Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 AM

22,249 posts, read 47,174,114 times

Advertisements

" My wife's Insurance went up to $650 due to ObamaCare. How can we budget for this?"

Well, the ONLY way we can answer that is for you to post your income and all expenses....
are you willing to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 09:30 AM

50,115 posts, read 35,769,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
This will be the reality for more and more people as the effects of this law become more widespread. It appears that the architects of this plan did not hop down the bunny trail far enough to see what the real impact would be on the middle class. Insurers have essentially hit the lotto since they now can charge premiums that are 85% of a PPO plan with a high deductible that substantially limits claim exposure from most insured participants.

The only plausible solution is not a short-term one but one that involves a majority of the citizens taking an active role in demanding that their representatives come up with a workable solution for the majority of the citizens. This solution may involve a Medicare for all component along with private supplemental coverage options.

As you have experienced, a failure to address and correct this issue will have a significant negative consequence on those of modest family incomes. Paying 10% or more of gross income for premiums along with high deductibles and a projected 8.5% annual cost growth rate is not a sustainable component in most middle-class family budgets. More and more companies are moving this expense off their books and onto the employees without a commensurate adjustment to wages.
I jus want to say I feel for OP, am in the same situation, my premium is now $601 a month from $399 a month. BUT I also want to clarify, I do not think insurers are just jacking up prices. What they are doing is being forced to get rid of plans that did not mean ACA guidelines. I am paying more now but I also have a much better plan than I did before. The plan I switched to when mine was cancelled was still $600 a month before ACA, I just chose a cheaper one until I had to switch.
They did not raise the price after the ACA went into effect.

I think it's horrible that insurance costs so much and has for years, it's not new that premiums are high. A public option would have helped people like OP, but of course that was unable to even be discussed.

I am lucky I can afford my new payment, because my living expenses are low, I drive a 17 year old car and pay less than $800 a month for rent, and I make good money as well. I feel for those who are going to struggle, but OP as someone who works in healthcare, I have to say if you are struggling financially you would have struggled even more had your wife gotten seriously ill under your old plan.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:34 AM

18,481 posts, read 15,431,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
My wife is paying $179 for her health insurance until the end of this year and then her coverage is going to be cancelled due to Obama Care rules and now for pretty much the same coverage, her premium is going up to $650 a month. (Adding her on my coverage would be even more!)

Before Obamacare she was perfectly happy with her private health insurance and it's reasonable premiums. We make $65K between us, so we are struggling middle class but don't get any federal subsidies.

Yes, we shopped for something cheaper but could not find anything.

Advice?
If you don't have kids, you should be able to afford $650/month on a $65K income - if that's tough, you probably have too much frivolous spending.

If you DO have kids, you should qualify for a subsidy since you're below 400% of federal poverty level.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:37 AM

374 posts, read 489,295 times
I am in the Health field, I have tried to warn many this would happen to be told how wonderful this is. For the poor, prisoners and illegals yes, but they were covered under Medicaid anyway. If we needed to do something for Medicaid, to help a few falling in cracks then do that. To have done this, you will see many uninsured in Middle class, many being taxed for that, turned away for help ( before you couldn't be), now, yes, as it will be a choice ( a choice the clowners pushed through).

You will see many more bankruptcies due to high premiums or many not getting care, as you will need to pay the high co pays first now, as they have them figured out, unlike before you were billed later. You could make payments or go BK. Now you pay first, or don't get, or if emergency pay first or before you are released.

Please spare me, if you are rich or well to do how this saved you as an investor, or self employed etc. If you are poor, spare me you were already covered. If you are illegal, well you could have gone to hospital and most did and walk away with no bill. If you are going to tell me how many who had pre existing couldn't get coverage , then tell me why many have paid premiums this year, to not be covered for heart problems or cancer. Yes it is all true, yes look it up, yes I know. This is a travesty for many, going to hurt more, many middle class won't and aren't covered anymore. Thanks to the you will know what is in the plan when we pass it crew. Now they won't release the new cost premiums until after election in many states, good luck people.

Also please spare me the budget lectures for the middle class. If you are poor, you get almost 50-60,000 in benefits a year. Yes look it up. for those who want responsibility talk to the third generation, way to do it families. The middle class get no subsidies, no rent or food help. Now will have huge premiums when wages are near what they were in 80's with food etc many times more, also don't show me your weird charts of why the Gov. doesn't count food costs, don't care. I care many will need help, medical help and won't be able to afford it, when we were already covering those people. Do you people honestly know how many aren't now, that were before. It is awful for those not having the money now to get care, they were before at 3 to 4 times rate. Many middle class have no cushion, or don't have enough to pay a small emergency of a car or hot water tank. Have 3,600? You are 67% richer then most in world. No this isn't about the world but shows you how close to the edge the middle class is now. Is there any of you out there anymore? Or just the rich whining about how great this is and personal responsibility. OK once again remember the middle class is responsible for everyone, it is the ones taking advantage of a system you can complain about but won't as it is not politically correct. I am not talking the ones who need it, they get it anyway I am talking the user's and that is not the ones working, working two jobs or getting no help.

Last edited by AngelWingDesigns; 10-18-2014 at 09:47 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 10:07 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,829,722 times
The fact of the matter is that Obamacare is a success so far, with over 8 million people enrolled. Over the next couple of years, enrollment is expected to reach close to 30 million. When the Republicans campaign against it in the 2016 election, those 30 million people will NOT want to vote Republican at all.

Obamacare won't ever be repealed, but it will be superseded by single payer healthcare in 10-15 years from now. It's a segue to true universal nationalized healthcare.

As for the OP, you're supposed to deduct the insurance premiums on your 2014 income tax return. So I wouldn't get too worried about it. It drives down your tax liability.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:13 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,721,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The fact of the matter is that Obamacare is a success so far, with over 8 million people enrolled. Over the next couple of years, enrollment is expected to reach close to 30 million. When the Republicans campaign against it in the 2016 election, those 30 million people will NOT want to vote Republican at all.

My adult children all have Obama Care. All 3 are die-hard Republicans, so at least 3 of those 30 million will be voting Republican.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:24 AM

21,617 posts, read 24,761,074 times
Quote:

Obamacare won't ever be repealed, but it will be superseded by single payer healthcare in 10-15 years from now. It's a segue to true universal nationalized healthcare.

As for the OP, you're supposed to deduct the insurance premiums on your 2014 income tax return. So I wouldn't get too worried about it. It drives down your tax liability.
Huh?

I'm enrolled in ObamaCare. If you're not aware, that's the only way for people who don't have health insurance through either a welfare program or work to get insurance nowadays as non-ObamaCare plans cannot be sold. Overall, I think ObamaCare is a mixed bag. But then I'm actually paying for it as opposed to paying for part of it and getting welfare to cover the rest. Maybe if you're getting welfare for it you're more inclined to keep your welfare checks coming.

I've never voted Republican in my life, doubt I will. On the other hand, ObamaCare is certainly no feather in the Democrat's hat. If the Republicans kick the Christian Right morality to the curb and get real about fiscal conservatism, I'd vote Republican in a heart beat.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,154,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I can honestly say I empathize with the OP. I've elected to NOT have health insurance myself after seeing how much I'd have to pay monthly via the Obamacare exchange, considering I make just a hair too much to receive a subsidy. The promise of "affordable" health care coverage for all Americans was an absolute lie, and this is coming from someone who voted for that man for president twice. I feel betrayed, to say the least.
I did the opposite and saw right through his BS from the very get go.

I feel betrayed from his Presidential BS (period) as the laws and dictatorship style he portrays as well is an insult to this nation and world for being the POTUS imho.

There's going to be plenty of people who forgo insurance as they need to feed, clothe and shelter themselves firstly. My brother will be paying a 75% monthly increase due to OC although plenty less than what the OP mentioned.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:37 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,154,884 times
Quote:

Respectfully good for those who can afford it or those living a "mere" financial existence who get it for free as the increases are only in its infancy.

I feel that more unpleasant surprises to come.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:52 AM

18,481 posts, read 15,431,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelWingDesigns View Post
Also please spare me the budget lectures for the middle class. If you are poor, you get almost 50-60,000 in benefits a year. Yes look it up.
Not if you do not have kids or dependents...

Quote:

for those who want responsibility talk to the third generation, way to do it families. The middle class get no subsidies, no rent or food help.
Why should they? Middle class usually have some luxuries like vacations, brand new clothes every year, cable TV, living without roommates, etc. Why is the government obligated to subsidies those luxuries? Money is fungible so if they are subsidizing your rent and you are spending money on cable TV, you are in effect having the government pay for the cable TV. Why should they?

Food and housing are one thing, but when it comes to the extras, if you can't pay for it without govt aid, you can't afford it!

Quote:
Now will have huge premiums when wages are near what they were in 80's with food etc many times more, also don't show me your weird charts of why the Gov. doesn't count food costs, don't care. I care many will need help, medical help and won't be able to afford it, when we were already covering those people. Do you people honestly know how many aren't now, that were before. It is awful for those not having the money now to get care, they were before at 3 to 4 times rate. Many middle class have no cushion, or don't have enough to pay a small emergency of a car or hot water tank. Have 3,600? You are 67% richer then most in world.
If you have $3,600 your car could bite the dust and you buy a really old car for $3,000 to get you by until you can save up for a better one - I don't get why this is so tough to understand

If you can't save for even a $1,000 car repair over the course of one year, then you can't afford a car - tough. Take the bus, carpool, buy a scooter, or sell the car for $2000 and move to where you can bike to work.

The public is not obliged to give you everything you want just because you don't want to have to go without for a time. Buy what you can afford and we'll go from there.

Living within your means is such a lost art.

Quote:

No this isn't about the world but shows you how close to the edge the middle class is now. Is there any of you out there anymore? Or just the rich whining about how great this is and personal responsibility. OK once again remember the middle class is responsible for everyone, it is the ones taking advantage of a system you can complain about but won't as it is not politically correct. I am not talking the ones who need it, they get it anyway I am talking the user's and that is not the ones working, working two jobs or getting no help.
Two part-time minimum wage jobs? I'm unclear on what you mean here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance