Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 07:25 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
How old is the horse?

I kinda understand your wife if she doesn't want to get rid of her, since animals become our family.
There is no horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 06:36 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
I don't like to ever worry about my check account bouncing. If it gets below several k's I start sweating and tighten the belt buckle. It helps that my mom was raised in depression like conditions (she was a teenager when they got electricity or indoor water) and I was instilled with a better sense of need vs want than most people. Until recently I never bought new cloths (excluding undies) and I've never had a new car.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 PM

19 posts, read 32,787 times
Not sure if anyone mention this before but there's a cost to owning a house vs. renting. Things "break" and you'd have to fix them so factor in some saving to account for those situations. We learnt that the hard way on our first property. The cost to get things fix, even when doing it yourself is still a cost you must account for... what happens if the stove goes out? lighting? water heater? Heat pump or AC unit? Pipe leaks? etc.

Just be smart and have some savings to cover all situations.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:13 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You are bad with math. The second party in the marriage, any of them would still have the same % of success applied to them for their possible subsequent marriages and thus the end result stating that most people who get married, even multiple times end up staying married for life.

Speaking of data that can't really be tracked. How about your stated divorce rates, where did you get them from on how was that data compiled? The truth is the entire data set is very hard to track accurately
What do you mean the second party in the marriage would have the same percentage of success applied to them? And my math and data is right there in front of you, can you account for the 218 other individuals involved in the sequence?

And the data I posted is from the following source:

Information on Divorce Rate Statistics

Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
What do you mean the second party in the marriage would have the same percentage of success applied to them? And my math and data is right there in front of you, can you account for the 218 other individuals involved in the sequence?

And the data I posted is from the following source:

Information on Divorce Rate Statistics

The other 218 people would follow the same success/failure rate for first/second/third marriage would they not? Moderator cut: personal remarks

Look at your source and see the exclusions, the use of probably and so forth. There is no real accurate way to track this. But if the first paragraph mentions probably 40% divorce rate, possibly 50%, 45-50%and 41%. It would seem from all these various data points most first marriages don't end in divorce. It also looks like the per capita divorce rate has been on a steady decline.

Last edited by Marka; 11-27-2014 at 02:55 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 06:57 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Wonder if the OP will come back... I wonder about the horse!

Right now he is one-and-done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance