Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 07:21 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times

Advertisements

Become friends with your computer and its budgeting potential.
Use a spreadsheet or dedicated finance program. ("Quicken")
Budget EVERYTHING... mortgage, insurance, fuel, utilities, necessities... and a few luxuries.
Keep receipts - well organized. (Useful when tax time rolls around)
. . .
If you don't know how to cook, learn. . . ASAP.
Eating out, or eating prepared / processed food is a budget killer.

You can spend $18 on a pizza that you could make for as little as $0.75.
(For those masters of frugality, who buy bulk wheat and mill fresh flour, make homemade sauce from bulk No. 10 cans of crushed tomatoes, bulk purchase of mozzarella cheese, yeast, etc, etc)
. . .
There are some foods that one may need special equipment or exotic ingredients, but for the vast majority of cuisine, you can DIY and live the champagne life on a beer budget.
. . .
Cookware:
Avoid non-stick coated aluminum pans. Cheap crap. Won't last. Coating peels off into your food. Even the expensive non-stick coated aluminum pots (Calphalon) eventually peel, despite gentle treatment and hand washing.
Avoid enamel / ceramic coatings - they chip, craze or crack.

>> Most durable : cast iron - skillets, griddles, dutch ovens, etc. (need seasoning - built up coating of carbon which makes them black and non-stick)
(1) 10" - 12" fry pan + (1) dutch oven should cover the gamut.
(Special note : dutch ovens come in two varieties - kitchen and campfire. The campfire version has little legs and a lid designed for holding hot coals - for baking.)

>>Next : high carbon steel (restaurant grade) - great for searing meats - but they need seasoning like cast iron. "Good" pans are nice and dark after use. (Don't expect great sear with cast iron - takes longer to heat up - and cast iron does not evenly distribute the heat, so you get hot spots. You can sear beef stew chunks in a dutch oven, but you won't get consistent results with large cuts of meat.)
(1) 8" - 12" pan (depending on family size and portions)
(May substitute heavy aluminum - restaurant grade - go to restaurant supply store or order online)

>> Generic stainless steel pot set - Revereware (copper bottom), for example - fairly thin compared to the "older series" [made in USA] - but decent for lightweight cooking chores. Get an uncoated skillet - avoid non-stick coatings.
[] Tramontina (Wal-Mart) has some nice sets with medium grade st.steel (18-8), with even heat distribution base (18-10).
Tramontina 12-Piece Gourmet Tri-Ply Base Cookware Set, Stainless Steel - Walmart.com
Tramontina | Cookware, Cutlery & Kitchen Accessories
(St. Steel is tricky. . . and sticky. Most advise using med to low heat, and don't try to sear meat in them. Great for cooking vegetables, acid foods - tomatoes, boiling and steaming.)
St.Steel pots can multitask as mixing bowls, etc, because they don't impart flavors.
(If you want another reason to avoid non-stick coated pans - boil some water in an old non-stick pan, after it cools down, try a taste - blech!)

>> Stainless steel pressure cooker (4, 6, or 8 qt).
( I still have my 6 qt Presto, bought in 1977, and use it often )
Presto 8-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker - Walmart.com
( You could probably process a whole 10 lb bag of cheap chicken quarters into delectable stewed chicken, and stock. Save the bones, and make more stock, later. In fact, you can gnaw on pressure cooked chicken bones - knuckle first... while making caveman grunts.)
( If you like the flavor of Campbell's condensed soups, you're enjoying that pressure cooked flavor)

>> "Exotic" pans : __ egg poacher (or insert) __ Paella pan __ Wok (this is tricky - for wok hee, you need very high heat - more than most residential ranges can put out. Best traditional woks are high carbon steel and need seasoning. Avoid electric woks, especially non-stick. Blech.) __ Turkey fryer (special propane burner can be retasked for doing Wok cooking outdoors) + seafood boiler.

Watch "Good Eats" (Food Channel, or YouTube), for inspiration.

Years ago, I would have recommended "Joy of Cooking" cookbook, but it is no longer the best source nor is it an accurate reference.
You can find a zillion variations here:
http://www.cooks.com/

If I was "starting from scratch" I would get the Tramontina gourmet pot set, 1 cast iron skillet (pick a size that can use a lid from the Tramontina set), and the stainless steel pressure cooker. The rest, I would budget for later.

Last edited by jetgraphics; 11-06-2014 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 07:29 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
1/3 of your income towards a horse ?

Sell the horse and get another job delivering pizza. I've just doubled your income.

I almost think this is a troll thread. This is all common sense.
1/3 of his disposable income towards a horse, after the proposed house payment.

Reading comprehension.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:55 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
I was making over $200K before we thought we could afford a horse. (Not a house, a horse.) Turns out we couldn't. The $500-ish board bill turned into $2000 when the horse was sick, needed equipment, show fees, etc. Horsemanship is called the sport of kings for a reason.

Back to the drawing board. Rented apartment, two jobs, no horse, get some big raises under your belt, live below your means, put cash between you and the various disasters that occur in life. Save your (young) marriage.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:30 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
I think this thread is about to beat a dead horse. I think the five pages on this young thread gives the OP substantial information to consider.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:01 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
If you only have $1500 left after your mortgage payment then you need to get rid of the $500/month HORSE immediately.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
The difference of course is your only paying for usage in renting. You get no asset value and cost is over a lifetime. Make no mistake Tho your paying taxes; maintenance and a profit for the owner. Some tho find it easier to pay for space used with no ownership or asset gained. I would think if living for two year and not having not only down payment plus funds need to move in like furniture; curtains and even lawn maintenance equipment then you not ready to buy. The planning and budgeting should have started two years ago.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
As cars can get expensive What are your automotive needs? one,two or no cars,daily commute?,what make and model/s. Are you both working? how secure are your jobs and whats your current income?.
IMO it might be too soon to get into home ownership, you might want to rent for a few years and save up some money as a downpayment on that house//

Last edited by jambo101; 11-07-2014 at 12:26 AM..

Old 11-07-2014, 02:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
How did you change the title of this thread?

Old 11-07-2014, 04:13 AM

9 posts, read 6,613 times
I think it will not be sufficient for both of you, so try to work from home as well. Ask your wife also to work. In the internet there are also many options with the help of which you can earn money.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:49 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
I'm curious if the OP and his wife are both working 40 hours a week, and if they're both just making basically minimum wage. Two minimum wage earners would only be bringing in about $30K per year (which is what it sounds like they're making based on the numbers), which isn't close to enough in this scenario. I'm not even sure how they would have been approved for a $1500/mo mortgage, quite frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance