Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 01:58 PM

493 posts, read 980,261 times

Advertisements

Long overdue, but I am finally able to really start building up an emergency fund (and retirement fund) and I was trying to figure out the best way to do this. I know emergency funds aren't really meant to be money makers, but at the same time I don't really want to miss out extra interest if I can get it, so I was thinking of doing the following:

Start by making monthly deposits into my savings account (0.10% APY)

Once I have $3,000 set aside, I'd open up a 3 month CD (0.36% APY) with $1000, then one month later open a second one, and one month later open up a 3rd.

I would continue opening a 3 month CD each month, and when the CDs matured, I'd double their maturity length. So, on month 4 I'd create a new 3 month CD, and the matured CD would become a 6 month CD.

Assuming an emergency fund of around $36,000, I could have 12 $3,000, 1 year CDs with a maturity date each month and an interest rate of 0.71% compared to the 0.10% of standard savings. This way, I figure my emergency fund can be fairly liquid since a CD matures each month.

One risk I see is that if I have 6 months worth of expenses spread across 12 months worth of CDs, if the worst should come to pass I'd only get half a month worth of my expenses covered when the CD matures, but since we are a 2 income family, I'm hedging that bet against the odds that we would both lose our jobs at the same time. As long as one of us is still working, that person's income can offset the difference between expenses and the CDs funds.

I also plan on having other accounts available (brokerage (semi-liquid) and Roth IRA (not liquid) for retirement, and a savings account for vacations) which I'd be able to leverage in a worst-case scenario.

Long story short, is staggering CDs like I am considering even remotely worth it? I am starting saving with pretty much nothing set aside at all aside from a few thousand in a brokerage account, but I'm estimating being able to put aside around $1,500-$2,000 each month across emergency funds, Roth IRA, and a vacation account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 02:06 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
If you can get .71% for CDs, go for it!

I am in the process of not renewing my staggered CDs as the interest rates here are not as good as yours...

Old 07-29-2014, 02:08 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
This seems very complicated when you could just open a high-interest savings account with an internet-only bank. Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct) has an Orange savings account with a 0.75% APY return and you would have access to all of your funds at all times. It can be linked to your physical checking account (deposits and withdrawals done electronically through ACH transactions) or you could even move your checking account to an internet bank like Capital One 360.

We've used a internet-only bank for >10 years and have never looked back. We can still write physical checks, have ATM access, and can make deposits with our smartphone.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:25 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus1ander View Post
This seems very complicated when you could just open a high-interest savings account with an internet-only bank. Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct) has an Orange savings account with a 0.75% APY return and you would have access to all of your funds at all times. It can be linked to your physical checking account (deposits and withdrawals done electronically through ACH transactions) or you could even move your checking account to an internet bank like Capital One 360.

We've used a internet-only bank for >10 years and have never looked back. We can still write physical checks, have ATM access, and can make deposits with our smartphone.

I second the high yield savings. American Express savings is at 85 bps, citbank 90-95bps

If your CDs are less than that don't buy them

Old 07-29-2014, 02:26 PM

I'd be using USAA (which would also give me a discount on my home owners and auto insurance) but those rates are really tempting. I've had bad experiences in the past with Capital One, so I probably wouldn't use them, but it looks like Synchrony Bank has an even more impressive 0.96% rate. Better interest rate and more liquid access, and I can setup my vacation fund in USAA to still get the insurance discount.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:35 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
Why not just start putting the money into the 1 year CDs at the highest interest rate and be done with it? Are the shorter term CD really that much more than savings to make the laddering/staggering worth the time? You mentioned working full time/2 income household, time must be at a premium...

Old 07-29-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Why not just start putting the money into the 1 year CDs at the highest interest rate and be done with it? Are the shorter term CD really that much more than savings to make the laddering/staggering worth the time? You mentioned working full time/2 income household, time must be at a premium...
Since it was an emergency fund I wanted more liquid access. Depositing the money into a 12 month CD up front would mean I couldn't access it (at least not penalty free) for a year.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:53 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awestover89 View Post
Since it was an emergency fund I wanted more liquid access. Depositing the money into a 12 month CD up front would mean I couldn't access it (at least not penalty free) for a year.
The penalty is so low it is pretty much a non-factor.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:09 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,500,566 times
Quote:
If you want liquid, keep it liquid. If you want to invest, invest. Where CDs are right now for rates, they do neither well.

Seems to be the natural choice is an online money market account at .75-.85% (Ally). I don't know why you'd bother wrangling CDs when this option is available.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:22 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
Quote:
I'd be using USAA (which would also give me a discount on my home owners and auto insurance) but those rates are really tempting. I've had bad experiences in the past with Capital One, so I probably wouldn't use them, but it looks like Synchrony Bank has an even more impressive 0.96% rate. Better interest rate and more liquid access, and I can setup my vacation fund in USAA to still get the insurance discount.
Thats exactly what I would do in your situation. Keep accounts in multiple places to take advantage of other discounts. Your primary savings account does not need to be with USAA. This is what we do--we have a brick-and-mortar checking account (for discounts on our safety deposit box and discounts on closing costs when we refinanced) and keep the majority of our liquid cash in an internet-only bank. When we do need to transfer money from the internet-only option, it shows up in our checking account within 48 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance