Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 05:57 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,796,272 times

Advertisements

Is this the type of loan that can be wage garnished up to 10%? I'm guessing not since no one has mentioned that possibility. Years ago, my wages were garnished until a small student loan (about $6000) was paid off. Also my tax refunds were withheld until the debt was satisfied.

I cannot imagine the stress of knowing I had so much debt! I'm not sure running away is the answer, but I can't advise what is the best course of action.

Perhaps getting a second or third job and just working as many hours as possible could help. I don't think "blaming the system" solves anything. The OP willingly signed the loan papers, after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 06:07 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,832 times
Suing wont do anything if hes living in a 3rd world country.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:05 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,785,211 times
Exclamation Hmmmm?? Very interesting thread!

A long time friend and I were discussing her student loan debt a year ago and I was really shocked by what she said. I had no idea she was in this predicament. So sad and unreal at the same time. She went to University of Phoenix to finish her BA while working. Honestly I can't recall if it's been 20 or 30 yrs now, but it wasn't real recent.

Anyways she told me the original debt was around $13K and she had offered them $20K but they wouldn't take it. I was confused, so I pushed her for what the current debt is. Well we've known each other a long time and she was very embarrassed, but she ended up telling me $188K !!!

I was completely unaware that this kind of debt could snowball like that . I asked her why she hadn't paid the debt back a long time ago, but she said her family had financial problems and so they pushed this debt aside. She hasn't left the country and I have no idea how it actually affects her life on a daily basis, but to have that kind of debt hanging over your head is overwhelming . I don't understand why they won't negotiate with her for a lower amount? I mean $20K is better than nothing.

I can't judge anyone. I couldn't afford college out of high school besides JC or even now. I believe people should pay their debt, but I realize that sometimes they can't. I don't have any answers and I hate that the jobs aren't there for many folks with or without college degrees, young or old, black, white or Asian.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:12 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Don't forget, you can't get blood out of a turnip.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:32 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,875,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Don't forget, you can't get blood out of a turnip.
Very true, but how many turnips do you know want to give up life in The US and live in a hut in the desert to avoid a debt they made the decision to incur? Someday the person will age and hopefully mature and realize they ruined their live by making bad decisions.
It's called being a scofflaw, and proves they have no character. They have to live with that fact for the rest of their lives..
Remember, the debt they owe and refuse to pay is going to be paid by us..!!

Old 05-25-2014, 08:37 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatillusion View Post
No, the pay just allows him to live modestly by that countries standards. He'd be unable to even come up with 1/3 of the minimum payment required by Sallie Mae.

If nobody is answering the questions, why bother? Not looking for morality responses here.
Afaik federally funded student loans will never go away. You can't list them in a bankruptcy and they don't just go away with time. Eventually he will want to come home buy a house extend credit in some form buy house etc. This will come back to haunt him.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:41 AM

2,319 posts, read 3,050,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Very true, but how many turnips do you know want to give up life in The US and live in a hut in the desert to avoid a debt they made the decision to incur? Someday the person will age and hopefully mature and realize they ruined their live by making bad decisions.
It's called being a scofflaw, and proves they have no character. They have to live with that fact for the rest of their lives..
Remember, the debt they owe and refuse to pay is going to be paid by us..!!
What hasn't been said, though, is whether this person is from the US originally or from SE Asia. For all we know he is going home. For all we know he racked up all this debt on a student VISA and has been hiding since he finished school.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 AM

120 posts, read 175,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
What hasn't been said, though, is whether this person is from the US originally or from SE Asia. For all we know he is going home. For all we know he racked up all this debt on a student VISA and has been hiding since he finished school.
Come on, we all know Asians don't take on debts And since the OP mentioned he hopes to get some "local honey" when he moves to SEA, it's pretty clear he is a self-entitled white dude.

In a more serious note, I have zero empathy for the OP (and I suspect most of the people in this thread share my sentiment). Life can be tough, a grown-up needs to be responsible for their own actions.

Last edited by Chengdu Nanhai; 05-25-2014 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM

327 posts, read 568,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
Come on, we all know Asians don't take on debts And since the OP mentioned he hopes to get some "local honey" when he moves to SEA, it's pretty clear he is a self-entitled white dude.

In a more serious note, I have zero empathy for the OP (and I suspect most of the people in this thread share my sentiment). Life can be tough, a grown-up needs to be responsible for their own actions.

Sounds like he is broke and like I said above, in Asia it's "no money, no honey."

Old 05-25-2014, 11:23 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
Sounds like he is broke and like I said above, in Asia it's "no money, no honey."
Being broke in one's native country stinks, but I can't imagine being broke on the other side of the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance