Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 04:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,503 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was interested in learning about any savings advice or tips you may have for young 20-somethings and/or recent college graduates, especially those struggling with high student loan burdens and credit card debts. All feedback and insights are much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 06:41 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
First, if your employer offers a 401k or equivalent then you should contribute at least to the point where you get matching funds and invest in a broad stock market index fund for your retirement. Second you start working off the debts, credit card first

Old 11-09-2014, 06:52 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Live on half your income or less

Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Roth IRA
Even if only a small amount per month in the beginning
Get in the habit

Old 11-09-2014, 09:36 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by International Gent View Post
Hello all,

I was interested in learning about any savings advice or tips you may have for young 20-somethings and/or recent college graduates, especially those struggling with high student loan burdens and credit card debts. All feedback and insights are much appreciated.
Spend less money.

Biggest thing to start doing is stop buying things you don't need on credit cards until you can not carry a balance. And that doesn't mean putting your necessities on the credit card so you have money to buy luxuries with cash either. You don't don't need $5 Starbuck fixes.

$200/mo for food
Cut utilities (iPhone, expensive TV packages)
Get a roommate
Get rid of the car if feasible

No need to necessarily be too drastic about it, depending on income/expenses which nobody knows except you.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:06 PM

9 posts, read 10,056 times
You know, people can tell you how much to spend on each area of your expenses all day long but it won't help you any. Only you know your situation.

The best advice I can give you is to sit down and write. Make a list of your priorities, needs and wants. Then write out how much you need to spend in each area and then make sure to create a buffer. For example, I know that I spend approximately $60 on gas each week so I budget for $70. Cut out non-necessities, I know that is kind of a given but I figured I would mention it anyway. A big thing in getting on track financially is to know what and how much you are saving for. You need exact numbers. You need goals. Write a list of weekly goals and put it somewhere you can see it often. Educate yourself, invest in a book. I recently read a book called 'Get a Financial Life' for those in their 20's and 30's. It is fantastic.

Feel like you don't make enough? First reevaluate everything you pay for and see if there is a way to make it cheaper (Cable, internet, insurance, etc.). Look into ways to make extra cash from home, look it up on google and you will receive a plethora of information.

Lastly, you have to self-discipline. It will be really hard to skip some of the things you are used to paying for, but it is worth it to receive financial freedom. Stick to your budget and you will get where you need to be.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:12 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VHcityinfo View Post
You know, people can tell you how much to spend on each area of your expenses all day long but it won't help you any. Only you know your situation.
The OP's situation is a blank page on his website.
My guess is that all these posts will be on that site within the week....

Old 11-09-2014, 10:56 PM

9 posts, read 10,056 times
Hmmmm. Good observation. And here I was thinking I was helping someone out. Lol, maybe it will get to someone who needs it.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:46 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times
Start out by putting 10% of your gross towards retirement, come what may. Add to that at least half of any future raises or windfalls. Never touch it. Invest in nothing but total stock market mutual funds. Thank me in 30 years.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:07 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by International Gent View Post
Hello all,

Why did you rack up a lot of credit card debt? Is this likely to happen again in the future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance