Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,804 times

Advertisements

Is it feasable if say my income was around 45k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 01:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Well, it depends on many things, your rent, your food, your entertainment budget, your work social requirements, etc, but generally, I'd say "YES" but it would require a lot of sacrifice. Some could put up with that for a year, most in the US not.

If you can put up with the sacrifice, I'd recommend a second job as well, even if the second job doesn't pay much more than minimum wage.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
If you have $3000.00 per month to put toward your loans yes, otherwise no.

Do a budget and find out for yourself if you can swing the sort of financial requirement to pay off the student loan in 12 months.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:00 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you have $3000.00 per month to put toward your loans yes, otherwise no.

Do a budget and find out for yourself if you can swing the sort of financial requirement to pay off the student loan in 12 months.
3k x 12mo = 25k?

Old 10-23-2014, 02:14 PM

I have no problem sacrificing for a year. I would probably get a roommate to cut down costs and maybe pick up a 2nd evening job. I dont really know what counts as entertainment? And I dont really socialize because I work all the time. I grew up what most people would call lower middle class or even poor. So getting out of debt is my 1st priority.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:16 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
3k x 12mo = 25k?
It's not my math so I didn't do it, I suppose I should have stated if they have a "minimum" amount.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:55 PM

574 posts, read 696,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
I have no problem sacrificing for a year. I would probably get a roommate to cut down costs and maybe pick up a 2nd evening job. I dont really know what counts as entertainment? And I dont really socialize because I work all the time. I grew up what most people would call lower middle class or even poor. So getting out of debt is my 1st priority.
It's definitely doable! You'll need to make some big cutbacks but it sounds like from your background you are more than prepared to do so. I'd recommend some investigation into hyperfrugality.

First of all, (using rough numbers here) your income is $45K. After taxes you'll probably have ~$35K left. You need to save $25K, so that means you'll need to live off of $10K/year (~800/month).

You'll need to make a strict budget and follow it very closely.
  • Rent: get a roommate or perhaps even better rent a room from someone's house (what I'm looking into myself right now). Try to keep this expense including utilities under $500 month ($300-$400 is much better).
  • Food: absolutely no eating out. You need to cook or prepare all of your meals yourself. I'm currently at ~$150/month doing this, and I'm eating quite healthy. You could probably bring this down to $100/month. Do not buy name-brand or organic stuff, but you can definitely eat your veggies while doing this.
  • Transportation: your best bet is to not own a car at all. I actually bike everywhere myself (occasionally using mass transit) and don't own a car. You will save a LOT doing this. Bike to work, bike to get groceries (get a bike rack and panniers), bike to visit friends.
  • Cut the cable and use streaming services, cut the excessive entertainment expenses, etc.
With this kind of budget you should easily be able to crack $10K/year spending. I'm am at $20K a year right now and that includes a $1000/month studio and a once a year international vacation, plus entertainment expenses. Even in my ridiculously expensive area (you cannot rent a room under $600/moth here) if I cut all of that I could get to $11K/year.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
It's definitely doable! You'll need to make some big cutbacks but it sounds like from your background you are more than prepared to do so. I'd recommend some investigation into hyperfrugality.

First of all, (using rough numbers here) your income is $45K. After taxes you'll probably have ~$35K left. You need to save $25K, so that means you'll need to live off of $10K/year (~800/month).

You'll need to make a strict budget and follow it very closely.
  • Rent: get a roommate or perhaps even better rent a room from someone's house (what I'm looking into myself right now). Try to keep this expense including utilities under $500 month ($300-$400 is much better).
  • Food: absolutely no eating out. You need to cook or prepare all of your meals yourself. I'm currently at ~$150/month doing this, and I'm eating quite healthy. You could probably bring this down to $100/month. Do not buy name-brand or organic stuff, but you can definitely eat your veggies while doing this.
  • Transportation: your best bet is to not own a car at all. I actually bike everywhere myself (occasionally using mass transit) and don't own a car. You will save a LOT doing this. Bike to work, bike to get groceries (get a bike rack and panniers), bike to visit friends.
  • Cut the cable and use streaming services, cut the excessive entertainment expenses, etc.
With this kind of budget you should easily be able to crack $10K/year spending. I'm am at $20K a year right now and that includes a $1000/month studio and a once a year international vacation, plus entertainment expenses. Even in my ridiculously expensive area (you cannot rent a room under $600/moth here) if I cut all of that I could get to $11K/year.
Thanks for the guide. What about cell phone? The only thing I really like is having a smartphone lol I can get a plan at $30/mo so thats like $360 for the year but I would probably pay for that with the 2nd job.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:28 PM

574 posts, read 696,974 times
Quote:
Thanks for the guide. What about cell phone? The only thing I really like is having a smartphone lol I can get a plan at $30/mo so thats like $360 for the year but I would probably pay for that with the 2nd job.
Republic Wireless and Ting are also very popular for saving money - you should check out those and compare them to your current plan.

If you're comfortable with less spending compared to the normal population you are very fortunate. I would highly recommend looking at saving towards financial independence after you pay off your debt. Happiness isn't achieved simply by spending more, but it may be aided by saving towards your financial freedom, allowing you do do what you like (whether it's continuing to work, or something else entirely).

Old 10-24-2014, 08:04 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Also, find a place where you can walk to work and don't own a car. This makes a HUGE difference, and is an integral part of the sacrifice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance