Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:41 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,024,295 times

Advertisements

We have a family friend (but he calls us his family) who is single, very wealthy and only has 1 sister and I believe 1 other kin (a niece, although there could be others, but I know of 1 for sure).

I don't expect it and have no reason to, but I wouldn't be shocked if he had something in his will or estate planning providing something for our family. Maybe kids college or something like that but again, not expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 09:43 AM

18,670 posts, read 33,286,569 times
I never got anything from anyone. As a single person with no offspring, I have listed my inheritors as several charities and one animal shelter that will take whatever dogs I send them for life. I have never seen the need to round up some distant blood relative, whether you have close ones or not. Why not send your hairdresser's kid to college, or the cleaning people get a real surprise treat? If you have substantial assets, set up a foundation or a scholarship or something. I have never understood trying to find some distant cousin when there are so many choices for your hard-earned assets.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:44 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,375,282 times
Other than a couple small inheritances from grandparents, I've never gotten any inheritance from anyone, which is OK by me.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:34 AM

23,563 posts, read 70,158,065 times
When I read this thread, I keep thinking of Downton Abbey...

Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 PM

3,890 posts, read 6,803,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I inherited from my sister, although her 2 kids got the bulk of it.
My niece is the executor of my trust and the sole beneficiary; with explicit instructions that my nephew get nothing.
I am just curious, why?

I have never received any inheritance but I am young (26) and haven't witnessed any deaths of family members who are close. I am very very fortunate that I haven't though. It scares me to think about who might be the first. My mom did get $70K from my great grandfather (her grandfather). They were super wealthy when they died, $3million. They gave $1million to the church, another $500K to my grandfathers college and the remaining $1.5million was split across the family with their two kids getting $500K each and the grandkids getting the remaining $500K which turned out to be $70K each.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:02 PM

658 posts, read 845,852 times
Being that I have stronger bonds with my friend's families over my own, I have added some of them as my beneficiaries. They don't know though.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:30 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,396,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara
I inherited from my sister, although her 2 kids got the bulk of it.
My niece is the executor of my trust and the sole beneficiary; with explicit instructions that my nephew get nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I am just curious, why?
Honest question, I'll type the first thing that popped into my head.

Because he's an idiot and I've never liked him.
He's the major mess-up in our family. Makes bad personal choices and bad financial choices in his life, then whines and blames everyone else. Nothing is ever his fault.
Because I vehemently disagree with what he did with the inheritance from his Mom.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,056,304 times
Our father died, very suddenly, while he was in the process of giving $50,000 worth of land to a close family friend (almost like another son) to build a house. My siblings and I followed though and gave him the land as our father would have done if he would have been alive.

I had a aunt, that had never married, who divided her small estate between her siblings and a close family friend.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:18 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,404,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Honest question, I'll type the first thing that popped into my head.

Because he's an idiot and I've never liked him.
He's the major mess-up in our family. Makes bad personal choices and bad financial choices in his life, then whines and blames everyone else. Nothing is ever his fault.
Because I vehemently disagree with what he did with the inheritance from his Mom.
You did the right thing. There's no reason an idiot should get anything simply because he's related by blood. It's sad to disinherit a family member but sometimes it's necessary.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:56 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,590,551 times
Yes it has happened to me. No blood relation, just good friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance