Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:26 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I wouldn't dump it all into the house either. it really depends on his or her living costs as to how much he or she needs for emergency but on a 400k house...... Somewhere around 100-125k into the house is probably safe.

Parents can give 14k tax free to all children , children in law, or grand children per year I think.
14k is the limit without reporting it... if you're single. If you're married, the most the couple can give away is 28k.

Anything above that has to be reported on a form 709, and that amount will count towards the $5,250,000 lifetime exemption you get from the death tax. Both of those numbers are now indexed for inflation.

(Either way, odds are nobody's going to get double taxed for it...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:28 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Permanent Portfolio - Early Retirement Extreme Wiki

or 60/40 Stocks/bonds

or TIPS if I'm extremely conservative.

If interest rates spike quickly (not likely but not out of the question), maybe put the 100K into 10-20 year treasuries if their yields end up being higher than the current mortgage rate that you locked in.
Is your real question actually "Investing long-term vs. using it to prepay it all?" There's nothing wrong with weighing investing against putting the money down, but you really don't want your emergency fund tied up in long-term investments that might be illiquid or lose value when you need cash.

Personally, if I had no emergency savings I'd probably set aside the actual amount needed for an emergency fund (3-6 months of investments, not a random arbitrary number) and throw the rest at the down payment. Of course, if the gift is contingent upon him using for a down payment it's a moot point.

Of the emergency fund, assuming six months worth of expenses I'd put half in cash (money market or passbook savings account) and the other half in a 90-day CD so it might make a little more money until the time it's actually needed.

Last edited by duster1979; 03-27-2014 at 01:08 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 12:52 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times
Quote:
A friend of a friend wanted to buy a house.. he has no savings or emergency fund.

He wanted to buy a $400,000 house and his parents offered him $200,000. He spends all $200,000 on the down payments, and now he's back to no emergency fund and a $200,000 mortgage. And he has reasonably good credit.

(Now, some of us aren't fortunate enough to have family help chip in the cost of housing but that's not the main point of this post.)

If I were in his shoes, I probably would only take $100,000 for the downpayment and save the other $100,000 for an emergency fund. Do I sound crazy for proposing this instead? Sure, you'd have higher mortgage payments but interest rates are already pretty close to historical lows. Also, if he loses his job and can't pay mortgage payments, he'll be without a house and his parents $200,000 poorer, while if he had only put 100K down, he can draw on the remaining 100,000 to stay afloat while he looks for his next gig.

It seems nobody (at least in real life) understands my way of approaching this.. what do you think?
Your approach is absolutely correct.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:02 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
How do you know this? 30K would hardly get ANYONE through a year of unemployment....sorry, but there is no such thing as having too much liquid money in an emergency....
Depending on where you live ...
Depending on if you're single or married or have kids ...
Depending on what your monthly bills are ...
Lots of people live on 30K, and they're working.

Unemployment - I lived on 8600 (1400 a month) for 6 months, without touching my savings. And that included making my mortgage payment.

It can be done.

But I would never - ever - want to do it again.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:36 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
How do you know this? 30K would hardly get ANYONE through a year of unemployment....sorry, but there is no such thing as having too much liquid money in an emergency....
Well, you can't be sure (just like you can't be sure you won't be struck by lightning or a car tomorrow), but it shouldn't be that tough to go 6 months on $30,000 without an income (actually longer if you include unemployment benefits). And this assumes no change to lifestyle. I would assume a prudent homeowner would at least take in tenants/roommates and limit takeout food and driving until the next job comes along.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Well...how about taking the 200K and buying a 200K house? Shame on his parents for enabling his stupidity.
200K can't buy you a house proper (i.e. not condo or townhome) in liveable condition in some areas, notably downtowns of big cities (DC, SF, NYC, Boston).

Old 03-27-2014, 02:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
A friend of a friend wanted to buy a house.. he has no savings or emergency fund.

He wanted to buy a $400,000 house and his parents offered him $200,000. He spends all $200,000 on the down payments, and now he's back to no emergency fund and a $200,000 mortgage. And he has reasonably good credit.

(Now, some of us aren't fortunate enough to have family help chip in the cost of housing but that's not the main point of this post.)

If I were in his shoes, I probably would only take $100,000 for the downpayment and save the other $100,000 for an emergency fund. Do I sound crazy for proposing this instead? Sure, you'd have higher mortgage payments but interest rates are already pretty close to historical lows. Also, if he loses his job and can't pay mortgage payments, he'll be without a house and his parents $200,000 poorer, while if he had only put 100K down, he can draw on the remaining 100,000 to stay afloat while he looks for his next gig.

It seems nobody (at least in real life) understands my way of approaching this.. what do you think?
Nope, put the $200,000 into the downpayment. Get insurance to deal with the loss of a job because of health issues or other situations.

There are lots of options for people who want to get some type of insurance to pay their monthly bills if something goes wrong.

If they lose their job or whatever, the $100,000 is spent, then what? Even if they get back on their feet, now they have a higher monthly payment to deal with making everything that much more difficult.

Why tie up all that cash as a quasi insurance fund when for a fraction of that buy the same and then when it isn't a big factor anymore, cancel it. It costs a little bit of money now but it doesn't go on forever and they aren't trying up 100 grand.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:44 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I would have told my parents thanks but no thanks.
That's their money to enjoy while they are alive and if they want to spend it making others happy, they can put it into a college fund for my kids.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
No, you make a good suggestion. If he could have found a fixer-upper, or a great deal for that 200,000 or less that would have been an option.
Well if it was a fixer upper bought with cash leaving no savings, it would require borrowing money to fix it up, so there would still be a mortgage on it!

Old 03-27-2014, 04:24 PM

486 posts, read 832,311 times
I personally had a similar situation.

I would put 20-25% down to get the lower interest rate. Keep 6 months as an e-fund and then invested the rest of the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance