Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 01:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,601,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
How long does it take for my name to come out of the cache? Surely, the search engines update their information, right?
I've read 10 years, although I don't think it's that long. If it was there would be information about me out there.

Found this:

Days to months, depends on how long it takes for Google to re spider
and update the database etc...

And because the page has changed and even the Google cache, does not
mean all of Google has taken the change into account.

The above assumes there are no links to the pages using your name, if
there are it will probably stay listed as long as the links remain
using your name as anchor text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 01:14 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,668,235 times
Quote:
How long does it take for my name to come out of the cache? Surely, the search engines update their information, right?
There is a organization called The Internet Archive.

Internet Archive

That tries to "archive" all information on the web, so one can go back in time, basically. Once it's out there, it's sort of out there. Even if it's deleted from the original website, the info could be floating out in cyberspace.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:22 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,386,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
There is a organization called The Internet Archive.

Internet Archive

That tries to "archive" all information on the web, so one can go back in time, basically. Once it's out there, it's sort of out there. Even if it's deleted from the original website, the info could be floating out in cyberspace.
As long as it's not quite so easy to find, I'll be happy.

Old 12-10-2007, 01:53 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,666,305 times
Someone took a bunch of pictures at our high school reunion and posted them on an alumni website. Now if you google my name, there I am and it ticks me off! My only condolence is that I looked pretty good that night....

Still, it's disconcerting to have you picture(s) out there for anyone to see.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,055,744 times
Quote:
I tried zabasearch and found my name, phone number, and every place I ever lived in listed on there. This is really scary stuff.

I sometimes date men I meet on the internet. I use a different name, and they'll ask, why didn't you tell me you're real name. Well, I am never giving out my real name again.

I got this awful phone call yesterday. It was some guy calling me all kinds of names. I'm almost certain it was this guy I went on a date with a few months ago. I knew there was something weird about him. I left him at the restaurant, and he took it very personally. I got this lengthy email from him later accusing me of this and that. I accidentally gave him my real name and phone # (it was a slip) but from now on I will be extra careful and never trust anyone.
Zabasearch (as any other site of this type) uses land lines. The numbers must be taken from the phone directory. Since I moved to my current place, I've been paying a few bucks a month to the phone company to have my number unlisted. Even though my number hasn't been changed, it can't be traced to my current address. Zabasearch does show my previous locations. If you're not planning to move, though, you're stuck... So far haven't found any info on cell phones.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Zabasearch (as any other site of this type) uses land lines. The numbers must be taken from the phone directory. Since I moved to my current place, I've been paying a few bucks a month to the phone company to have my number unlisted. Even though my number hasn't been changed, it can't be traced to my current address. Zabasearch does show my previous locations. If you're not planning to move, though, you're stuck... So far haven't found any info on cell phones.
They access all public records (as any of us can) and that's why they list me there. I own a house. They can't get my phone number (unlisted, unpublished) and there is so little about me out there that when my name is clicked on it goes to the nearest business (not mine) that has an owner with my last name.

So Greenie, when you get where you're going have an unpublished phone number and be careful what you post. Use a PO Box if you need to be extra careful for awhile.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:19 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,668,235 times
Greenie, glad you're doing the permanent relo thing. Careful about revealing details of your new pad.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,576,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
They access all public records (as any of us can) and that's why they list me there. I own a house. They can't get my phone number (unlisted, unpublished) and there is so little about me out there that when my name is clicked on it goes to the nearest business (not mine) that has an owner with my last name.

So Greenie, when you get where you're going have an unpublished phone number and be careful what you post. Use a PO Box if you need to be extra careful for awhile.
I don't know about the unlisted/unpublished number - mine is showing and it is supposed to be non-published

Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,312,730 times
Thanks for the info. I knew about Google and had our stuff removed but I didnt know about the other sites. Im shy. I dont like peeps lookin at my personal priivate stuff

I used to work in telecommunications engineering. heres somethin the phone company dont tell you. You dont have to pay for a NP number. You can list your number under any name you want. Most times you can just go online to their website and change it.

Mines in one of my cats names. As long as the bill gets paid they dont care who's name its in. Just dont tell them its not a real name. And obviously it has to be a plausible name like Fred Johnson. Fluffy Johnson isnt gonna do it.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,386,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
Thanks for the info. I knew about Google and had our stuff removed but I didnt know about the other sites. Im shy. I dont like peeps lookin at my personal priivate stuff

I used to work in telecommunications engineering. heres somethin the phone company dont tell you. You dont have to pay for a NP number. You can list your number under any name you want. Most times you can just go online to their website and change it.

Mines in one of my cats names. As long as the bill gets paid they dont care who's name its in. Just dont tell them its not a real name. And obviously it has to be a plausible name like Fred Johnson. Fluffy Johnson isnt gonna do it.
Great idea. I will do this from now on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance