Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 01:29 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I guess I'm in the minority in that I would love to leave my kids with a fortune, with the hopes that they would build upon it. Wealth gives you options and I would love to leave future generations with more options and opportunities than we had.
Good plan if you want to spoil your children. When people don't have to work hard since they know a big payday is coming, guess what - they don't. They will live it up and blow it all on stupid stuff and there will be nothing left for the generation after them. There is ample evidence that this is how it tends to turn out.

Last edited by ambient; 11-17-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 01:42 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
You should start that now for your future kids.
Agreed.. So your kids won't hate you.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:59 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
As my reply noted, which you may have missed: Jack Bogle's Vanguard 500 went on sale to the masses in 1976.
True, but I was commenting on a post about the purchase of individual stocks.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:08 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times
Quote:
My parents didn't have nearly the money needed to pay for my college. I joined the Army and went later on the GI Bill. To be honest, I would much rather they'd saved me the buck a day like this article suggests than put me through college!
Yea, my parents had seven kids and didn't pay for anyone's college. Even if they'd wanted to, it would have been impossible on a Master Sergeant's pay. Most of us joined the military after high school, and a couple of us went to college on the GI Bill. A couple others enrolled but didn't get far.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:42 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Good plan if you want to spoil your children. When people don't have to work hard since they know a big payday is coming, guess what - they don't. They will live it up and blow it all on stupid stuff and there will be nothing left for the generation after them. There is ample evidence that this is how it tends to turn out.
Sometimes children grow up spoiled and sometimes they don't, it depends on how they're raised. I've met some pretty humble and hard-working adults with trust funds, and I've met some incredibly entitled, lazy and self-absorbed adults from working class backgrounds.

Our plan is not to provide our kids with wealth for the sake of wealth. Our primary objective is to work to instill in our family a spirit of generosity and service, of morality and social justice, of ambition and intellectual rigor. We would also like to provide them with the financial security to send their kids to college debt-free, deal with medical crises, weather economic recessions, etc. If that's something that you could realistically provide for your family, why wouldn't you at least try?

Old 11-17-2014, 05:25 PM

577 posts, read 1,001,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Sometimes children grow up spoiled and sometimes they don't, it depends on how they're raised. I've met some pretty humble and hard-working adults with trust funds, and I've met some incredibly entitled, lazy and self-absorbed adults from working class backgrounds.

Our plan is not to provide our kids with wealth for the sake of wealth. Our primary objective is to work to instill in our family a spirit of generosity and service, of morality and social justice, of ambition and intellectual rigor. We would also like to provide them with the financial security to send their kids to college debt-free, deal with medical crises, weather economic recessions, etc. If that's something that you could realistically provide for your family, why wouldn't you at least try?
Agreed, I think it comes down to more how they were raised than just simply the family background or the money passed on. You can see those behavioral differences even between kids raised within the same family, often because they were treated differently. Some very poor or middles class families "spoil" their children or some of their children, at least in relative terms.

I also agree with your take in the second paragraph. I wouldn't deliberately take anything away from them and use that as the one lesson for them to make something of themselves. I want them to have every reasonable advantage for the future.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:05 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
They didn't do this for me:

Make your kid rich for $1 a day
Why is failure to do this a reason to hate your parents? What does this have to do with Boomers at all?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance