Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 12:04 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewford View Post
Currently looking for financial advice on my current situation. Will be 25 years old in March and have inherited nearly 500k. Right now it is mostly invested in a diverse portfolio of blue-chip stocks, 100k is in cash. I also receive an annual 25k from commercial real-estate each year for the rest of my life [unless we sell the buildings].

My current job I am making 50k per year and am studying for my series-7 and learning the world of Finance. This job seems reasonably stable and has a high ceiling if I can manage to be successful. We are a small firm only 5 employees at the moment but manage over 350 families with an average net worth of 5 million. We make 1% from our clients Net Worth thus the company brings in roughly 20 million a year with small over-head expenses and as previously stated just 5 employees.

Stocks I like for the future: Nike, Starbucks, Johnson & Johnson, FedEx, Facebook, and Green Mountain Coffee. Due to my stable job and real-estate income I am looking for a more aggressive approach with parts of my portfolio, definitely not all of it. Say 100k. I am open to any suggestions and all suggestions.

I know that at such a young age, with little expenses, if I can invest the right way I can be set for life. My goal is to have 1million by age 30, 5 by age 40, and 10 by age 50.

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any feedback. Happy holidays!!
Are these amounts by age in 2014 dollars (i.e. adjusted for inflation) or nominal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 12:04 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,827,161 times
Best investment u can make is investing in yourself, build your knowledge, so I recommend get to Barnes and Noble, Investment Section and check out some investment books before you put any money into anything.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:06 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
Wow, talk about a "humble brag" kind of thread right here. Reminds of some of the calls I've heard on Suze Orman, on the handful of occasions I've seen that show.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,642 times
I hear Radio Shack is set to explode! But to be on the safe side, hedge a bit and put some into Russian Rubles.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 13,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_72"]Rule of 72 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/URL]

Cutting to the chase:
This inheritance is a windfall that could very easily be the foundation of your entire retirement.
If managed carefully, it could even be your grandchildren's retirement as well.
Don't gamble with it.

otoh, and knowing this pile is secure, you are in the very enviable position of being able to
"take a flyer" using a portion of your own earned income and keep doing so every year.
Unless you're completely foolish at least half of those flyers should turn out well. Some very well.
Have fun with it. Learn something.

Thanks for advice!

I agree with taking a flyer on portion of own earned income is best option. While letting most of this inheritance can slowly grow overtime. By letting it just sit there, the longer the better, if it grows 10% each year in some blue-chip stocks by retirement (65) it would grow to over 10$ due to compounding. But it would obviously be difficult to not touch any of it till 65.

At times I think that I should also learn to live a little and make sure I do things while I can now before I have less flexibility such as kids, bills, mortgage, etc.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
But it would obviously be difficult to not touch any of it till 65.
C'est la vie.

You're making $50,000 salary now and that should only increase.
Find a way to live within your own means.

Quote:
At times I think that I should also learn to live a little and make sure I do things
while I can now before I have less flexibility such as kids, bills, mortgage, etc.
And all of that is quite doable on that $50,000. Really.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:23 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
given what you have told us, id probably see that money as an early retirement dream. i would stash it away and invest it aggressively to try for 10% annually over the long haul. id also sell the building and add that money to the 500k for investing. over the years, add a healthy % of your net income to the pile and let it grow until you can stop working.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:27 PM

6 posts, read 13,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Wow, talk about a "humble brag" kind of thread right here. Reminds of some of the calls I've heard on Suze Orman, on the handful of occasions I've seen that show.

Not trying to brag, don't see how I can be bragging simply because this is an internet chat-room when I don't know who you are, and you have no idea who I am. If I wanted to brag I would try and do it at the town bar to pick up chicks. This is anomymonous and I want it to remain that way for a reason. I don't like telling people about my financial situation. Therefor I thought a chartroom would be a good place to start.

There are just so many "experts" out there and I think the more opinions I get the better. Sorry if it came across that way.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Not trying to brag, don't see how I can be bragging simply because this is an internet chat-room when I don't know who you are, and you have no idea who I am. If I wanted to brag I would try and do it at the town bar to pick up chicks. This is anomymonous and I want it to remain that way for a reason. I don't like telling people about my financial situation. Therefor I thought a chartroom would be a good place to start.

There are just so many "experts" out there and I think the more opinions I get the better. Sorry if it came across that way.
dont apologize. who cares if that guy thinks you are bragging?

your numbers will require investing that 500k chunk plus adding monthly savings. dont put any large down payments on anything or pay cash for a new car or anything silly like that. you always want to finance all you can at very low or no interest in order to let your money grow in investments.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:39 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
invest long term and forget its there. save aggressively with what you make now. retire at 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance