Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
I don't know about the unlisted/unpublished number - mine is showing and it is supposed to be non-published
Perhaps your mileage may vary in different states and/or cities. Worked for me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 12:24 PM

226 posts, read 1,169,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Well there really isnt much that anyone can do knowing
a name, and industry.

Usually isnt enough information that a "hacker" couldnt get simply by opening up a phone book, or in this case, simply looking up realtor.com or opening up a homes magazine. Most of them list, city, phone numbers, including cell phones, and some indication of "wealth" of the agent. Are they selling a $5,000,000 home, or a $50,000 one.. I would assume that the agents that sell the higher priced homes, have a higher net year then those selling $50K ones.. Face with targeting the two.. I know what one I'd go after..

I have tried numerous times to get my name out of Wikipedia, eventually I'll end up sending a legal letter to ask that it be removed. Not sure if I have any legal justification though but I'm sure they have legal grounds to list me.
Actually, I suppose once you post your legal name on here just once, you have created a chain that some crook in the Ukraine can follow if he wanted to. Remember all the personal info on personal web pages, when the web was younger? Now that was nuts. I still think that posting personal info, even when business related, poses hazards, and try to avoid it as much as possible, same with using phone numbers and addresses as memory cues in passwords, which is way more common than you would think, along with birthdays. I would say that as long as you are smart about it, and keep all personal or business finances, along with anything else thieves many find handy to create an identity or rip someone off, off the web, you should be okay. If that one little careless link or bit of info ends up being used against you, I suppose you can blame yourself for being that careless. Don't forget companies themselves have to be careful on here. That caution works just as well for sole proprietors for sure.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:32 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
I searched and searched and found NOTHING......NOW I"m beginning to doubt my existance.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
I searched and searched and found NOTHING......NOW I"m beginning to doubt my existance.
Did you spell your name wrong? That can make a difference.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,984,317 times
Quote:

You sure you looked under "dynimagelv?"

Old 12-11-2007, 01:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
you know there are some benefits to having a very common name. i mean i miss airline flights i miss getting a table at a restaurant from time to time, but
being a joe blow has advantages.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-11-2007 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-11-2007, 03:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
you know your post would have been funnier had no one responded to your posting.. giving you just another reason to doubt your existance..

Old 12-11-2007, 05:18 PM

965 posts, read 4,500,024 times
Quote:
Cute! How about the IRS? Any luck with dodging them? Now that's invisibility!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance