Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:28 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times

Advertisements

A while ago, I bought a car paying cash for all but $4k. Took out a loan with the intention of paying it off once some money transfers settled, but then found out I could borrow at 2%(lower than my mortgage rate). So I took out the most I could and paid down my mortgage instead (along with a re-cast to reduce my monthly payment accordingly)

I also took advantage of a 0% offer CC offer and currently have a few large purchases on that card.

I now have the following:
  • $15k Car Loan @ 2% over 4 years
  • $6k CC @ 0% (until February 2015 with the option of taking a Chase Slate 0% transfer to push it out another year)
  • $186k Mortgage @ 3.625%

The only thing I'm debating these days is what to throw extra money at.

I don't think I'd accelerate the mortgage because technically the Car Loan is just an accelerated payment schedule for a portion of my mortgage, so paying that down is essentially paying down my Mortgage.

Between the Car Loan and the CC, the car loan currently costs me 2%/year in interest, so normally I'd focus on that, but the CC debt has a very real cliff because if I don't pay before the 0%, it jumps to CC rate.

So which would you pay off first? The 0% for 18 months debt, or the 2% debt?

Also, I'm coming pretty close to maxing my 401(k) contribution and have enough invested at the moment to the point where I don't want to try and beat the spread in the market, this is what to do with money that won't be invested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
I'd pay off the credit card, because I would just want to be done with it. The fewer things I have to juggle, the more I like it.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:38 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
The generally recognized principle is to pay off the balances with the highest interest rate. However in your case youll never pay off that mortgage or car loan before that 0% interest rate expires.(unless you've got like 5k a month to throw at it) So obviously pay that off first, then work on your car. Your mortgage actually gives you good credit as long as youre paying on time. Ironically its seen as "good debt" even though it seems like such a high amount.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:55 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Probably the mortgage, although with the tax shield they're very close.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
If you don't pay off the 0% by the end of the time frame, they often charge the interest retroactively, so you'd have to transfer to another 0% card, but there will be a balance transfer fee. That being the case, I'd pay off the credit card first.

After that, I'd invest the money instead of paying anything down. But you've said you didn't want to do that, so after that, it'd be pretty close to a wash whether to go for the car, or the mortgage, assuming you itemize, so get the benefit from the mortgage interest, the interest rates would be pretty close. I'd probably pay down the car faster to make it go away, even if the interest rate was still effectively just a little less.

I assume you already have a sufficient emergency fund. If not, save up for that before doing any of the rest.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:21 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Why do I feel like you are making this harder than it should be?

In my simplified world I would pay the CC, then the car and finally, invest/pay off the house. But also in my simplified world I never carry a CC balance past statement date, nor do I get car loans. My investments had (past tense) been out performing my 3.8% mortgage rate so I wasn't keen on throwing my money there.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
Credit Card, Car loan, then the mortgage.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:41 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
If you don't pay off the 0% by the end of the time frame, they often charge the interest retroactively, so you'd have to transfer to another 0% card, but there will be a balance transfer fee. That being the case, I'd pay off the credit card first.

After that, I'd invest the money instead of paying anything down. But you've said you didn't want to do that, so after that, it'd be pretty close to a wash whether to go for the car, or the mortgage, assuming you itemize, so get the benefit from the mortgage interest, the interest rates would be pretty close. I'd probably pay down the car faster to make it go away, even if the interest rate was still effectively just a little less.

I assume you already have a sufficient emergency fund. If not, save up for that before doing any of the rest.

Please find one balance transfer offer which charges deferred interest, just one. Give us the link. Thank you.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:44 AM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times
Quote:
Credit Card, Car loan, then the mortgage.
I agree - credit card, car payment, mortgage principal, in that order.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:01 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,779,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

Actually, the reason I mentioned the slate transfer is that there's no fee for a transfer there. While the initial card is a retail card and is racking up deferred interest, the transfer to the slate card would wipe that out and eliminate that problem entirely. As Petunia 100 pointed out, balance transfers don't come with deferred interest, they're 0% intro offers that change rates at the end. I'm assuming it would probably jump to something like 15%

I am leaning towards the CC, just because of the closer deadline. Just don't like wasting money paying interest, so the ~$300/yr on the Car Loan annoys me. It's better than it would have been if it was still part of my Mortgage though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance