Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 11:06 AM

149 posts, read 198,026 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just had our first child. My wife is a huge fan of "whole" life insurance. I have always been confused by whole life insurance because... well... it doesn't seem like insurance at all.

Term life makes sense to me. If I die young, I want my family to have a big payday because they won't have my income to support them. If I die the day after a 30 year term life policy expires, they won't need it because, even if I saved nothing, I would have still already earned the income that I was afraid of them living without.

Whole life is just confusing. I am very financially savvy, but I don't even understand what it is. It isn't equity (like stocks) where I would own a part of a business. It isn't a commodity like gold. It isn't someone else's debt, that they owe me. It isn't a savings account. It has an "insurance" aspect to it, in that there is a payoff if an insured event occurs, but I don't get the other "half". I have heard some people call it a "savings half".

If I wanted savings, why wouldn't I just buy 30 year treasury bonds?

To make it worse, whole life policies just seem like peanuts. So, if I die they get a whopping $35,000? That wouldn't even cover their expenses for the first year!

I guess it is just hard for me to wrap my brain around it. I have a general rule that the more complex something is, the better it is for the person trying to sell it to me and the worse it is for me. Am I being paranoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 11:15 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswanstr View Post
Am I being paranoid?
No. There are cases where an investment in whole life has worked out to the benefit of the owner, but generally speaking you are much better off buying dirt-cheap term insurance for the death benefit and investing the difference in the cost of the premiums in vehicles that will provide a higher return.

And I'm not speaking theoretically. I bought into the sales pitch early in my adult life and bought a couple of whole life policies. It was only after completing a bachelor's degree in finance and looking back to see that my returns weren't anywhere close to what was promised during the sales pitch (not to mention that the death benefit was barely enough to cover a funeral) that I realized it was a bad choice.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:30 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Congrats on the baby.

Yeah term is what you want.

My wife has life insurance also. I want to be able to be a stay at home dad if I need to. Hers is 1/3 cheaper than mine, assuming it is because she is a female.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:54 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
To keep it basic when do you expect to die and do you want to leave any money behind on a guaranteed basis? You can get a whole life or a guaranteed universal policy and add a term rider for the years you need the high coverage.

Something to consider is equities are not guaranteed. For years people have said buy term and invest the difference but down turns have blown up those plans. Leaving people with sticker shock at renewal time when the coverage is still needed. So speak with an independent agent and consider blending some term with some permanent coverage.

Just as a side note death is a 100% event for all but it's said only 2% of term policies go to claim. Yet a permanent policy is designed to go to claim whenever death happens. In some plans up to age 121.

One more observation. I have seen people have the ability to borrow from their WL policy when banks said no. An insurance policy doesn't care about your fico scored when in a pinch.

http://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=DFrBFT5HiOQ

Old 06-20-2014, 01:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Just as a side note death is a 100% event for all but it's said only 2% of term policies go to claim.
im sure thats why its so much cheaper than whole life.

whole life may or not be a scam but it certainly isnt worth trying to figure it out. if you are concerned about your family losing your income in the next 30 years, then get a term life plan to cover that.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
I have been happy with Universal Life through Ameritas.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:37 PM

my mother had some kind of whole life product for a bunch of years. put a lot of money into it. her financial situation changed and she had to give it up. so money down the toilet. im sure her financial advisor made a sweet commission on the deal though!

Old 06-20-2014, 01:43 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Whole Life isn't a scam. It's just a tool designed for a purpose. For those with term policies look at the premiums say at year 21 for a 20 year term or year 31 for a 30 year term going forward. Buy the policy you need but just be as much informed as possible.

There's a reason the Final Expense market (small WL policies for burial) is exploding for the baby boomers. Most people don't save and life events happen. Oh one more thing. When you get your term if possible discuss how the payout will be used. For many people it's gone in a few years after paid out. A $350,000 check that's meant to last many years can go real quick.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:16 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Whole Life isn't a scam. It's just a tool designed for a purpose. For those with term policies look at the premiums say at year 21 for a 20 year term or year 31 for a 30 year term going forward. Buy the policy you need but just be as much informed as possible.

There's a reason the Final Expense market (small WL policies for burial) is exploding for the baby boomers. Most people don't save and life events happen. Oh one more thing. When you get your term if possible discuss how the payout will be used. For many people it's gone in a few years after paid out. A $350,000 check that's meant to last many years can go real quick.
If it's a significant amount the best move is to create a trust to administer the proceeds if there's any question as to whether the intended beneficiaries will use the money as intended.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:

there's gotta be a better "forced savings" vehicle than a life insurance policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance