Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 05:08 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Not everyone will do it, only the people with enough drive to get ahead. People who work for themselves are hired by their customers who need their services.
Right. Every single failed business in the financial crash of 2008, with not a single exception, failed because the owners were not motivated. It had NOTHING to do with external conditions. Its timing in relation to the housing bubble was a PURE COINCIDENCE, despite the odds of such a coincidence being very low, we must resist our temptation to attribute ANY connection between the two.

/sarcasm off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 09:11 PM

17 posts, read 20,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Not starting a family is one of the best ways for millenials to cope with financial trouble.
One. You can save more efficiently.
Two. You have more time to better your skills and employment , which leads to greater earning potential.
Three. You have a whole lot more leisure time to focus on fitness and quality of life, which then save healthcare cost.
Four. You are less stressed, sleep in everyday, quiet weekends, long breakfasts, and more time socializing with friends. It increases your happiness.
Five. You may be able to take more vacations and travel, which refreshes you and recharges your battery.
Couldn't agree more about not having kids as part of the younger generations. Isn't even in the thought process of me or any of my friends. We have too much student loan debt and no real job prospects. No money for kids or really anything for that matter. My parents keep saying they never would have thought this country could have gone downhill this fast.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:15 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraduatewithDebt View Post
Couldn't agree more about not having kids as part of the younger generations. Isn't even in the thought process of me or any of my friends. We have too much student loan debt and no real job prospects. No money for kids or really anything for that matter. My parents keep saying they never would have thought this country could have gone downhill this fast.

I know a lot of millennial who had kids with all of that. They all work multiple minimum wage jobs all around the clock. You still barely make any money, and forget about saving for a kids college fund. I think a lot of people have kids out of selfish reasons.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:29 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I know a lot of millennial who had kids with all of that. They all work multiple minimum wage jobs all around the clock. You still barely make any money, and forget about saving for a kids college fund. I think a lot of people have kids out of selfish reasons.
I keep hearing and seeing people mentioning about getting that college fund going. All I can say on that is that I wish my parents were able to do that. I paid for college myself and it took me 9 years to pay off!

Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I keep hearing and seeing people mentioning about getting that college fund going. All I can say on that is that I wish my parents were able to do that. I paid for college myself and it took me 9 years to pay off!
You want to provide a better life for your kids than what you had yourself. Kids growing up in a poverty family face many disadvantages. Like I mentioned before, no college fund, most likely growing up in a poverty stricken rural or urban area, a lot of times the kids end up like the deadbeat parents continuing the cycle. Why anyone would want to bring up kids in a poverty lifestyle, in a lousy area with lousy schools is beyond me.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:40 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You want to provide a better life for your kids than what you had yourself. Kids growing up in a poverty family face many disadvantages. Like I mentioned before, no college fund, most likely growing up in a poverty stricken rural or urban area, a lot of times the kids end up like the deadbeat parents continuing the cycle. Why anyone would want to bring up kids in a poverty lifestyle, in a lousy area with lousy schools is beyond me.
See that's the thing though. I lived a pretty decent childhood!

Combined my parents pulled in well over 100k, but I also grew up in Seymour, CT (New Haven County) and I have 2 siblings.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:53 AM

59 posts, read 68,368 times
As much as I would love to have a child/children, its a scary time to do it because of all the uncertainty. I definitely don't want to bring a child into this world I know I cant take care of financially, and I don't want to be working too hard that I'm not around the raise my child the right way and influence his or her life because i'm absent. My job situation right now is pretty secure however I know I do not make enough to take care of a family, or even a child alone. I make enough to survive alone, I am working on changing my situation and hoping that the future is brighter for all of us millennials.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:27 PM

574 posts, read 696,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I, for one, am glad my parents weren't able to pay for my college, and if I have kids someday I have no intention of paying for theirs. Paying for college yourself makes you truly value the education you are receiving, rather than squandering your time partying like all of my classmates who were there on their parents' dime did.

Paying for your kids' college is doing them a disservice. There have been studies to this effect.

Quote:
A new national study has found that the more money parents pay for their kids’ college educations, the worse their kids tend to perform, at least when it comes to grades. According to “More Is More or More is Less? Parent Financial Investments During College,” a paper by Laura Hamilton, a sociology professor at University of California, Merced, larger contributions from parents are linked to lower grades among students at a variety of four-year colleges.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentGrad1 View Post
I, for one, am glad my parents weren't able to pay for my college, and if I have kids someday I have no intention of paying for theirs. Paying for college yourself makes you truly value the education you are receiving, rather than squandering your time partying like all of my classmates who were there on their parents' dime did.

Paying for your kids' college is doing them a disservice. There have been studies to this effect.
Interesting take, but I question the methodology. 18 yr old students are not often in position to even pay for college, much less pay for college fast enough to allow them to graduate on time.

Nvm, it seems they aren't even graduating at the same rate.

Quote:
And despite their lower grades, the graduation rate for students whose parents paid their full freight was higher than for those whose parents didn’t

Old 01-06-2015, 02:52 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Interesting take, but I question the methodology. 18 yr old students are not often in position to even pay for college, much less pay for college fast enough to allow them to graduate on time.

Nvm, it seems they aren't even graduating at the same rate.
Isn't need-based aid also determined by the parents' finances? So if the parents can afford to pay full price, but they won't, the child will have an even larger debt burden? That seems pretty counterproductive.

It also seems like the best schools (Ivy, etc.) only provide need-based aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance