Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:02 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times

Advertisements

Making a long story short. I got a message twice in past week stating that "this is so and so calling concerning the affairs of the LATE mr john doe (fictitious name of course to protect my privacy). please call us. this is urgent".

The LATE mr john doe was the name of my first husband, who i have not heard from in over 15 years, so I don't know if he is really dead or alive, where he lives and don't really care. Out of curiousity, I called the number after hours to find out what kind of business it was, and it was some sort of collections company.

Mind you, this is where it gets interesting. I have had three other marriages and divorces since divorcing him, and have kept the name of my fourth husband. I have moved approximately 10 times to 5 different states in that timeframe. And have never kept the same phone number. When I divorced him, we had no assets, though lots of debts that he incurred in my name (credit cards) and I assumed 90 percent of them, and have since paid those debts.

First of all, I am wondering HOW they found me.
Second of all, if it were a debt that we jointly or i personally had, and i didnt know about, or was omitted in the divorce decree, wouldnt have this collection company found me in the PAST 15 years? It sure would have been easier to find me one name change later, not THREE MORE! And more so, aren't debts wiped out after 7 years anyway?

So what could this possibly be????? Any clues?
And would it be possibly detrimental for me to acknowledge this phone call and return it?

The curiousity is KILLING me. I have NO CLUE what it's about. (I do also wonder how the heck he died-I am 43 and I think he was a few years younger, so he died at a young age!)

I sure would like to think that maybe the unemployed loser that I knew, ended up amounting to something and had a job and somewhere along the line left me some money haha...but it aint a probate court or lawyer calling me, it's a collection agency, so dang, it aint that.

ANY HELPFUL advice would be MUCH appreciated.

Last edited by NOTAM; 01-04-2008 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 08:10 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
I think it's very very odd to say the least. Be very wary of something like this. There are people out there in the world that are absolutely perfect con-men. I haven't heard of an exact situation like this but I've heard of situations very similar to this where they go 'phishing' (yes that's the term) for your personal info. If they start asking SSN's, birth dates, etc.. etc.. you may want to do a Google search on the internet for the name of the company and see if there are any complaints filed against it for identity theft.

I have also heard of 'companies' that call and want you to call them back. Only when you do, somehow it connects to an offshore pay-by-minute line that charges outrageous amounts per minute. Be very careful with this. It was a long time ago, so I wonder if there any statute of limitations on some sort of debt your former husband may have incurred on you. Get a credit check done as well.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:12 PM

they did not ask for MY name when they called. they asked for "family of Mr John Doe". did not address my name at all. not even first name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think it's very very odd to say the least. Be very wary of something like this. There are people out there in the world that are absolutely perfect con-men. I haven't heard of an exact situation like this but I've heard of situations very similar to this where they go 'phishing' (yes that's the term) for your personal info. If they start asking SSN's, birth dates, etc.. etc.. you may want to do a Google search on the internet for the name of the company and see if there are any complaints filed against it for identity theft.

I have also heard of 'companies' that call and want you to call them back. Only when you do, somehow it connects to an offshore pay-by-minute line that charges outrageous amounts per minute. Be very careful with this. It was a long time ago, so I wonder if there any statute of limitations on some sort of debt your former husband may have incurred on you. Get a credit check done as well.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
they did not ask for MY name when they called. they asked for "family of Mr John Doe". did not address my name at all. not even first name.
I'd take it very, very cautiously. Do a little research on things before you try and return the call. Hey, it's been YEARS, they can wait a few days for you to take a few precautions, right?? Look into it, follow your gut, but be very skeptical. That's the best advice I can give.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
That is bizarre. BUT if as you say its a collection agency, they aren't wanting to GIVE you something from his estate, they are wanting you to pay off some debt of his.

Skip tracers are pretty tenacious when trying to hunt someone down.

I think I would consider changing my phone number, put it in your husbands name or something and forget about it. Maybe check the internet for references to this man's death if your curious.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times
I would not even consider returning the call.
If your departed exhusband somehow felt charitable and decided to leave you something in a will I would think you would hear that from an attorney.
Being that the call is from a collection agency, I think this is a can of worms that you definitely don't want to open that could cause you a whole lot of problems.
I sure would run a credit report check to see if there might be ID theft involved or anything on your report that you don't know about.
If curiousity does gets the best of you, DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION.
I think big red flags are waving on this one.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Thats a thought, could your ex husband have used your ID for something and you not be aware of it?

Old 01-04-2008, 10:34 PM

thanks for all the feedback and advice. i am sure it's just a "phisher". lindsey, i would HIGHLY doubt it. we have had no contact in 15 years and if he's still where i left him, he's across the country, and we have had no dealings. i am sure i am just a distant memory at this point. he was a loser but not a con man type.
i think i will just ignore it. however, i will get a copy of my credit report, as much as i hate to even look at it-i havent seen mine in years! though i am sure it looks alot better than it used to!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,116 times
I agree - don't return the call. After all, you're not "family" anymore. (And get a copy of your credit report.)

Old 01-05-2008, 06:21 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
bellestaroftexas
I would bet they are skip tracing, they maybe trying to find out if he had an estate that was probated so they can file a claim.

I know about the curiosity thing can you google his name this may show a death notice.
I doubt you will hear form them again if they should call again I would just tell them "I have no information, please remove this number from your file if you call again you will be violating FDCPA regulations"
If it was old debt the statue of limitation has expired in 15 years.

Pulling your credit report is something everyone should do once a year it is free
the best site to use is
www.annualcreditreport.com
most of the others will give you a free report is you sign up for their credit watch program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance