Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2014, 07:39 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't understand why people think that life decisions and financial decisions depend on each other. If you don't want to start a family fine. If you do, fine. If you want a lot of money to enjoy, fine. If you don't, fine. They aren't related.
Of course they are related - kids are expensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 07:39 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,946,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, I've never had a girlfriend or ex-wife or ex-fiance, whether she was an ex or current, go buy a wig, let alone tell me that I need to buy her one... I don't believe any of them went on to see convicts...

As far as the child support issue goes, I did a quick check of the NY State child support guidelines. NY is one of the more "liberal" states in the nation, and most of the guys ranting against this stuff also seem to blame or have an axe to grind with "liberals" for making this all into a big mess.

"After the court determines the amount you should pay for child support, the court then considers how much income you will have after child support is deducted. If your remaining income would be less than or equal to the federal poverty income guidelines, an order for a lower amount (for example $25 per month) may be issued. This amount may then go up when your income increases, after review by the court.

Also, if your income is less than or equal to the federal poverty income guideline, there is a limit on the amount of unpaid child support arrears that can be accrued (built up). The amount that you owe when you are at these income levels cannot build to more than $500."

https://www.childsupport.ny.gov/dcse...rent_info.html

Sounds absolutely criminal!!
A total lie. That's not what NY does. It may say that, but it's not the reality.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:46 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Agreed! If you want a family you need to be able to afford one. Anymore it seems that you need to make about $100k or more just to be able to afford a family.
Absolutely not. Millions of American families are making do on less. Even adjusting for inflation, my own family didn't make that much for any but a handful of years, and parents still managed to put money away for retirement and cash flowed at least two educations. We take good care of ourselves, we don't skimp on dental or health or a nutritious diet and don't want for any of the basic creature comforts like heat or A/C. None of us have had any debt (mortgage included) in 20 years.

If you think you can't do it, you're probably right. If you think you can, you're probably right. It's all about the mindset you have and your priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Although I don't agree with point number four. I don't have a wife and kids but if I slept in everyday I would lose my job.
Same here.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:56 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Six. Enjoy living in a self-centered, narcissistic society where people don't go through the training of raising children which teaches people to be more patient and selfless and self-sacrificing.

Seven. Miss out on the miracle of life, the joy of raising children which can only be experienced and not explained. You will never hear the sound of your baby laughing, the miraculous moment your little child begins to talk and walk, and yes, the sadness of the day they drive off to college.

Eight. Grow old, cold, and lonely, and have no children or grandchildren to come visit you, to do your shopping for you, to keep you company, to advocate for you when you can no longer speak for yourself.
Nine. Number six is irrelevant since some of the most selfish a-holes I know have bred and raised multiple children. So I think this society will always be self-centered regardless of birth rate.

Ten. Number seven does not mean a thing because you could always breed the next Elliot Rodger or Osama Bin Laden and then have every news outlet all in your business when they go off and do something hideous.

Eleven. Number eight is disproven by the amount of rare visits most seniors in nursing homes receive from their children.

Totally disregard 6-8 if you would not want kids anyway regardless of economic position.

This message was brought to you by the Diss, a proud childfree by choice advocate.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:57 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Lol
Quote:
Lol
Quote:
Ha!
This is what you started each of your responses with...
Quote:
I don't get all of this pseudo-psychological lingo?
Did you go to the Sarah Palin Institute For Studies Of How To LOL and HYUCK Your Way Out Of Losing A Debate?

Anyways...

Quote:
I don't get all of this pseudo-psychological lingo? Dude, either something is a good deal or it's not based on the data and analysis. I have provided data and analysis on marriage/divorce and BASED on that data, it's a bad deal. The risks are higher than the rewards. It doesn't mean ALL marriages fail, I NEVER SAID THAT. I said that your chances for failure are higher than for success...based on the data.

For example, deciding not to go to college nor trade school, and only compete in the general job market with a high school education, is generally a BAD IDEA based on data and analysis. That doesn't mean that everybody with only a high school education is screwed, it just means that based on the data and analysis your risks for being screwed is higher than it is for having a successful outcome.

Lol, right, so DATA and ANALYTICS are important in making a financial decision, correct? Okay, all guys like me are saying is that we did the analysis based on the data, and marriage is a bad DEAL based on our analysis. Making children is a bad deal, based on our analysis. A poster keeps responding that Marriage and Children are NOT financial and legal transactions, either this guy is naive or spinning propaganda. How in the hell can the two central foundations of Family "Law" not be financial and legal arrangements? Does this guy know what a marriage contract IS?

Ha! So you think I'm making up the fact that women spend the excessive child support payments on themselves and their new boyfriends (thugs)? You think I'm lying about that lol??
Okay, then show me some data showing what percentage of women receive excessive child support, and then follow it up with some data showing what sort of things they spend this money on.

Show me some data indicating the percentage of divorced single moms who date "thugs." If you can't find data showing this, then how about some data showing how many of them go on to date ex-convicts.

I appreciate peoples' individual experiences and there are certainly plenty of anecdotes that are accurate, but you're the one claiming you are functioning on a platform based on data, and then throws out the most anecdotal things to back it up.

Quote:
Dude, I wish I was lying, but unfortunately I have seen it all.......
No, you haven't. No one has seen it all. I've seen plenty myself, but I haven't seen it all and I'm not so close-minded that I just write off everything that doesn't fall into my worldview.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Of course they are related - kids are expensive!
I mean, they aren't directly related. If you choose to be a parent, then you just need to make enough money to take care of your children in addition to supporting your other goals. You don't choose one or the other.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
What's necessary often depends on who you ask...

I know folks that are doing well... as in providing for their family on a very modest income.

I also know folks that made a lot of money and have nothing to show for it... even a few that were living large with homes that were lost in foreclosure.

One of my modest friends is a stay at home mom and her husband has a modest salary with excellent benefits... they are simply good at making do... their new car is 15 years old and maintained to a t... no cable, no cell phone plans and no vacations... they are very active in their church for social life and talented... the church has a kids clothing exchange and they have never bought anything off the rack for any of their kids and you would never know it... doubt they have ever call in a tradesman... when their 1100 square foot home needed a roof... they did it, when the water heater went out... they did it...

Some people need a lot of money... I know people that spend 2k per month just on day care... the baby's room cost 5k and for what???

Old 11-22-2014, 08:45 PM

161 posts, read 219,270 times
Default How are you defining millennial?

I've read through most of this thread, but haven't seen the working definition...

Curious how you all are defining "millennial"?

Old 11-22-2014, 09:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimama1 View Post
I've read through most of this thread, but haven't seen the working definition...

Curious how you all are defining "millennial"?
I'm no authority...

pre 1928 Great Generation

28-45 Silent Generation

46-64 Boomer

65-80 Gen X

81+ Millennial (Those coming into adulthood in the new Millenium)

I took this quiz

How Millennial Are You? | Pew Research Center

My results said I answered the questions as someone as 40 years older than I am...

It's true that most of my friends have always been older and some very old chronologically speaking.

One more link

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/...pen-to-change/

Old 11-22-2014, 09:55 PM

161 posts, read 219,270 times
Ultrarunner, thanks for posting the quiz--that was fun

I score a 93...apparently I'm quite the millennial

In all seriousness, though, I ask because it seems there's no agrees upon definition. I've seen birth year alone span from 1978-1984 as the start of the "millennial" generation. In addition, many people seem to use a more "lifestyle" definition rather than a chronological one. So I was curious what people posting on this thread consider "millennial."

I'm thinking maybe combo age/lifestyle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance