Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 11:36 PM

822 posts, read 2,202,911 times

Advertisements

Hello my fellow CD peeps. I hope that today is going good for you. I have a question for some of you real estate people who are more experienced than myself. My wife and I are in the process of buying our first home. We will have a 30 yr FHA loan. The mortgage insurance is going to run us around a good $200 extra a month. I know that unless you refinance the home you never get rid of the PMI. Does anyone know of average amount of time, payments, etc... that are required before you can refinance the home in order to get rid of the PMI? Thank you for any good info you can give me and have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 05:54 AM

846 posts, read 1,881,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Hello my fellow CD peeps. I hope that today is going good for you. I have a question for some of you real estate people who are more experienced than myself. My wife and I are in the process of buying our first home. We will have a 30 yr FHA loan. The mortgage insurance is going to run us around a good $200 extra a month. I know that unless you refinance the home you never get rid of the PMI. Does anyone know of average amount of time, payments, etc... that are required before you can refinance the home in order to get rid of the PMI? Thank you for any good info you can give me and have a good day.
that's a pretty loaded question because the actual time is unknown (because of appreciation, what kind of deal you've found, what kind of work or improvements you've done).

Mathematically it will take about 120 months or 10 years providing you don't refinance, you don't pay extra, and you pay on time.

GLTY.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 AM

870 posts, read 2,110,052 times
Quote:
The general rule is that you have to have ~20% equity in the house to get a loan without private mortgage insurance (PMI). With PMI, you can usually request cancellation as soon as the loan-to-original value (LTV) reaches 80% and the company is usually required to cancel it once LTV hits 78%. With FHA, as you are aware, mortgage insurance premiums (MIP) are currently for the life of the loan (until you pay it off or refinance).

So, you can look at a mortgage amortization schedule to figure out when you would hit 80% LTV. However, as midwestlaxer indicated, this is usually a very extended period of time for a 30 year mortgage. However, that time could come much sooner thanks to appreciation in the housing stock. Even 1-2% appreciation per year can make a big difference in when you hit the 80% LTV level and therefore can refinance without the MIP. If you lived in an area that was quickly appreciating, theoretically you could refinance in just a few months and get rid of the MIP.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:01 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,800,191 times
Quote:
If you are considering FHAm consider an FHA ARM so you can build equity faster, otherwise consider saving more money so you can go with a conventional loan with PMI. The cost of PMI is usually less then the FHA MIP.

If you need to get into the house now, FHA might be the only option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance