U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:50 PM

9,372 posts, read 5,296,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Because when you rent a room, you have zero control over who else you live with, over noice levels, over fights and domestic violence, over drunks and druggies and criminals who move in, over excess utility charges run up by others, over drugs, guns or contraband generally that comes in, or even which lowlifes come to visit. Not to mention theft and vandalism. I know all of these things, except vandalism, from experience.

Its false to assume that all rental units fall into these situations.

If by renting you mean low cost rentals or housing projects (since we are talking living wage... not middle class or even lower middle class), then they are low cost specifically for those reasons.

Living wage to provide the basic necessities or in my opinion, basic necessities to maintain a standard work week, is not intended to force the employer to provide you the means to exit such environments (as terrible as they seem). Its meant that an employed person has the means to meet basic necessities.

Even renting in a not-so-nice area is still meeting the basic necessity of shelter. The main differences of opinion in this thread is mainly around what is considered "a basic necessity".

I think it would be unreasonable to expect all employers of lower paying jobs to provide a wage high enough to buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 05:51 PM

12,665 posts, read 9,904,693 times
Quote:
Because when you rent a room, you have zero control over who else you live with, over noice levels, over fights and domestic violence, over drunks and druggies and criminals who move in, over excess utility charges run up by others, over drugs, guns or contraband generally that comes in, or even which lowlifes come to visit. Not to mention theft and vandalism. I know all of these things, except vandalism, from experience.
I rent a room too, and have been for the last 6.5 years. If I have bad roommates, I move. Now granted it does cost some money to do this, but not nearly as much as the people who assume that renting your own place is the only option would have me spend. I still get by on a lot less than I possibly could renting my own apartment, even factoring in moving costs.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:37 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,562,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I rent a room too, and have been for the last 6.5 years. If I have bad roommates, I move. Now granted it does cost some money to do this, but not nearly as much as the people who assume that renting your own place is the only option would have me spend. I still get by on a lot less than I possibly could renting my own apartment, even factoring in moving costs.
Freemkt is under the impression that his housing situation is the only one possible and is convinced better alternatives do not exist despite evidence to the contrary.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 PM

33,046 posts, read 21,944,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Freemkt is under the impression that his housing situation is the only one possible and is convinced better alternatives do not exist despite evidence to the contrary.

Eh? what evidence t the contrary? Money opens doors. I don't have money hence no open doors.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:56 PM

11,780 posts, read 8,562,986 times
Quote:
Eh? what evidence t the contrary? Money opens doors. I don't have money hence no open doors.
The countless examples of people showing you better alternatives. For example, $500/month can get you a 1 bedroom place in OH or a place with roommates in some of the nicer parts of Chicago. If you want to slum it you can get a place for $200/month in Chicago.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:13 AM

13,995 posts, read 15,986,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The countless examples of people showing you better alternatives. For example, $500/month can get you a 1 bedroom place in OH or a place with roommates in some of the nicer parts of Chicago. If you want to slum it you can get a place for $200/month in Chicago.
Neighborhoods aren't good enough for him.

Anyway, his problem is really more of an income one. You can only reduce your expenses so far. Saving $100/mo or something on a room here versus there, for example, isn't generally the easiest way to go about creating a $100/mo delta. Maybe if you're on a fixed income and can't work. Otherwise there's plenty of ways. I used to ref soccer games. You can make $150 pretty easily in a weekend, get some exercise and enjoy the outdoors while doing it.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:27 AM

33,046 posts, read 21,944,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Neighborhoods aren't good enough for him.

Anyway, his problem is really more of an income one. You can only reduce your expenses so far. Saving $100/mo or something on a room here versus there, for example, isn't generally the easiest way to go about creating a $100/mo delta. Maybe if you're on a fixed income and can't work. Otherwise there's plenty of ways. I used to ref soccer games. You can make $150 pretty easily in a weekend, get some exercise and enjoy the outdoors while doing it.

??? I already live in a low-rent neighborhood on the edge of town, 45 minutes from downtown by bus. The only reason my rent is so high is that the rent collector lives in the house thereby depriving me of the economy of scale one might expect renting a room.

e.g. house rent works out to under $250 per bedroom, but I pay $500 becaude a drunken middleman is renting the house and then renting out the rooms at $500 a pop.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:04 AM

1,996 posts, read 1,181,953 times
Quote:
??? I already live in a low-rent neighborhood on the edge of town, 45 minutes from downtown by bus. The only reason my rent is so high is that the rent collector lives in the house thereby depriving me of the economy of scale one might expect renting a room.

e.g. house rent works out to under $250 per bedroom, but I pay $500 becaude a drunken middleman is renting the house and then renting out the rooms at $500 a pop.
Freemkt, you are intelligent and well spoken. I know it's tough out there, but please don't give up. You have great potential.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:47 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
Quote:
Stop paying for cable for everyone.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:48 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,298,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Freemkt, you are intelligent and well spoken. I know it's tough out there, but please don't give up. You have great potential.
You sure see something I do not.

Freemkt will go from excuse to excuse on why he "can't".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance