Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 01:01 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,778,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiettimect View Post
Hi,

I wasn't being 100% literal, I thought you would laugh. But actually debt has been the primary catalyst in getting me motivated to further my education, work in private industry, simply to get ahead. For me personally debt is good. Perhaps debt will replace greed as the primary human force
I'm usually a proponent of debt as a useful tool, but I don't can't possibly consider this to be an acceptable use for debt.

It'll be a sad day when debt is the primary driver of human existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 01:29 PM

361 posts, read 385,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
I'm usually a proponent of debt as a useful tool, but I don't can't possibly consider this to be an acceptable use for debt.

It'll be a sad day when debt is the primary driver of human existence.
Fine, but for me debt was a motivator.

I had a good "regular" job, borrowed $72,000 (adjusted) to go to graduate school. This debt motivated me to work hard and find a good job.

A few years into my new career I borrowed $247,000 (adjusted) to open my own place. Trust me when I tell you that debt was probably the biggest motivator I ever had. It forced me to work 24/7 to make my business viable.

I still use debt to motivate me. But for debt I'd still be at my first "regular" job. Of course I'd be retired but that's another story.

Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i kind of figured that but i figured i should ask because if thats the case then the cost of the debt isnt really 3.7% (its less).
Only if that person itemizes. 65% of taxpayers don't itemize; generally speaking, I'm sure that people with mortgages are more likely to itemize their deductions that those without, but in some parts of the country the interest on a mortgage for a home priced at the median falls well below the standard deduction.

For instance, the interest in the first year of a $100,000 mortgage (which will buy plenty of house in my area) at 3.5% would be $3469, which is well below the current standard deduction.

So while you're not really wrong, you're not 100% right, either.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:15 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,827,939 times
To the theme of the thread, it MAKES NO SENSE to be debt free unless you have enough cash reserves to stop working tomorrow. If you don't, having debt that's affordable with low interest, gives you better cashflow management.

Does it make sense to be "debt-free" with $1,000 in savings but have an emergency pop up that requires the entire $1,000? OR, does it make sense to keep a debt load of $5,000 with a monthly payment of $75 but with savings of $6,000 so that when that emergency comes up for that $1,000 you can easily cover it?

It's why when people like Dave Ramsey RAIL against debt, just because he used it inefficiently leading to his bankruptcy, it ticks me off. Debt used properly, is an EXCELLENT cashflow management and leveraging tool. I would even go as far today that if you aren't using debt as a cashflow management and leveraging tool, you are sort of "behind" in terms of standards of living.

BTW.....the entire country of the US is ran on debt, so apparently the US knows that debt leverage is pretty sweet, huh?

Old 12-17-2014, 05:19 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Only if that person itemizes. 65% of taxpayers don't itemize; generally speaking, I'm sure that people with mortgages are more likely to itemize their deductions that those without, but in some parts of the country the interest on a mortgage for a home priced at the median falls well below the standard deduction.

For instance, the interest in the first year of a $100,000 mortgage (which will buy plenty of house in my area) at 3.5% would be $3469, which is well below the current standard deduction.

So while you're not really wrong, you're not 100% right, either.

We will not be able to itemize next year because we refied this year on a I/O arm and the interest drop will put us under the standard deduction so we will claim the standard in 2015, pay our 2015 property taxes in jan 2016 and then itemize in 2016 ah fun

Old 12-17-2014, 05:20 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
To the theme of the thread, it MAKES NO SENSE to be debt free unless you have enough cash reserves to stop working tomorrow. If you don't, having debt that's affordable with low interest, gives you better cashflow management.

Does it make sense to be "debt-free" with $1,000 in savings but have an emergency pop up that requires the entire $1,000? OR, does it make sense to keep a debt load of $5,000 with a monthly payment of $75 but with savings of $6,000 so that when that emergency comes up for that $1,000 you can easily cover it?

It's why when people like Dave Ramsey RAIL against debt, just because he used it inefficiently leading to his bankruptcy, it ticks me off. Debt used properly, is an EXCELLENT cashflow management and leveraging tool. I would even go as far today that if you aren't using debt as a cashflow management and leveraging tool, you are sort of "behind" in terms of standards of living.

BTW.....the entire country of the US is ran on debt, so apparently the US knows that debt leverage is pretty sweet, huh?
I have enough cash reserves to last a year without working and I'm also debt free and am on track for retirement. To each his/her own.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I have enough cash reserves to last a year without working and I'm also debt free and am on track for retirement. To each his/her own.
For my example, I would say enough cash reserves to stop working period, not just for a year. Basically, assuming your personal expenses stay the same, you have enough in savings and the monies you make off the interest on those savings, to carry you over. In that case, there's no reason for the outstanding debt carry. It's basically like being in a state of Retirement.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:32 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:

+1

Old 12-17-2014, 05:37 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
For my example, I would say enough cash reserves to stop working period, not just for a year. Basically, assuming your personal expenses stay the same, you have enough in savings and the monies you make off the interest on those savings, to carry you over. In that case, there's no reason for the outstanding debt carry. It's basically like being in a state of Retirement.
The idea of being in as much debt as needed until you have enough to retire on NOW is absurd. No bank would give such a huge loan to someone making a modest income. The last time they did that was in 2005-2007. I think you know as well as I do what happened as a result.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The idea of being in as much debt as needed until you have enough to retire on NOW is absurd. No bank would give such a huge loan to someone making a modest income. The last time they did that was in 2005-2007. I think you know as well as I do what happened as a result.
Wait now, I didn't say be in debt to your eyeballs and I didn't say to over extend on debt. I said use an efficient level of debt with interest and payments you can afford, for better cashflow management and leverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance