U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 08:41 AM

1,917 posts, read 6,304,971 times

Advertisements

I recently have been looking to up my credit score and have seen many ads for credit repair agencies (Lexington Law, etc). Anybody have any thing to say about that? Can they legally remove negative items?

I spoke to a mortgage guy and a realtor and both said to get one b/c it would help improve my score. Most of my negatives are from past medical collections bills (bad, bad health issues in the past). I am not planning on purchasing anything on credit for the next two years ( a home). But I want to get the best rate possible. Any ideas would be most helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 08:53 AM

4,541 posts, read 9,496,950 times
Anything I have read or seen on the news regarding agencies that "repair" credit has always been a scam. There is not way to take off negatives. You either work something out with the creditor and start paying which should slowly help your score, or wait for negatives to drop off.
There is nothing those agencies will do that you can't do on your own. You've got two years to try and get the score up. Call the creditors and see what kinds of deals you can strike.
If there is anything on your credit that is incorrect, just report it to the credit reporting agency and they will do the research.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/repair.shtm (broken link)

Old 12-20-2007, 09:33 AM

2,584 posts, read 9,361,364 times
Don't use them.

1) great link in the previous post

2) if there is a debt issue then a legitamte not-for-profit like Consumer Credit Counseling may be an ok last resort.

3) if there is not a current debt issue, but there are some old collection items on file - what about going back and rectifying those situations - pay what you owe. Once you do that you can then add a comment to your credit bureau that is to append to your credit report. May not specifically help the score, but will make you whole and show you did the right thing.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:53 PM

Got it. Thanks guys. I was just curious b/c not only myself, but some coworkers were curious...
We'll just do it ourselves. However, someone told me not to go with CCCCS b/c they just charge you a fee to negotiate with creditors when you can also do it yourself.

I think I will just start doing it myself.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:59 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,410,367 times
I have to admit when I saw the threat title I said "uh oh the posts should be interesting"
I was so excited to see the great responses
I shall have to "bestow the gold stars" upon you all .

As the others have said run from them . I bet we will still see 1 or 2 posts saying yeah go for it

this is how they work .
The use the dispute process and look for "loopholes"
where the charges billed correctly
Has the statue of limitations run out
Was the application signed
these kind of things, if you "push" them they will admit that they can not remove legitimate past due entries only time will do that.

CCCS is a great organization that is part of United Way the fee is a sliding one based on income. I am not sure how they handle medical past dues.
I really enjoy the game of calling creditors to lower interest rates and have done it for many friends, but those that may not be comfortable or have the time, because it can be a process to get the right dept, might want to CCCS.

CTR how long ago are the medical bills from ?

Old 12-21-2007, 08:56 AM

The medical bills are from 2005 thru 2006

Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 AM

Still have a way before the statue of limitations expires.
If you can get them paid in the next 9 months that will give you time to show solid credit activity before you start the home buying process.

You did something I highly recommend to anyone looking to buy a house, find out your credit status in case you have any issues that need to be addressed

Old 12-21-2007, 11:17 AM

74 posts, read 265,981 times
I would be very careful about using a Consumer Credit Counseling agency (including not-for-profit ones). I have read that the fact that you are using such an agency is listed on your credit report and that in and of itself can lower your score. Not sure if that is the case with all agencies, but it is worth thoroughly investigating if your goal is to raise your score. You might be better served working on the credit issues yourself.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:16 PM

Yes it will show that you are under a CCCS program , but when you have finished the program it is removed.
I agree if the creditors will work with you it is the best way to go

Old 12-21-2007, 01:51 PM

10,833 posts, read 11,568,485 times
A few years back I used bradleyrosslaw.com. They were legit and got quite a few things taken off. The only thing people don't realize is that they can easily fix their own credit with a little patience and knowledge.

Head over to creditboars.com. Thats a great resource and it will get you on track to clean credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance