Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

If you have filed for bankruptcy or would have to, how would you feel about yourself? Let's assume that it was through no fault of your own - medical debt, a job loss you had no control over, etc. Would you feel less of a person for it? An obligation to try to pay some back? Or would you just walk away and start over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 11:09 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
I cannot fathom a scenario where I would avoid eliminating the debts I created and agreed to repay.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
I filed bankruptcy twelve years ago when I was going through a nasty divorce. I felt like a failure and a loser.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:00 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I cannot fathom a scenario where I would avoid eliminating the debts I created and agreed to repay.
There is a world of difference between just going wide open on the credit cards and someone who is filing a bankruptcy for medical reasons and cannot work again.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:11 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There is a world of difference between just going wide open on the credit cards and someone who is filing a bankruptcy for medical reasons and cannot work again.

Ummm... yeah. I did not say otherwise.
Why are you thinking I don't know that?

Old 08-25-2014, 01:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I suppose it would depend on how I got to that point.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:25 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
There is and there isn't.

I have medical insurance and private disability insurance. There are ways to protect yourself from bankruptcy from medical bills and disability. Most people just choose not to since they'd rather spend the money on designer jeans, eating out, going to concerts, having a larger house, driving a fancier car, or whatever they choose to spend their money on. It's more about the degree than anything else. It's less responsible to run up the credit cards, but it's also irresponsible to not have adequate insurance. It's pretty irresponsible to not ensure your financial well-being because you'd rather drive a nicer car, wear more expensive clothes, and be seen at trendy restaurants, especially if you have dependents.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:36 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
There is and there isn't.

I have medical insurance and private disability insurance. There are ways to protect yourself from bankruptcy from medical bills and disability. Most people just choose not to since they'd rather spend the money on designer jeans, eating out, going to concerts, having a larger house, driving a fancier car, or whatever they choose to spend their money on. It's more about the degree than anything else. It's less responsible to run up the credit cards, but it's also irresponsible to not have adequate insurance. It's pretty irresponsible to not ensure your financial well-being because you'd rather drive a nicer car, wear more expensive clothes, and be seen at trendy restaurants, especially if you have dependents.
You cannot insure against everything; I will give four examples of six-figure catastrophes that can bankrupt even a financially responsible middle-class family.

1. Acute necrotizing periodontitis. Ordinary health insurance doesn't cover it, and dental insurance caps out at $1,000 or $2,000.

The cost of a full mouth of dental implants can be as high as $100,000. And this doesn't include lost income from surgery or rehabilitation.

2. A special-needs child. Many middle-class families are bankrupted due to a combination of expenses not covered by regular medical insurance, and having to take care (either hiring someone to do it or giving up income to do it yourself). SSDI checks are very meager and Medicaid forces you to deplete your assets before it kicks in. Full time care may cost more than $60,000 per year, which over the course of a decade would amount to $600,000. Once you have no emergency fund left, you are one job loss away from bankruptcy and homelessness.

3. The uninsured loss or massive depreciation of a mortgaged property. Homeowner's insurance coverage typically has some really nasty exclusions such as floods or earthquake losses. This can result in having a large mortgage without the house - so you either have to pay two mortgages or pay both a mortgage and rent. A similar situation can happen with eminent domain on a deeply underwater property, or other forced sales such as a condo complex which will be demolished.

Florida condo owners forced to sell? - MSN Real Estate

One of the article's examples has a loss in excess of $225,000!

See what happened to one Florida man:

Condo owners losing homes as investors buy up Florida complexes

He's now $110,000 in mortgage debt and still has to pay rent to live there!

4. Frivolous lawsuits and extended divorce fights resulting in unfair claims. High alimony or child support makes it impossible to re-save an emergency fund after legal fees deplete pre-existing savings. Lost income resulting from court time during work hours can easily push one over the edge.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,403,693 times
I would not feel bad about it at all. The only thing that would bother me is the lower credit score.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:13 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
I would feel really awful if my life was so bad that my only option was to file bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance