Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2014, 02:33 PM

31 posts, read 172,109 times

Advertisements

Over the last 3 years, I've closed 4 credit card accounts that were all my oldest. They were from a period where my credit was really bad, so they all had low (3x $500, 1x $2000 ) credit limits an annual fees of $40/yr each. The oldest one was a Capital One Platinum card with the $2k CL.

While I now have newer cards with much much higher CL's to boost my credit score ( I pay off cards in full every month ), Credit Karma has my score as 686 and gives me an "F" in credit age.

I think reopening the card would be worth it to boost my score for when I go to buy a home next year. Obviously, it's just one part of a larger strategy to get the best deal possible on the home loan.

I've called them twice to see if I could reopen the card or open a new card and transfer the age/history to the new card, much like American Express does with their card, but they are like a brick wall in the matter. I mention that they have been asking me to come back via email every since I closed the last account, and I would do so on the condition they apply the closed account's age to any account I open or re-open.

Should I give up and let time take care of boosting the account age part of my credit score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 03:31 PM

253 posts, read 375,999 times
To the best of my knowledge, Capital One doesn't reopen cards. However, if you wait about 6 months or so and continue to pay on time, your score will probably be above 700 without the old Capital One card.If you haven't already, focus on your utilization of your current credit limits. Be sure that you aren't using more than 25% of any one credit limit and your score may rise even more quickly than the 6 month estimate.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:40 PM

31 posts, read 172,109 times
Thank you for taking the time to reply. As I stated, I pay my cards in full every month, so on time payments are not a problem. I have opened several new cards this year so that I have rewards cards that align closely with my spending habits( grocery, gas, restaurant, etc ), that definitely hurt the avg age as well.

I'll play the waiting game for the account age part of my score, and be extra aggressive in boosting the other areas. I will be extremely relieved when I get to 700.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,780,824 times
I'm pretty sure closed accounts still count towards your avg age until they fall off your credit report.

They don't count towards your available credit, but I'm 95% certain they count towards age so I don't think there is a point in reopening the accounts.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 18,405 times
capital one account closed as card had not been used for two years. want to reopen it but how easy is this

Old 11-06-2015, 12:43 PM

22,247 posts, read 47,165,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milly264 View Post
capital one account closed as card had not been used for two years. want to reopen it but how easy is this
Read post #2 for the answer you seek....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance