Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 AM

38 posts, read 89,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
Come on now, try to keep up.
With who, Mr. Jones?

You know I got the same investment advice from two boomers getting ready to retire. After 6 months they crawled back to their old jobs.

When you start frying bigger fish, you stop playing the little "borrow to invest" games on appliances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 08:32 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
You are not financing over 100%, it is essetially reducing the amount of the trade in applied towards the new car purchase. I've never done it, but don't see why you could not ask for cash back.

For example, new car is $25K, trade is say $15K. Put $10K of the trade towards the new car as a down payment and get $5K cash back. Finance $15K at a cheap rate and you are getting the additional $5K loan at a cheap rate, maybe even zero.
One problem I see is that the delaer isn't actually giving you what he's showing you on the trade. In other words, in the scenario you laid out, on the books the dealer is probably only giving $12K for the trade toward a $22K purchase. The additional $3K is fluff that's built in to the price because people like to see a big allowance for their trade.

Which doesn't mean it couldn't be done, but you have to realize that you're not really getting what you think you're getting so you may not be able to pull out as much as you think you should be able to.

A person would be better off selling their car for $13K private party and buying the car outright for $22K. But I get that some people don't want to deal with that.

Old 07-30-2014, 10:27 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outerinnerlooper View Post
I'm curious if anyone has ever had a dealer give them cash back while trading in a vehicle on the purchase of a new car. I wanted to trade in my SUV and borrow more than the difference with the new vehicle price to take advantage of the cheap financing.

Long story short the salesman said that was fine, then the finance department tried to give me the run around. I figured this was a pretty common request so I wanted to see what everyone thought. I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks,

new to the forum
It depends on the dealer, on your credit, and on your negotiating skills!

Old 10-30-2014, 07:06 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Short answer: Yes. I've done it and and used the cash back to pay of higher interest and taken subsidized rate from manufacturer or credit union.

The finance department didn't want you to do it because it lowers the amount you financed and they get paid on that.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:27 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
Better yet, don't trade the vehicle in, take it to CarMax and get more than the dealer would offer and put down as much of it that you want to.
I just purchased a new car last month. Dealer offered me $5k, CarMax offered me $6k, and I sold it privately for $8k. If you want to be smart with your money, be smart with your money..!

Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I'd bring up that if the vehicle happens to be totalled in the near future, and insurance pays you a depreciated amount, you still might be on the hook making payments on the difference because of the extra money financed.

You basically build negative equity in from the start.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:29 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I did that once in my younger, less fluid days (1990). Traded in a paid off vehicle for $10k, took $7k of it in a check to pay off my wife's car, the rest down on a new one for $25k. The new loan was a lower interest rate so we
had only the one loan for though a higher payment amount but a nice new car and the other paid off.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:11 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
One problem I see is that the delaer isn't actually giving you what he's showing you on the trade. In other words, in the scenario you laid out, on the books the dealer is probably only giving $12K for the trade toward a $22K purchase. The additional $3K is fluff that's built in to the price because people like to see a big allowance for their trade.

Which doesn't mean it couldn't be done, but you have to realize that you're not really getting what you think you're getting so you may not be able to pull out as much as you think you should be able to.

A person would be better off selling their car for $13K private party and buying the car outright for $22K. But I get that some people don't want to deal with that.
In some states the sales tax on the vehicle you purchase is reduced by the taxable value of your trade-in. This money is lost if you sell outright. Also, if you want to find out how much your trade is REALLY worth, negotiate price FIRST, then bring in your trade-in.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:18 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
In some states the sales tax on the vehicle you purchase is reduced by the taxable value of your trade-in. This money is lost if you sell outright.
Is paying sales tax really the only thing to be considered?

Let's say the sales tax rate is 6% (pretty typical).

If the dealer shows you $15K toward a $25K purchase price you will pay sales tax on $10K, or $600, for a total cash outlay of $10,600.

If you can buy the car outright for $22K you will pay sales tax on the full amount, or $1320. So you do pay more in sales tax. But, if you can sell your old car in a private-party sale for $15K your total cash outlay will be just $8,320 ($22K+$1,320-$15K).

To me it makes more sense to spend less total that to worry solely about how much you will pay in sales tax, but that's just me.

Quote:
Also, if you want to find out how much your trade is REALLY worth, negotiate price FIRST, then bring in your trade-in.
This is correct. Some people will tell you that you will get a better deal by doing this, but all the dealer does in this case is take the extra "fluff" that they generally add to both sides of the deal off the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance