Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:18 PM

418 posts, read 727,384 times

Advertisements

I just signed up for a plan. $340 a month, unsubsidized, gold plan. I'm pretty happy with it. When I budgeted a few years back, pre ACA, I had assumed 450-500 per month. My out of pocket payments for care will likely be higher than the plan I had at work until recently, because I've developed some minor health issues in the last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 05:57 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
My husband, who is 64 and retired, working PT, pays $358. a month (subsidized) thru Humana, with a $1500. max out of pocket. This is better than nothing, but still more than a typical employer plan, and a burden for us as retired people. He had delayed some doctor visits, so used up the OOP by March, and has lately had an expensive operation at no cost. Next March he will be eligible for Medicare, which is a lot cheaper, but the OOP is more.
We have only had experience with healthcare through an employer at WAY less than any ACA coverage. The new coverage is not proving to be very affordable, but at our age, he could not have gotten coverage at all because of the common pre existing conditions that exist in everyone past a certain age (NO heart disease, NO diabetes, NO cancer... just common ailments associated with aging).

Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
I pay nothing (yet up till dome other "change" hapoens)
Two people
Kaiser ( but I think we can switch. Wife likes Kaiser though

Old 10-22-2014, 06:49 PM

574 posts, read 696,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
So you are complaining two years ahead of time.

Who can say what will be then?
Are you suggesting I shouldn't be concerned about a future expense because it's not happening to me this very moment? I'm investing in my 401(k)! So of course I'm concerned about my future costs!

And regardless of whether it's affecting me personally, it's a fundamentally unfair law.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:29 PM

189 posts, read 345,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
Are you suggesting I shouldn't be concerned about a future expense because it's not happening to me this very moment? I'm investing in my 401(k)! So of course I'm concerned about my future costs!

And regardless of whether it's affecting me personally, it's a fundamentally unfair law.
You just have to ignore some people. they just have no clue.

obamacare just helps the people who could not get insurance or afford it. it sucks the midclass dry.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:49 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,299 times
Too much. I work, my wife stays at home with our twins. My work's insurance is over $1,000 just to add them onto my plan...yeah not happening. Decent HC plan for the three of them is $195/mo. this year but is going away at the end of the year...to a cool $500 with maternity. Sucks.

We either choose to not have another kid, pay out the nose for Obamacare, or just not have insurance and pay the fine (which I'm really starting to consider). Obamacare and the entire administration is a joke, I knew this was coming and no one would listen!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:52 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownuser123 View Post
You just have to ignore some people. they just have no clue.

obamacare just helps the people who could not get insurance or afford it. it sucks the midclass dry.
Barely helps the uninsured. Lots of them are in states that opt out of the Medicaid expansion, and Obamacare still results in close to 10M people not having healthcare. Scam. And yet, here I am struggling to make ends meet each month, I don't qualify for the subsidy, and I can't afford health insurance.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:17 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times
About $120,000 per month to cover 75 employees. This includes healthcare, prescriptions, vision and dental. Although there is and will always be price increase, compared to the horrid price increases prior to the ACA, these increases are very small and minor. In addition, finial yearly costs have decreased since the ACA was implemented. This is due primarily to the premium refunds under the ACA. Many employers keep the refund and do not pass it back to the employees, essentially increasing the employee’s percentage of contributions without their knowledge.

I don’t know what 2016 will bring but many mid-size employers I know have no issues with the ACA and actually like it.

I just want to add, its kind of shows a bit of ignorance when people talk about their employer provided plan and use only the cost that the employee pays as if that is the actual cost of their insurance. They compare their employer's subsidized rate to the market unsubsidized rate and pretend it's a good comparrison.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:35 PM

26 posts, read 42,539 times
Nyfanatic - my story sounds real similar. It would have costs my husband almost $800 a month to add me and the twins. I homeschool and work at home. I actually have a GREAT discount plan that takes care of me and the kids for dental, medical, hospitalization etc that works really well with our budget and our health. I couldn't wrap my mind around paying $800 a month, don't remember what the deductible was and not going to the doctor.

Sad there are people who were insured becoming uninsured for the first time based on premiums, deductibles and co-pays!! Nobody's talking about them and what is their solution other than a penalty.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:06 PM

80 posts, read 113,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Too much. I work, my wife stays at home with our twins. My work's insurance is over $1,000 just to add them onto my plan...yeah not happening. Decent HC plan for the three of them is $195/mo. this year but is going away at the end of the year...to a cool $500 with maternity. Sucks.

We either choose to not have another kid, pay out the nose for Obamacare, or just not have insurance and pay the fine (which I'm really starting to consider). Obamacare and the entire administration is a joke, I knew this was coming and no one would listen!
You didn't answer the question. You stated that your employer charges $1000 to add your family, but that's not Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance