Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 03:32 AM

43 posts, read 66,003 times

Advertisements

Wife and I agreed on a house and wanting to move forward with the process. House is 300k. We are split with me want to go with scenario 1, wife with scenario 2:

1: Put in 60 k downpayment and finance 240 k. Result in monthly mortgage payments of $ 1128 at a rate of 3.875%. End up paying $466,080 with a 30 year loan.

2: Put in 160K downpayment and finance 140 k. Result in monthly mortg. payments of $658 at a rate of 3.875% (this is 470$ of extra savings every month compared to scenrio 1). End up paying $396,880 over 30 yrs - Which is esentially 69 k of savings over 30 yrs - which is $2300/yr - $192 per month.

I feel like scenario 1 leaves us with an extra 100 k that we could use for other investments - what ? Not decided. Maybe rental property - maybe stocks. Point is I will have 100k extra to invest. Any one who had similar situation or maybe just some words for the wise please let me know of you think should be a better finacial move and why. I appreciate your time, as always.
Thanks.
PS: I know there is a third scenario out there (160k down, pay extra every month) - but for reasons i would rather not go over - dont want to consider that scenario at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 03:43 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Why not look for a home you can pay cash for have no mortgage then use the money you would have paid toward the monthly mortgage payment to rebuild your savings quickly and start investing with portions of that?

Old 10-26-2014, 08:13 AM

233 posts, read 191,096 times
Putting the investment angle aside, with that great interest rate I would be putting the LEAST I could down on the house as possible.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:31 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
If you want to pay off your mortgage put the larger amount and go 15 year. If you want to pay it off while still having flexibility go max down on a 30 year and make the same payment as the 15. If you are going mad down you should have an addtional 6 months savings after the downpayment.

We are in a 5/1 io arm but putting the equivalent of a 15 year fixed payment into savings

Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 AM

795 posts, read 1,268,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcorpus View Post
Wife and I agreed on a house and wanting to move forward with the process. House is 300k. We are split with me want to go with scenario 1, wife with scenario 2:

1: Put in 60 k downpayment and finance 240 k. Result in monthly mortgage payments of $ 1128 at a rate of 3.875%. End up paying $466,080 with a 30 year loan.

2: Put in 160K downpayment and finance 140 k. Result in monthly mortg. payments of $658 at a rate of 3.875% (this is 470$ of extra savings every month compared to scenrio 1). End up paying $396,880 over 30 yrs - Which is esentially 69 k of savings over 30 yrs - which is $2300/yr - $192 per month.

I feel like scenario 1 leaves us with an extra 100 k that we could use for other investments - what ? Not decided. Maybe rental property - maybe stocks. Point is I will have 100k extra to invest. Any one who had similar situation or maybe just some words for the wise please let me know of you think should be a better finacial move and why. I appreciate your time, as always.
Thanks.
PS: I know there is a third scenario out there (160k down, pay extra every month) - but for reasons i would rather not go over - dont want to consider that scenario at this point.

Sounds like your two options are not ideal, which is why you can't make a decision... neither one is really better than the other. 1. Investments fail, wife looking at you crazy. 2. Medical issue, etc, you left in financial ruin.

What am I doing? I did not put all money down... saved some in relatively safe investments in case I need the money. Personally, I think the best plan is to pay a house with cash though. I'll wait maybe two years before paying off my house.... Maybe earlier since I'm also making some business investments.

I like your idea of keeping some cash... depends if you can make the investments work in your favor. I'll admit, I have trouble with risk at times... not taking any can hold one back and not allow your money to work for you. But you can also lose it all on what you think is a "sure thing". Been there....

Old 10-26-2014, 09:34 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Why not compromise? Finance 200k and invest the rest. That way you're both equally (un)happy and no one's holding it over the other's head if investments go south or do really well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Why not look for a home you can pay cash for have no mortgage then use the money you would have paid toward the monthly mortgage payment to rebuild your savings quickly and start investing with portions of that?
Maybe he doesn't have 300k and lives in an area where that's what's required to get a decent place.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:35 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
The financing decision should be driven by 1) how much is the financing costing you and 2) what return can you get for your own capital if you do not use it to finance the home.

For example, we chose to finance a house we bought because 1) we got a fixed 15 year mortgage at 3.125% and 2) we felt we could do better than 3.125% having our money invested elsewhere.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:50 AM

178 posts, read 232,375 times
I hate debt. I would do option #2, but would do a 15 year mortgage.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:03 AM

846 posts, read 1,881,323 times
I agree with putting the least down as possible. I would pay cash for a different property...rent it out and use that money to pay down your mortgage on your primary residence. We don't know your situation (age/income/handiness), so this might not be a viable option.

Great time to take advantage of the low interest rates.

I have never been a big fan of idle lazy dollars, instead make your money work for you. Just my $.02.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:32 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcorpus View Post

Thanks.
It would depend on the rest of your assets and your age. If a large down payment would make it difficult to have a lot of equity investments, you probably should trim it down. But we're not talking about retirement accounts here (you can't put in that much in one year). I'd thus assume the money would be for nearer term goals (what would these be?)

If your alternative is a rental property, you should avoid it unless you have a similar amount of assets in equities (stocks). Too much real estate and not enough stocks is undiversified.

Having a larger mortgage to invest in stocks for long term purposes (> 10 years) makes sense at such a low mortgage rate. However, don't go much into bonds since you'd get a lower rate on them than paying down your mortgage, adjusted for risk.

Finally, if you have kids about to enter college, make a big down payment on your house (but still keep some funds in reserve of course) because home equity is not considered when applying for financial aid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
View detailed profiles of: