Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:55 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,305,303 times

Advertisements

It's not worth disputing such a small amount, at least to me it's not, but if it is to you, then I'm sure management would clear it up by bringing to to their attention. If not, stop patronizing the establishment and take the dispute to your bank. Personally, I find it VERY difficult to believe that any waitress could "innocently" mistake $1.50 tip for an $11.50 tip on a bill that's only $6.95!

Bottom line - don't use debit/credit at resturaunts where the server takes your card out of view. It's one of the biggest sources of fraud and identity theft going. If I owned a resturaunt, I'd invest in a "pay at table" system where the bill, including the tip, is processed at the table, and you leave with the final receipt in hand, with no excuse for so called "innocent" overcharges.

Good luck getting it cleared up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 01:58 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
not for this amount...they will just credit the amount and leave it be.

Think about the labor cost involved to investigate one of these disputes?

From a business prospective...easier for the bank to just write it off.

I once challenge a McDonald's charge of $45 (should have been $4.50) and that's how Wells Fargo handled it. No contact made to the place and just a simple reversal of charges.

I can't imagine them (the bank) launching of a huge investigation into a recovery of $10.
There's not usually a whole lot of labor involved in these types of disputes. The contact would be in the form of a charge back to the business. It's my understanding that most of this is automated now though.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:59 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Take your receipt and your CC statement to the restaurant.
Manager should fix it, if he/she wants your return business.
It didn't sound like he has the receipt. That would make it easy, not so much without it. OP, didn't you total it and write the total at the bottom before you signed it? I don't know how $11 could look like $18, and it doesn't sound easy for anyone to change a 1 into an 8 (it would make more sense to change it to 7 or 9, not 8), nor a 0 into a 5. That makes even less sense than changing 1 into 8, adding 50 cents when leaving it 00 would look much more real, so personally I don't think it was altered. If it was misread, it wouldn't have been the waitress, it would have been the cashier who entered it into the system. Without anything but your word that all you had was french toast (if you don't have the receipt) I wouldn't bother trying. I wouldn't go in and accuse anyone outright either way, especially as again to me it makes no sense to pick 8 to change a 1 into out of all the numbers she could have used that begin with straight lines..

Old 07-27-2014, 02:02 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I think what everyone is missing so far is that it's pretty obvious that the OP doesn't have his receipt. And without a receipt of any kind, it is going to pretty difficult to dispute a charge. All he has is his memory of what he thinks the charge should have been.

Good luck with that one.
Have you ever disputed something before? Normally, the business keeps a copy of the receipt and would furnish that receipt to the bank. Keeping your receipt does help, but is unnecessary, especially since most people only fill out the server copy.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:13 PM

846 posts, read 1,881,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
There's not usually a whole lot of labor involved in these types of disputes. The contact would be in the form of a charge back to the business. It's my understanding that most of this is automated now though.
here's a good article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/26/yo...pagewanted=all

"The true cost per dispute to the banks of all of this back and forth ranges from $10 to $40, according to a 2010 estimate by the consultants at First Annapolis. Given that cost, according to Scott Reaser, a principal there, many banks will simply absorb the disputed charge on a consumer’s bill and never contact the merchant if it is below a certain threshold."

this is what I've found to be true as well.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:50 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Have you ever disputed something before? Normally, the business keeps a copy of the receipt and would furnish that receipt to the bank.
That means absolutely nothing if the receipt was altered.

Quote:
Keeping your receipt does help, but is unnecessary, especially since most people only fill out the server copy.
Really? And you know this how?

I, for one, have never not filled out both copies.

I also keep all my receipts and check them off one by one when the cc bill comes in, so I would never be in the position that the OP finds himself in, wondering what happened and not having any proof if an establishment had altered a receipt.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:41 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
The OP made two mistakes... using debit and not having a receipt.

Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:44 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I think what everyone is missing so far is that it's pretty obvious that the OP doesn't have his receipt. And without a receipt of any kind, it is going to pretty difficult to dispute a charge. All he has is his memory of what he thinks the charge should have been.

Good luck with that one.
Missed that. Oops.

I'd get a copy. Somehow, someway. I know I can always get a copy of a credit card charge ... don't know about debit card charges.
And I always keep my receipts until the statement comes in.
It's not about getting the $10 back - It's the fact I'd want the manager to know.
But that's me.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Missed that. Oops.

I'd get a copy. Somehow, someway. I know I can always get a copy of a credit card charge ... don't know about debit card charges.
And I always keep my receipts until the statement comes in.
It's not about getting the $10 back - It's the fact I'd want the manager to know.
But that's me.
I still find altering hard to believe. Take a pen and change $11.00 into something that will give you a better tip....would you choose to make it $18.50? Or would you make it $17 or $19 even? A "1" changed into an "8" would be too obviously altered, as would changing a zero to a five, while changing it to 17 or 19 wouldn't be noticed. So why would anyone choose $18.50? Again it is possible the writing wasn't neat and the cashier mis-entered it, but I just wouldn't go in accusing the waitress when OP really has no idea what happened.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:21 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,018,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It didn't sound like he has the receipt. That would make it easy, not so much without it. OP, didn't you total it and write the total at the bottom before you signed it? I don't know how $11 could look like $18, and it doesn't sound easy for anyone to change a 1 into an 8 (it would make more sense to change it to 7 or 9, not 8), nor a 0 into a 5. That makes even less sense than changing 1 into 8, adding 50 cents when leaving it 00 would look much more real, so personally I don't think it was altered. If it was misread, it wouldn't have been the waitress, it would have been the cashier who entered it into the system. Without anything but your word that all you had was french toast (if you don't have the receipt) I wouldn't bother trying. I wouldn't go in and accuse anyone outright either way, especially as again to me it makes no sense to pick 8 to change a 1 into out of all the numbers she could have used that begin with straight lines..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I still find altering hard to believe. Take a pen and change $11.00 into something that will give you a better tip....would you choose to make it $18.50? Or would you make it $17 or $19 even? A "1" changed into an "8" would be too obviously altered, as would changing a zero to a five, while changing it to 17 or 19 wouldn't be noticed. So why would anyone choose $18.50? Again it is possible the writing wasn't neat and the cashier mis-entered it, but I just wouldn't go in accusing the waitress when OP really has no idea what happened.
That's the second time that you've written basically the same thing and it stems from an obvious misinterpretation of what the OP wrote. What he was saying is that he left a 1.50 tip and that he believes that the waitress either added an addition "1" to make it read 11.50, or, that she or the cashier misread the tip as 11.50 rather than 1.50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance