Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:50 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
MMM is full of it... like dave ramsey... I trust the truth.... like this person My 2nd Annual Passive Income Report – 2 Years Later

He reports 98k made last month.... but I'm thinking that might be high.

I make money online and do VERY well.... and I'm not on MMM level... no place near. If I was, I'd not have another job.

Thing is I think MMM found the "con" that works for him and he will ride it out. It does not pass the smell test for many because, well, it doesn't. No biggie... fans will defend to the end. End of the day it does not matter... if he/she helps people, that is mostly what matters.
I knew someone would say this. It just goes to show you haven't bothered to read the blog and all (or maybe very little) and instead have decided to dismiss what has been said out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_DC View Post
.. what is the issue?
The issue is many of us is we don't find the short term fun that can be had by spending to be liberating if it's done in the context of being dependent on paid employment for many more years than necessary. We want the flexibility and freedom afforded by real liberation as soon as possible and won't be pacified along the way by pseudo-liberating distractions.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:00 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Wrong. You would be wrong. MMM tracks his spending relentlessly. He posts his annual spending every year on his blog. He spend about 25K - 27K per year for a family of 3 in Colorado (house is paid for).
Is it possible that he isn't truthful? In that his job is to run the blog and make money there and his income and spending is more than he post about?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Is it possible that he isn't truthful? In that his job is to run the blog and make money there and his income and spending is more than he post about?
I knew you would say that. I can't prove he's being truthful. But you can't prove he's lying. IMO, I think you view his way of life as a threat because he's going against the herd to a degree you can't conceive of.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:08 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
If you read his blog, you'll see that he is careful not to drive much in terms of mileage, and he lives in an area with very low property taxes and owns the house outright. So the two biggest expenses most households have, housing and transportation, are extremely low for that family.

Because he retired early, I also assume he can "in-source" a lot of things people usually pay others to do, like cooking, house maintenance, etc.

So I don't think it's entirely implausible that they have costs that low, just unusual.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:10 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Of course it is possible that he is simply lying. I'm not sure what the purpose would be, but people do all sorts of strange things, don't they?

However, the forums on the site are FULL of people who are following his advice and achieving financial independence far younger than age 65.

I'm also not certain how he would be monetizing his blog. There are no marketing ads, he is not selling any products, registration for the forums is free. What other way is there to make money from a blog? He could sell it I suppose, a la J.D. Roth.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I knew you would say that. I can't prove he's being truthful. But you can't prove he's lying. IMO, I think you view his way of life as a threat because he's going against the herd to a degree you can't conceive of.

How would you know I was going to say what I did? Seems rather strange becuase I haven't questioned him before. Those who follow him as you do and promote him often could be blinded that while the scenario is possible and his advice can and does help people meet extrodianry goals that he might not be 100% honest. It's not really a negative, I share his site and story often as well but I wouldn't be shocked if he was indeed making and spending more than he claims

Old 10-02-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Of course it is possible that he is simply lying. I'm not sure what the purpose would be, but people do all sorts of strange things, don't they?

However, the forums on the site are FULL of people who are following his advice and achieving financial independence far younger than age 65.

I'm also not certain how he would be monetizing his blog. There are no marketing ads, he is not selling any products, registration for the forums is free. What other way is there to make money from a blog? He could sell it I suppose, a la J.D. Roth.

I just went to the home page and there is an ad for Allstate. The google stats show 6.1mm page views in a month 1.35mm visits, 546k unique visitors with over 1mm of the visits coming in the US. There certainly is money to be made from that and possible recommendations

Old 10-02-2014, 12:42 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
I just went to the home page and there is an ad for Allstate. The google stats show 6.1mm page views in a month 1.35mm visits, 546k unique visitors with over 1mm of the visits coming in the US. There certainly is money to be made from that and possible recommendations
You're right. I just went and I saw an ad for Roseville Kia. It's way at the bottom, I'd never noticed it before.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:50 PM

574 posts, read 696,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
You're right. I just went and I saw an ad for Roseville Kia. It's way at the bottom, I'd never noticed it before.
Here's his post on ads on the blog.

Quote:
So there you have it – my explanation for the ad box that is down in the corner. I promise to keep you updated on any results, and if it does earn any money, I will spend it solely on helping the Earth.. since it would be inappropriate for a man who rails on his countrymen for destroying the Earth with excessive consumption, to profit from that ranting and turn around and use it to buy more unnecessary manufactured luxury products.
Here's his post on MMM vs Dave Ramsey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance