Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 08:48 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Well, I could see where $10 might be reasonable for 15-20 minutes of work. But it's usually been closer to 15-20 seconds in my experience.

There is risk involved to being a notary and if don't see why anyone would do it for free. I can see why the service may be offered to current customers as a benefit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 03:07 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
There are maximum fees set by most states.
When comparing what you and somebody else paid, you do have to do an apple to apple comparison.
How many pages per document? Any other service, like traveling to you?

. The fees are typically capped at $2-$10 per page or $5-$10 per notarial act.
Cost of a Notary Public - Consumer Information and Prices Paid - CostHelper.com

Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
There is risk involved to being a notary and if don't see why anyone would do it for free. I can see why the service may be offered to current customers as a benefit
Most people seeking an independent notary are just needing to have a signature witnessed on a simple document, so it's just a matter of checking their driver's license or otherwise acknowledging that you know the person. If you have any reason to believe the person isn't who he says he is you shouldn't notarize the signature regardless of whether or not you're paid to do so. And if you neglect to use due diligence and get burned, the nominal fee you might have charged won't go far toward offsetting the penalty. More complicated issues are usually handled in the office where the documents are prepared by a staff member.

I certainly wouldn't expect it to be performed free of charge by every notary or in every situation, but people who are considering paying $10 to have something notarized deserve to know that there may be other options available to them.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Well, I could see where $10 might be reasonable for 15-20 minutes of work. But it's usually been closer to 15-20 seconds in my experience.
Superman could not notarize a form in 15-20 seconds. Think before you type. If you have really ever had anything notarized you would know it takes time.
Another expense I failed to mention before is insurance to cover your butt in case of problems. All notaries have to have insurance to cover their services..

Old 08-10-2014, 10:23 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Most people seeking an independent notary are just needing to have a signature witnessed on a simple document, so it's just a matter of checking their driver's license or otherwise acknowledging that you know the person. If you have any reason to believe the person isn't who he says he is you shouldn't notarize the signature regardless of whether or not you're paid to do so. And if you neglect to use due diligence and get burned, the nominal fee you might have charged won't go far toward offsetting the penalty. More complicated issues are usually handled in the office where the documents are prepared by a staff member.

I certainly wouldn't expect it to be performed free of charge by every notary or in every situation, but people who are considering paying $10 to have something notarized deserve to know that there may be other options available to them.

Your post really has nothing to do with what I said. They should charge because they are providing a service and taking on risk no matter how you personally attempt to dismiss or mitigate it. If you don't want to pay 10.00, dont do it

Old 08-10-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your post really has nothing to do with what I said. They should charge because they are providing a service and taking on risk no matter how you personally attempt to dismiss or mitigate it. If you don't want to pay 10.00, dont do it
Well, by the same token your post really has nothing to do with what I've been saying. Maybe they should all charge $10. Maybe they should charge $100 for all I know. My point is that many people may have options available to them to have documents notarized free or for a minimal cost that they may not be aware of.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:20 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
And you called your bank? I have never heard of a bank that wouldn't do this for a customer.
Yep. My bank does it, but AAA is still the only place in my area that does it for free.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:31 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I found out few weeks ago that two of my sister are notarizes. One said she been a notarize for last 10 years of so. Other got her's last year. Was done for the convinces for things in there offices (that live 500 miles apart).

My company has two guys that are notaries, They do notarizes for work stuff, and anyone in the building that needs it also.

The company pays the registration fees & Insurance.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Superman could not notarize a form in 15-20 seconds.
I had no idea Superman was a notary. Thanks for the info!

And I didn't say it took 15-20 seconds; I said "more like 15-20 seconds", meaning closer to 15-20 seconds than 15-20 minutes. A signature witness takes maybe a couple of minutes. Much less if the person knows you and doesn't need to check your ID (not an option in CA).

Quote:
If you have really ever had anything notarized you would know it takes time.
I've had a couple of hundred documents notarized. And I know it takes time. But not very much time, unless it's an acknowledgement of a large or complex document because in these cases the notary has to verify that everything is complete. It's pretty rare for an individual to have to search out his own notary for something like this, though, and many "storefront" notaries won't touch them.

Quote:
Another expense I failed to mention before is insurance to cover your butt in case of problems. All notaries have to have insurance to cover their services..
Most states require notaries to purchase a surety bond to protect the signer in the event of fraud on the part of the notary. They generally run $50-$150/year unless the notary's credit sucks. E&O insurance to cover mistakes by the notary generally isn't required. Premiums are dirt cheap because these policies hardly ever pay out for notaries(I work with E&O).

Old 08-11-2014, 02:50 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
I had no idea Superman was a notary. Thanks for the info!

And I didn't say it took 15-20 seconds; I said "more like 15-20 seconds", meaning closer to 15-20 seconds than 15-20 minutes. A signature witness takes maybe a couple of minutes. Much less if the person knows you and doesn't need to check your ID (not an option in CA).

I've had a couple of hundred documents notarized. And I know it takes time. But not very much time, unless it's an acknowledgement of a large or complex document because in these cases the notary has to verify that everything is complete. It's pretty rare for an individual to have to search out his own notary for something like this, though, and many "storefront" notaries won't touch them.

Most states require notaries to purchase a surety bond to protect the signer in the event of fraud on the part of the notary. They generally run $50-$150/year unless the notary's credit sucks. E&O insurance to cover mistakes by the notary generally isn't required. Premiums are dirt cheap because these policies hardly ever pay out for notaries(I work with E&O).
That's the good thing about America, you are allowed your opinion no matter how wrong and foolish you appear.. but keep trying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance