worse yet, would have abandoned grad school completely. Now, I am on my own, and haven't taken financial help from parents since the beginning of grad school. I do RA and TAships, and only pay small fees ($400/semester) and tiny bits of tuition ($500 one semester, usually $0) here and there. No debt. But this is only possible because of the help I once had to get started.

I will do almost everything in my power to make sure my (future) kids have the same opportunity, even if it means not buying a house, doing without a car for longer than I otherwise would, working multiple jobs, etc. This doesn't mean cutting back on retirement savings (I have an IRA already, even though I'm still in school myself), just cutting out the usual middle class fluff that can be done without for a time if need be.

Because without the help I once had, I'd be nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance