Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Attitude Do You Lean Towards?
Save as much as possible for retirement! 31 51.67%
Spend a little and enjoy the present! 29 48.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:04 PM

577 posts, read 1,000,963 times

Advertisements

I had roomates (housemates, not actual rommates) throughout college and then for 4-5 years after I graduated. You could always find cases of the roomate from hell, or the rommate that is your best friend for life. People tend to file roomates into one of these two buckets. I never really desired to live on my own, would have been boring to me and I'm far from outgoing. But I paid a much cheaper rent price and had friends to hang out with or not every night.

Back to the original question. I max out retirement and my wife and I save a lot. In a fairly short time frame we've managed to set ourselves up on the right financial track for the future, not that we don't need to save any more, but we don't need to stress about every last dollar. Those early years are so important when you look at your finances over time. We are in our early 30's now.

We've made choices that I guess who be counted as not spending for today. We rent a small 2 bedroom place, we both drive 8-10 year old cars that are paid off. But the apartment is nice, perfect right now for us plus baby, and our cars are in great shape with still pretty low mileage. And no debt.

But living somewhat frugally on those items allows us a lot of financial flexibility. That trip to Hawaii, not even a second thought to the cost, I still make sure I'm getting value with every dollar, but it was never a budget concern. The misc. dinners, nights out, trips to Vegas, spending on hobbies etc. aren't a budget concern. MY wife could stop working if she wants to stay home with the baby and we could still continue our lifestyle. To me the flexibility equates to living for the now and the lack of daily stress that results equates to enjoying the present.

Last edited by msdmoney; 04-06-2014 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 02:13 PM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Everything is relative. After college, I had a roommate for 1 year. It was horrible. Wanting my own place isn't consumerism, it's me wanting to keep my sanity. I also have a motorcycle. Why? Because I enjoy riding it.

I agree that there is a consumer mindset in this country, but it sounds like you take it a little too far. You COULD live in a 200 SF apartment, only eat ramen, and walk everywhere instead of drive. But most people would be miserable if they did that.
Yeah I'm having a real hard time understanding how the average person could be financially secure after only 20 years of working for 50K in SF without major sacrifices. I am not doubting the poster, maybe (s)he is fine eating simple dinners at home and reading books and going for walks as their form of entertainment. Probably does not consider this a sacrifice at all. But I don't see how others who want more are "caught up in the commercial mindset".

Old 04-06-2014, 03:43 PM

106,554 posts, read 108,696,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I got a new roommate my senior year in college. Thirty-six years later, I still have the same roommate.
you should have moved when you had the chance, ha ha ha

Old 04-07-2014, 03:56 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I had roommates from the age of 18 to 31. Once we were able to afford our own house we got out of that arrangement as fast as possible. If you consider that being extravagant then we'll just disagree here but I feel as if I've paid my dues there.

I actually live a very simple life. I drive a '99 Protege, we rarely go out to dinner and never take expensive trips anymore. But certain things, like a DVR and HD with our cable TV, getting carryout instead of cooking Hamburger Helper or playing a round of golf once in a while are things I'm just not willing to give up.

I really don't care that people in third world countries do not have these things. I have access to them and I'm going to take advantage of that. I don't consider that irresponsible, I call it living the life I chose to live. These pleasures are not assumptions on what makes me happy, they are things that DO make me happy. Again you are asking me to make major compromises in order to have financial freedom.

No I stand by my position that you should live responsibly but do not forget that life if for living and you should do things that make you happy, especially when you are young and able to climb that mountain. As I keep saying nothing is guaranteed and if I was in my friend's shoes tomorrow I sure would not be wishing I had taken the life you are suggesting.
We're going round in circles here. I also think you're personalizing it too much. And yes, I get that people don't care about what happens in 3rd World Countries. It's a shame because we could learn a lot from those folks and their attitudes about life.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-07-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 04:01 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Everything is relative. After college, I had a roommate for 1 year. It was horrible. Wanting my own place isn't consumerism, it's me wanting to keep my sanity. I also have a motorcycle. Why? Because I enjoy riding it.

I agree that there is a consumer mindset in this country, but it sounds like you take it a little too far. You COULD live in a 200 SF apartment, only eat ramen, and walk everywhere instead of drive. But most people would be miserable if they did that.
I think the roommate from hell issue is a cultural problem we have related to lack of trust and lack of ability to cooperate and share. It costs us a lot in many ways, not just in money. Those same issues stemming from lack of trust contribute greatly to our high divorce rate.

As to your second post....I AM NOT living the life you describe above, and I get annoyed when people bring up extreme hyperbole suggesting that I am living that way or that I'm even advocating it.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:59 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,510 times
I always marvel at how these conversations inevitably lead to more back-and-forth than necessary on a point that's not even debatable. Clearly the less one spends and more one saves "today" -- the faster one's savings can accumulate/grow/compound -- and the earlier one might be able to retire.

In most cases....
If one person is willing to have a roommate, eat ramen noodles, not own a car, shop at thrift shops or make whatever lifestyle and spending decisions one makes -- in order to save money for retirement or to retire:
-- after 20 years of full time work...or
-- at 50 -- rather than 65 .... or
-- even 'sooner rather than later' .... or whenever....

.....not everyone would be willing to make that particular trade off...or those same sacrifices.

Those very same decisions would be considered 'sacrifices' by one person -- and NOT considered sacrifices by the other. I wish people wouldn't say that 'eating out' is a waste' or 'isn't important.' For THEM it's not important....to someone else it's very important, and something they're not willing to give up.

So to all of those who are willing to have a roommate, or eat ramen, or whatever -- more power to you. (I'm not) If doing that means you can retire early.....enjoy your early retirement....you've earned it.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:47 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I always marvel at how these conversations inevitably lead to more back-and-forth than necessary on a point that's not even debatable. Clearly the less one spends and more one saves "today" -- the faster one's savings can accumulate/grow/compound -- and the earlier one might be able to retire.

In most cases....
If one person is willing to have a roommate, eat ramen noodles, not own a car, shop at thrift shops or make whatever lifestyle and spending decisions one makes -- in order to save money for retirement or to retire:
-- after 20 years of full time work...or
-- at 50 -- rather than 65 .... or
-- even 'sooner rather than later' .... or whenever....

.....not everyone would be willing to make that particular trade off...or those same sacrifices.

Those very same decisions would be considered 'sacrifices' by one person -- and NOT considered sacrifices by the other. I wish people wouldn't say that 'eating out' is a waste' or 'isn't important.' For THEM it's not important....to someone else it's very important, and something they're not willing to give up.

So to all of those who are willing to have a roommate, or eat ramen, or whatever -- more power to you. (I'm not) If doing that means you can retire early.....enjoy your early retirement....you've earned it.
No actually I think both sides agree with every word of this post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance