Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 03:02 PM

166 posts, read 369,930 times

Advertisements

I have Costco AMEX and I booked some travel during February using the card. I was always under the impression that Costco AMEX I have offers travel insurance i.e. in an event the flight is canceled or delayed because of weather or something, I will get full fare refund. I called them up to confirm and apparently, they don't have such coverage.

Did it change recently, or it was never on Costco AMEX card?

I am flying JetBlue and their insurance affiliate (Allianz) charged me 10% of the ticket price as an insurance fee, which is HUGE. Is there any other way I can get a coverage for cheap? All I am worried about is bad weather around my travel dates and my flight gets canceled or delayed that traveling doesn't make sense as I have timed appointments.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 03:06 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
The Costco AMEX card isn't like your regular AMEX card.

I usually use a card that I keep only for travel, it has all those really nice benefits like travel insurance, double purchase warranties and a host of other benefits. It provides a lot of peace of mind when traveling.

They can be more difficult to get but they are worth the extra effort. With those cars and a passport, you can leave with nothing but your wallet and clothes on your back and have a nice trip.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:43 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
The insurance is for ad&d not trip disruptions I believe

This is from Amex site
Quote:
Worry less about the unthinkable happening to you on your Covered Trip. If an accident causes your Death, membership can provide added financial security to your beneficiaries. Travel Accident Insurance♦ can cover travel by plane, train, ship, bus, or helicopter when you purchase the entire fare** on your eligible Card. Please read important exclusions and restrictions.

Travel Accident Insurance♦

Travel Accident Insurance is underwritten by AMEX Assurance Company, Administrative Office, Phoenix, AZ under Policy AX0948, Policy AX0949, or Policy TAI-AX0955. For residents of GU and MP, the Plan is underwritten by Tokio Marine Pacific Insurance Limited, Hagatna, Guam under CRCB000000106. This benefit is not available to residents of American Samoa, Federated States of Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Palau and the US Minor Outlying Islands. Coverage is determined by the terms, conditions, and exclusions of the Policies applicable to your Card and is subject to change with notice. This document does not supplement or replace the Policy. To be covered, you must pay the Entire Fare** with your eligible Card on a Common Carrier (e.g. plane, train, ship, bus, helicopter, except charters). Entire Fare** means the cost of the full fare for a Covered Trip on a Common Carrier. You can pay for all of the cost in U.S. dollars, or use both dollars and American Express Membership Rewards® Points. But if you use frequent flyer miles or points from another program to pay for all or part of the fare, you will not be covered, except for New Hampshire residents. Please read important exclusions and restrictions. To be eligible for claim payment, your account must be in good standing on the eligible card that maintains the original charge. For full Terms and Conditions, see americanexpress.com/TAIterms.
**Definition of entire fare differs for residents of New Hampshire. See full Terms and Conditions for details.

Old 12-23-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The Costco AMEX card isn't like your regular AMEX card.

I usually use a card that I keep only for travel, it has all those really nice benefits like travel insurance, double purchase warranties and a host of other benefits. It provides a lot of peace of mind when traveling.

They can be more difficult to get but they are worth the extra effort. With those cars and a passport, you can leave with nothing but your wallet and clothes on your back and have a nice trip.

Does Amex offer a card that refunds the cost if your vacation due to weather or job loss?

Old 12-23-2014, 07:50 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Costco's Amex does not have any trip/travel insurance, nor do they offer any card with that option in the USA. Even if you book a trip via Costco Travel and use the Costco Amex, trip/travel insurance is still an add on.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:28 AM

Thanks folks, Good to know. I was always dreaming that it is included.

Now the question, which cards offer such facility,
and, if there is any other way to get insurance for cheap. 10% of the ticket price is HUGE.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
Thanks folks, Good to know. I was always dreaming that it is included.

Now the question, which cards offer such facility,
and, if there is any other way to get insurance for cheap. 10% of the ticket price is HUGE.

There are no cards that I am aware if that offer this now or ever have. 10% isn't huge IMO, the insurance company would have to insure 10 trips and have no one file a claim to make money as one claim would wipe out the other 9 collected premiums

Old 12-24-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
10% isn't huge IMO, the insurance company would have to insure 10 trips and have no one file a claim to make money as one claim would wipe out the other 9 collected premiums
I agree, that is the reason I am looking for other option to insure the trip. Feb is a good month for winter storms, hence I am worried about it. While I can't skip the appointment, if the weather is bad, and flights are grounded, I will be stuck, won't make sense to travel later as I have missed the appointment.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
I agree, that is the reason I am looking for other option to insure the trip. Feb is a good month for winter storms, hence I am worried about it. While I can't skip the appointment, if the weather is bad, and flights are grounded, I will be stuck, won't make sense to travel later as I have missed the appointment.
I don't think we are in agreement. I don't think 10% for the insurance is a huge amount or too much

Old 12-24-2014, 08:57 AM

Thanks Lowexpectations,
I misread your comment. This is the first time I bought such insurance hence the amount felt huge. Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance