Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times

Advertisements

"MLMS are counterfeit Christianity Right Wing Cults..."

I doubt this is true of all MLMs, but it certainly is true for scAmway and Primerica. Mary Kay, also, has a ridged right wing outlook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 09:32 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
The people who succeed at MLMs realize that the product they are selling isn't vitamins, flavored water, or cosmetics; it is really about selling the program to other people. Those people in turn buy training materials and in turn recruit others to join, which in turns fattens up your "downline".

You are screwed if you are actually the one trying to peddle the actual product. In fact, the qualities of the actual product are inconsequential...You can buy basically that same product at your corner drugstore for a fraction of the price.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:18 PM

592 posts, read 802,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
The people who succeed at MLMs realize that the product they are selling isn't vitamins, flavored water, or cosmetics; it is really about selling the program to other people. Those people in turn buy training materials and in turn recruit others to join, which in turns fattens up your "downline".

You are screwed if you are actually the one trying to peddle the actual product. In fact, the qualities of the actual product are inconsequential...You can buy basically that same product at your corner drugstore for a fraction of the price.
This is where a lot of people lose money.. because you are forced to buy whatever the product is. (Inventory) of over priced goods or services.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:45 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
The focus of most MLM schemes is "How much you'll make by simply giving other people (aka: friends and family members) the opportunity to sell the product/s for you." Gullible people who have never been in sales often buy-into this scenario ... and wind-up with a garage-full of high priced products; plus ex-friends and irritated family members who feel like they've been used.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:54 PM

577 posts, read 1,000,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
MLM is just about marketing and commission payouts. That's why it's called Multi Level Marketing. The company and product should be looked at separately. Once you understand the separation then you look at the product and the compensation to see if you had to could you make a living just from the sale of the product if you had to.

Companies using a MLM concept to market and sell products have been around for years. From what I see the problem isn't with the companies as a whole but the problem is most people don't like to sell. Also it's easy for many to punch a clock and pick up that check on Friday or get that direct deposit on Thursday night rather than hit the bricks do I B-) training and selling.

So for all those who say it's a scam so what because there are many people doing it anyway. As for telling someone e not to do something that's taking on a huge responsibility because you you really know what their long term financial situation is or will be? Will you help fund their debt reduction or retirement plan? What about college cost?

MLM isn't for everyone but for the right person who finds the right company it's the best thing for them. Just understand there are no more employment guarantees.
This is the same pitch that they give at a lot of the MLM sessions. It feeds on the reaction that most Americans have the idea that if you just work hard there is no limit to what you can achieve. And not only that, but you will be your own business, not some cubicle nine to fiver. Then cue the pictures of wealth and money.

I still think there is a problem when the focus isn't on the product, selling somebody on the idea that they can make money selling the product.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:03 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Do you really want to be a part of an enterprise that treats your friend and family as the Comstock Lode waiting to be mined? Are you ready for people to see your name on the Caller ID and think, "Oh, no. It's Time2Improve. What in God's name is he going to sell me now?" Do you really want to spend your nights and weekends peddling stuff to people who buy out of sympathy and little else? Do you really want to drain your bank account chasing an unprofitable venture like this?

Because that's what MLM is all about. If you need extra money, start a real business with real value to people and do it at nights and on the weekend. But please don't taint your relationships with commerce. You'll really hate yourself for it in the end.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 PM

592 posts, read 802,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Do you really want to be a part of an enterprise that treats your friend and family as the Comstock Lode waiting to be mined? Are you ready for people to see your name on the Caller ID and think, "Oh, no. It's Time2Improve. What in God's name is he going to sell me now?" Do you really want to spend your nights and weekends peddling stuff to people who buy out of sympathy and little else? Do you really want to drain your bank account chasing an unprofitable venture like this?

Because that's what MLM is all about. If you need extra money, start a real business with real value to people and do it at nights and on the weekend. But please don't taint your relationships with commerce. You'll really hate yourself for it in the end.
For the last time...I'm not the one trying to join an mlm. My family member is and I tried to talk them out of it. What you're saying is correct though. I definitely think most mlm is destructive. I tried one years ago. I stayed in for about a month. I'm convinced it was a cult.

Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
The one's that annoy me are Mary Kay type deals. They sell crappy makeup that you can buy at the dollar store and for 20x the price. But if you are lucky they will bless you with the privilege of bothering your family and friends as well! Oh and if you are really good you get to flaunt it to the world in a hideous pink vehicle.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:02 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Improve View Post
This is where a lot of people lose money.. because you are forced to buy whatever the product is. (Inventory) of over priced goods or services.
That, as well as a ton of "training" (cough...brainwashing...cough) materials. Join a MLM and expect to be "encouraged" by your upline to purchase books, tapes, DVDs in order to learn how to succeed in sales. Just guess who offers those materials for sale!!

Then there is the annual conference that everyone is expected to attend on their own dime, just so you can experience a laser light show and some more rah-rah-rah from the higher ups in the MLM. Of course, they have plenty of training materials on sale there as well, plus "optional" workshops and symposia to attend....

Its amazing people don't see right through this racket (or bother to do a quick google search).

Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
An alarm should go off anytime you are approached in a parking lot with a "job offer". This is how these MLM people have approached me.

Job requirements: Start up $ and the ability to breathe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance