Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Why not the military? Sounds like it would answer all your questions.
Too much work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 05:13 PM

154 posts, read 307,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
Since you mentioned internships, is it true that companies give people internships if they aren't in school?
No. There are precise legal restrictions governing what an internship actually is - if not, why would businesses hire and pay anyone rather than having interns? - and the vast majority of organizations are now incredibly careful about interns - they require paperwork from a college, etc. In addition, internships are becoming increasingly scarce. The economy is in the toilet, so people are staying in school longer and going back to school, creating an abundance of interns. The "intern market" is even tougher than the job market right now.

Just go back to school, do your time and sweat your sweat like everybody else. Why are you so resistant to going back to school? Dig deep. What are you afraid of? Whatever that is, is it worse than your current reality, which will likely remain your reality for decades to come if you don't do something to change it?

Also - with regard to getting a position as an office clerk or receptionist, don't get your hopes up. Most "entry-level" administrative positions are now requiring a couple of years of experience and/or a college degree (A.A. or otherwise).

And finally, no, it's not easy, and I've never said that it was. Listen, I have been in your shoes. I had to move out at age 18. Was homeless for a stretch. You think I didn't feel lost?

If I could talk to the younger version of myself, I would smack her upside the head for not getting back to school earlier. I could've been earning $45k or $50k the past 4 years if I'd just gotten back in school a little sooner. Instead, I've earned from $19k to $30k (barely livable in MA) for the past 4 years.

To succeed, you are going to have to adopt the attitude and motto, "Whatever it takes." Whether that means you have to move back in with your parents for a couple of years or you work 3-4 jobs forever and never go back to school - you just have to do it.

Last edited by patsfanboston; 07-07-2014 at 05:23 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanboston View Post
No. There are precise legal restrictions governing what an internship actually is - if not, why would businesses hire and pay anyone rather than having interns? - and the vast majority of organizations are now incredibly careful about interns - they require paperwork from a college, etc. In addition, internships are becoming increasingly scarce. The economy is in the toilet, so people are staying in school longer and going back to school, creating an abundance of interns. The "intern market" is even tougher than the job market right now.

Just go back to school, do your time and sweat your sweat like everybody else. Why are you so resistant to going back to school? Dig deep. What are you afraid of? Whatever that is, is it worse than your current reality, which will likely remain your reality for decades to come if you don't do something to change it?

Also - with regard to getting a position as an office clerk or receptionist, don't get your hopes up. Most "entry-level" administrative positions are now requiring a couple of years of experience and/or a college degree (A.A. or otherwise).

I'm in finance and manage a handful of offices with about 80 in the staff and a degree AA or BA/BS isn't something we require or experiance for admin or receptionist. In an analyst role? Sure but not admin which when we do have openings we start in the mod 30s to low 40s

Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM

154 posts, read 307,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm in finance and manage a handful of offices with about 80 in the staff and a degree AA or BA/BS isn't something we require or experiance for admin or receptionist. In an analyst role? Sure but not admin which when we do have openings we start in the mod 30s to low 40s
That's your office. But realistically, if TySky applied to one of those positions at your office, would you hire him/her? Unfortunately, TySky does not seem to possess exceptional or even adequate written communication skills (not a knock, TS, just being realistic) and would not represent your firm well.

FWIW, in my area (Massachusetts), the vast majority of administrative roles pay $25,000 to $35,000 and are highly competitive. The last administrative job I applied to, which I was awarded, received 200+ resumes.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfanboston View Post
That's your office. But realistically, if TySky applied to one of those positions at your office, would you hire him/her? Unfortunately, TySky does not seem to possess exceptional or even adequate written communication skills (not a knock, TS, just being realistic) and would not represent your firm well.

FWIW, in my area (Massachusetts), the vast majority of administrative roles pay $25,000 to $35,000 and are highly competitive. The last administrative job I applied to, which I was awarded, received 200+ resumes.

I'd have to talk to tysky to be able to tell you. I can tell you my company is worldwide and in Massachusetts we still wouldn't require a degree for a receptionist or admin role. It's simply not needed. Degree or no degree if you can't carry a good conversation you aren't going to make it at least in my office

Old 07-07-2014, 07:08 PM

285 posts, read 1,205,740 times
@patsfanboston
Okay I understand now! However I didn't know that my writing skills were taken so seriously on these forums! lol My spelling at punctuations are the last I think about on here however

Anyways
No Im still in school, Im still a student, its just that the degree that im currently on right now, which is Television Production Technology, my mom and sister feel like its not a real reliable career and it will be difficult to support myself financially. However that is what all I have when it comes to an interest. So I thought about Massage Therapy, however the school that I go to now doesnt have that program so Im in a "crossroad" to either continue my AS degree in TV production or find something else to do. However other than TV production and Massage Therapy for a career I dont have anything in mind. I have a book Careers for dummies and Im looking through it however I dont find anything that attracts me. I just need to have a career where I dont have to use algebraic, calculus trig etc because I AM HORRIFIC in math

I got you though! To be honest I really need to take a week just by myself and go outside to the park, just walk and sit and think what I want to do with my life no TV, no social media, nothing. I think that might be the only way for me to see what I really want to do with my life, and then take it from there and then just have that mentality and attitude "Whatever it takes to get what to where I want" Thank You

Old 07-07-2014, 07:40 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
[/quote]@patsfanboston
Okay I understand now! However I didn't know that my writing skills were taken so seriously on these forums! lol My spelling at punctuations are the last I think about on here however[/quote]

Good grammar and punctuation reflect a certain attitude of conscientiousness. People who are conscientious about grammar, spelling, and punctuation tend to be conscientious about other things as well.

[/quote]Anyways
No Im still in school, Im still a student, its just that the degree that im currently on right now, which is Television Production Technology, my mom and sister feel like its not a real reliable career and it will be difficult to support myself financially. However that is what all I have when it comes to an interest.[/quote]

Your mom and sister are probably correct. If you only have this as an interest, it shows how limited you are in your thinking. Most people are really BAD at predicting what kinds of jobs they'll like doing. You also have to factor in the lifestyle you have to live in order to be successful in that field. It may require moving around a lot from city to city and living on very low wages to break into it. If you can't handle that (and most of us couldn't), then you're not as passionate about it as you say.

This was a GREAT podcast about why "following your passion" is usually very bad career advice. It also talks about how often, people become passionate about something ONLY AFTER many hours/years of effort at learning something. The passion comes AFTER, not BEFORE. Many other interesting details as well:

Why "Follow Your Passion" is Bad Advice with Cal Newport

Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Yep, I wanted to teach high school, was talked out of it, majored in advertising, which was in the journalism department, worked in a hotel as front desk, then banquet manager, got married, worked at a floral wholesaler, moved to California and tried to find a job in advertising -- couldn't (and found out entry level pays PEANUTS), ended up selling furniture, then moved to the office of the furniture store, then went to banking where I was for 13 years (at two places) and sort of enjoyed that and now we own and operate a janitorial company.

In order for jobs -- fired, quit, fired, laid off, quit and we will retire from this business.

None of them are my dream jobs. Follow your passion, money will come later is the STUPIDEST piece of advice ever given.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:48 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
@ Pitt Chick & Gandalara If you would stop posting sucky advice maybe I wouldnt have to post over and over and over again!
Ive told you if you dont like it dont post it Ive seen other people posting the same thing I ignore it. You dont know what its like in my situation so back off!

Not to mention for information AGAIN Pitt Chick like Ive mentioned before I dont remember the password from my other account so I made this account and used this ever since.
Since you are only going to ignore advice, why are you even here?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
@pittchick Who doesnt have drama?

This is really my fault if only in my teenage years and did what I wanted to do and find myself, instead of listening and obeying to my parents like a dog on its leash, and sit when they tell me to sit, and to stop talking when they said stop talking I would probably have some sense in what I want to do and listen to my heart beat instead of listening to other and did what they wanted me to do. But hey you live and you learn.
Looks to me like that's exactly what you're doing right now and it ain't working for you.

And quit blaming it on your damn religion or your parents. You are the one making these decisions all on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance