Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:13 AM

147 posts, read 306,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you do not like the idea of being tied down to a place, you should not buy a house.
The OP doesn't want to buy a house right now.

OP, I see nothing wrong with this as long as you put your savings in a good long term investment vehicle. If you have the savings sitting in a bank account however, inflation will burn you, and might even prevent you from ever being able to pay for the house outright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 07:19 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool85 View Post
I pose this question because I hate the idea of being "house-poor".

I also hate the idea of being tied down to one place.
I'm house poor and tied to one place (for 5 more years until my kids graduate from HS)

I have not found the cost of maintaining a home to be worth the gains of the tax break.

In all 4 homes I've owned it's been just one darn thing after another that needs my money/attention.

I plan to sell ASAP, Invest my equity (or spend it on my kids college tuition), get a nice rental for a decent price, and live my life.

Granted, I never owned a house long enough for it to be really financially worthwhile, but that can't always be helped.

"You don't own a house, a house owns you"

If you don't want to buy a house right now, don't.

Save what money you can, and if you decide to buy a house in the future, great! Do it, or maybe not.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:36 AM

592 posts, read 1,478,693 times
Quote:

This is the most important factor.. if you see a nomad lifestyle for the upcoming years, do not buy. Every time you buy its more closing costs and realtor commissions.

I am a computer guy and have in the back of my mind the idea of being a nomad... grab computer consulting gig in some other city, rent for a year, and then say to my wife "where do you want to live next year?"

that being said we just bought a house. hah.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
There is nothing wrong with renting until you are ready to buy a house, if and when you are ready to "settle down." On the other hand, I wouldn't hold off on buying a house just so I could buy one for 100% cash.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 PM

181 posts, read 499,560 times
Quote:
If you do not like the idea of being tied down to a place, you should not buy a house.

If you do not want to be house poor, then do not overbuy.
I should have given more context.

I live in Toronto. Houses in the city cost WELL over 700 000, for anything more than a shed. Most condos cost around 300 000-320 000 for 1 bedroom. Condo fees are usually an additional 400, I think. So it's rather pricey. It's not Manhattan or anything, but it's more expensive than usual.

Conversely, rent for a 1-2 bedroom apartment/condo is probably around 1200-1800 per month.

And the burbs aren't cheap enough to justify the torment.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
renting is always a bad decision buying is never bad. its just a matter of when & what.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-22-2014 at 07:21 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 08:58 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
On the topic of renting vs buying, it's important to remember that even in the same neighborhood, these are two completely seperate markets, each with a supply of and a demand for inventory. The result is that there can easily be a large disparity between the going rate for rent and what an equivalent mortgage payment would be on a similar property. In my hometown, which has a large population of working class people with bad credit, a very modest $50,000 house can easily rent for $800+/month. Buying is usually a better deal if you can get the loan. If renters, who usually lack the ability to buy, weren't so inclined to destroy property and neglect to pay rent, it would be ideal for investors. Long story short, the ratio of total cost to rent vs buy varies substantially by location and is a critical piece of the calculus. Sometimes, the ratio is surprisingly lopsided.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:56 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
While you are saving money, you will be taxed on the profits. If you take out a mortgage, you get a tax break.
But the tax break for mortgage interest is a deduction, not a credit. If your marginal tax rate is 25% you'll save $250 for every $1000 spent in interest, for a net loss of $750. Seems like it would make more sense not to spend the $1000 in interest at all.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:14 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
I pose this question because I hate the idea of being "house-poor".

What will you get in 15-20 years for 330k?
We bought three years ago now houses in the same street run 20-25% more at 2.5-3% property tax.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:39 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
Quote:
While you are saving money, you will be taxed on the profits. If you take out a mortgage, you get a tax break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
But the tax break for mortgage interest is a deduction, not a credit. If your marginal tax rate is 25% you'll save $250 for every $1000 spent in interest, for a net loss of $750. Seems like it would make more sense not to spend the $1000 in interest at all.
Where did he say it was a credit? I have no idea why this comes up so often on this forum. Just because it is a deduction and not a credit does not mean it isn't a tax break. How much of your rent did you deduct?

With interest rates so low, it can make sense to have a mortgage even if one has the cash to buy outright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance